“Comfortable room and great location but off the beach....”
Review of Semarandana

Semarandana
Ranked #12 of 139 Sanur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights here recently in a Superior Room with air con and fan. TV got 2 channels for English (HBO and CNN) plus many Indonesian.

Pot in room to boil hot water was great but no cups or glasses. Not enough plug outlets in room, so when recharging batteries had to unplug either light or tv or refrigerator. No phone. Bedside lights are very dim so not good for reading, but add a nice ambiance.

Comfortable beds and pillows but there were spots on the linens and also on towels. Great water pressure but it never got hot. Had tiny ants on my toothbrush in the morning, so would suggest putting it away! There were some tiny ants and I also had a kind of worm with lots of legs crawling in my bedroom, but easy to take out.

Air con was not very powerful but it was enough to keep cool combined with the fan. There was a wooden wardrobe for clothes and only 4 hangers provided. One draw had a key so you could lock it and there was also a room safe but instructions were all in Indonesian language.

One of my towels was very musty smelling. After cleaning my room they only left me with half a roll of toilet paper so I had to ask for another roll. ( there were 2 rolls when I arrived)

Breakfast was from 7-10am. Standard continental or an American style with eggs/ omelette and coffee or juice. Average compared to other places. And my first day the guy made a tiny omelette (1 egg?) compared to the normal size one I got the 2nd day when another guy made it!! Appreciated being able to substitute fried rice for the toast one day.

Staff----in general I found the older staff much more friendly and helpful. I was traveling alone and some younger male staff asked if I was alone. Returning to my room at night, I passed reception and said goodnight to the two younger guys on duty. One returned my greeting and the other just stared. After I got to my door but was still within earshot, I heard the guy that had just stared mocking me which I didn't appreciate. The younger guys need to work on their customer service skills. They have one guy there who has a ponytail and is their driver who was very friendly and helpful.

Pool is more for kids or a quick cool off. There were 4 lounge chairs but its all right next to the reception, so no privacy. You can rent chairs at the beach for around 50,000 or can find resorts and cafes to use chairs and/or pool if you spend a certain amount on food or drinks. Or put a towel down on the sand for free!

Location is great-- just walk down the narrow lane to the main road--- cross the street and cut through that resort to get to the beach(5minutes) or if you turn right on the main road Hardy's ( big supermarket/department type store) is about a 10--15 min walk.
Also a nice spa across the main road (next to the Circle K) called Cosmos that was nice too. Many cafes and shops in both directions on the main road.

Compared to other places you can get just as nice for a little cheaper price but overall I enjoyed it and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank ozzykhk
There are newer reviews for Semarandana

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Am putting in this review based on the fact that there was no response despite numerous emails sent through their website address. Was keen to try out the place due to the good reviews here and after looking at their website. As they are new, one would think that they would be happy to have inquiries and respond even if they were full. Would have been good for future stays but not if they can't even be bothered to track their mails and respond.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank OliveGoh
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We had to find accommodation for our last night in Bali due to a cancellation. I found this place down a long drive off the Main Street. Great position close to shops and the beach. Fabulous room very modern and rooms face out over the pool. friendly staff. Quiet resort. Got up too early to have the breakfast, would highly recommend couldn't, believe the price!

Room Tip: All rooms looked good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sidari14
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We were in Bali sanur for 2 weeks, the last second week were in sanur got lucky found a new guess house with very good price and excellent architectur. So peacful and friendly people. Close to the beach, spa and restaurant. Good AC, and mattress. Was excellent staying in semarandana. Thank you Mr kadek and Ibu Wayan and the guys. We recommend your guess house to all our friends, one of them will stay at your place soon. Good luck.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kadek-king
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed in Semarandana's standard room (300k/night) 3 times, total 4 nights. We made it our homebase because we liked it so much. Trips (which were not booked in the hotel itself) were to lembongan and ubud.
The hotel is very new, spotlessly clean, has a very good bathroom (shower but no bathtub) and the matress is superb. Great AC, fan and refrigerator. Simple breakfast included. Location is quite in the middle of sanur in a calm ally.
The hotel building itself is very appealing, it looks really peaceful and is calm. Good pool for sunbathing and plashing is also there.
There are plants all around the inner courtyard, but it doesn't really feel like a garden. But its still very green.
The staff is young, friendly and familial, but still keeps that comfortable, professional distance.

To sum it up: Great hotel with far above average value. Not so suitable for families with more than two kids, because theres not too much space to run around. Standard room already feels luxurious.
Can only recommend

Room Tip: Standard room is absolutely enough. Deluxe rooms just has a 2 beds.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sander W
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We had a look at three different other accommodations in Sanur before we arrived at Semarandana. When we arrived, we were immediately impressed by the architecture and setup of the house stay. During our trip across the whole island, we have had several accommodations and on first sight, Semarandana did not seem to be any less quality than other much more pricey hotels/house stays. We stayed for 6 nights and it was simply great. Very well maintained, new and spacious (deluxe) room with all facilities included (safe, minibar, airco). The staff was very friendly and helpful in arranging things. We were able to rent a motor cycle and they arranged a metered cab for us to bring us to the airport. The only negatives we could think of was that due to its small setup, it could be quite noisy. You could hear the phone ring at the reception when being in bed and clearly hear people coming home in the middle of the night when they were not very quiet. Furthermore, although quite common on Bali, the breakfast was quite simple and limited. Including some more bread variety and fresh juice would already be an improvement. Nevertheless, the price-quality of this place is so good, we can simply not fault Semarandana for these minor issues compared to the high quality of other aspects. Also, location is very close to the good bars and restaurants without having any issues with the noise coming from the Main Street.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GuiTo84
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed for just one night. Booked a superior room for IDR 320,000 (the standards were full) and got upgraded on arrival to a deluxe room since someone extended their stay. The room was very nice with wardrobe, safe, fridge, flatscreen TV, large comfortable bed, good A/C, clean and good looking bathroom with a great hot water shower. There's a small pool which I didn't try. Breakfast was about average. Staff were friendly and the location, just off the main road in Sanur was fine with lots of nearby bars and restaurants but no associated noise pollution.

I've stayed in 4 other places in Sanur and Kuta at about the same price and this was easily the best.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo