“Made my trip to Bali memorable”

Prama Sanur Beach Bali
Ranked #23 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 23 February 2013

It was our first time at a Resort Hotel so I have nothing to compare it to. This first experience was perfect.

We stayed at the Sanur Beach Hotel for a week. Upon arrival we were immediately met by warm and friendly staff who treated us like royalty.

1. Excellent location to the ocean. When they say “Beach Hotel”, they really meant it. The only thing separating the hotel compound and the ocean was a walking path.

2. It was much larger than expected. Two large swimming pools, tennis courts, many gardens, four restaurants and even a play room for children.

3. The rooms were large with a reasonably sized balcony/w table and chairs which overlooked the garden. Some rooms overlooked the swimming area and restaurants.

4. A well-stocked mini bar with inexpensive prices (in CAD: Pop and Beer - $2, Peanuts - $1.50, Chocolate Bars - $2, etc.). Two large complimentary bottles of water each day. You will need this as Bali is very hot.

5. Adjustable shower head for the tall people. The highest point would be around 6.5ft. Our room only had a shower, which we were fine with. There are some rooms with bath/shower combination but I believe they are in the Suites. I notice that some reviews indicated that the bathroom was small. I did not find this the case at all.

6. Best buffet breakfast/brunch ever. Incredible selection from American style to local fare. I found with the layout, even during the busy times, there were reasonable amount of space to move around and get what you need.

7. I couldn’t say enough about the friendly service. From the servers, doormen, front desk to housekeeping. During our departure a housekeeping staff was down the hall in preparation to clean a room. By the fact, that we had suitcases he knew we were leaving. He did not hesitate to come over to say good-bye.

8. Large closet with lots of shelving for clothes.

9. Four restaurants: The Tirta Poolside is an open-air restaurant that is used for the breakfast buffet. There’s nothing like having breakfast with the ocean beside you.

Basilico Italian Pavilion & Bar - We had our first evening meal here and it was excellent. Large portions of Calzone and Lasagna, wine and beer for around $35. This same meal in my hometown would have been double in price.

We never made it to the other two restaurants so I could not comment on them.

10. If you are on a budget, there are many small local restaurants along the ocean if you take the walking path in either direction of the hotel. A good size meal will run about $5 to $7.

11. Even though Hardy’s is close enough to walk, there is a complimentary bus that will take you there.

12. Free WiFi and working fine.

13. The electrical system maybe a bit tricky. In order to turn the lights on and bring power into the room, you need to insert your hotel card into a box located right beside the door. However, you can still charge any batteries overnight (cellphone, camera, etc). Leave the card in the box and switch the light off by the main controls located beside the bed. As some may find this a negative, I look it as a positive. This conservation energy saving technique prevents people from leaving the lights on in their room when they are not there.

14. A bank in the hotel for those who want to make change to smaller bills (only open from Mon to Fri). There is a MoneyExchanger right by the entrance however, they will not exchange for smaller bills. We came across this issue as we needed some smaller bills for tipping. Since we arrived in the evening, we felt bad for not having any money to leave our baggage handler. There is also an ATM at the entrance of the road leading to the hotel. Located on the right-hand side immediately after the security gate when leaving the hotel.

If I was to return Bali, I would stay here again. I was disappointed in reading some reviews who have this place at a one or two star rating. It's too bad the emphasis was placed in small negative details as to overall experience.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ProsaicTraveller
There are newer reviews for Prama Sanur Beach Bali

Reviewed 22 February 2013

The hotel is getting long in the tooth and it shows but it’s quite appropriate for shorter stays, especially when you don’t plan to spend lots of time there.
The sandy beach is very close by and you can get a massage there.
Lots of restaurants, bars, shops around the hotel. If you need to exchange money, your best bet is to do it anywhere but in the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2013

This hotel is a great value for money and a fantastic location. It is located right on the beach with two beautiful pools. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choices. The grounds are very large compared to other places we've stayed in Seminyak that are more narrow/ have less beach front property. This one is more wide than long and narrow like similarly priced accomodations in Seminyak. There was very little traffic compared to Seminyak so we were very pleased. Just outside the hotel is a cute little strip of hotels and some basic shopping and mini marts so met exactly what we were looking for. There were three little basic restaurants just a minute or two walk on the paved walk just to the left of the hotel (when facing the water). Just past that strip was another hotel...I think Puri something.....that had nice food as well.

Pros
Kids loved playing the live sized chess (right next to the pool and Shaded!!)
Badmitten (also shaded and right next to the pool)
Kids club
Variety in food choices
Location
Easy walk to other food options, mini mart, laundry
Manager/ staff very attention and very capable of helping with any need

Loved it!! Would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Cons
First room smelled musty. They switched it easily to a 2nd floor location without a fuss

We were traveling with a 1.5 year old who didn't really it/ could swing over/out of the standard wooden baby cot provided (meant more for babies less than one year). Management was very good to provide us with a pack and play type of cot for the second night onward. I don't think the cot issue is one specific to this hotel but one we'll start dealing with now that he is a bit bigger but if I did realize it would potentially have been an issue I would have brought our travel cot with us. Now I know! I was very impressed with the management. They were really wonderful. Spot on!!

There isn't much if any shade on the larger of the two pools in the morning. We dealt with this by sticking to the smaller (yet still very large) of the two pools. Both pools had a baby pool section which was a wonderful break for our 1.5 year old. Just wish the baby pool bit could somehow be shaded.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the ground floor (if picking a room that has the two floor bit) or per...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovetotraveldontyou
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one week, as a solo female traveller. Sanur Beach Hotel has definitely exceeded my expectations. My room was very large and comfortable. Hotel grounds were beautifully maintained. Excellent breakfast choices, and Balinese music was a nice touch. I used hotel's spa a few times, and was very impressed.. I have also booked a couple of trips through the travel agent in the lobby, and they truly went out of their way to make me happy. All in all, it was an excellent stay. I shall not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank TashTheLondoner
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Big hotel situated right on the Sanur beach. Nice garden with big pools. Beach towels provided. Rooms are good, breakfast as well. However the breakfast area is very busy, so if you like nice and quiet you may not like this. Staff is attentive and very friendly without exception. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RNdilsen
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The hotel is very large but still friendly. The breakfast buffet is extensive, can get a bit crowded. It has two large and lovely pools plus it is directly on the beach. Reasonable number of lounges and umbrellas around both. Lots of cheap nice places to eat out right next to the main gate, plus many little shops. Also along the beach bike path great cheap places to eat with spectacular sea views. Hourly shuttle to supermarket very useful! A great hotel for all ages. Dr on site plus musicians play ambient Balinese music throughout the day and hotel.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra P
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stopped for 1 night at the Sanur beach after a 15 night stay in lombok arrived lunch time greeted warmly by reception and given a much needed cold drink. Got to the room which was a superior my wife looked at me quite perplexed we glanced into the bathroom and boy was it small 4 large steps and I opened the door to the balcony, well what can I say a small space with an awful set of table and chairs its hard to describe them to be honest it's what you'd find in a tatty run down b&b in Blackpool. Stood outside and literally the next door balcony was right next to you divided by a gap no privacy whatsoever. My wife rang reception to enquire if this was a standard nope superior on the plus side everything worked but boy it was honestly like being back in the 70's. The pool beckon'd so off we go through the myriad of corridors and out to the 2 pools very nice to but no shade fom any trees surrounded by rings of sun beds like being in benidorm . Because of the lack of shading it was like stepping into a bath so no relief from the heat so dried out and headed out for an ice cold bintang. Breakfast time sat to the table in a vast outside restaurant along comes coffee in a plastic flask looked across the masses and saw an egg station thought omelette for me didn't fancy the scrum for the one and only toaster or the free for all at the various food areas. I watched my friend order his omelette all no chilli in a bowl the cook spooned in raw mushroom onion cooked ham cooked chicken cheese pepper and some other veg bunged in 2 eggs mixed it tipped it into a hot pan stirred it with a fork tossed up this mix fried it a bit more and there's your ahem! Omelette I plum'd for a straight omelet after seeing that breakfast was an awful experience so in a nut shell staff were lovely everything worked and was functional the pools got to warm and u have to be up early to claim a bed plenty of choice at breakfast but you'll have to fight your way to it if you like a buntlins or pontins type of holiday it's the place for you if you like a more sedate hol with shaded pools and pleasant gardens go to the mercure or puri satrian.

Room Tip: Anything higher than superior must be better
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends