“Very poor quality at an exorbitant price”
Review of La Taverna Suites

La Taverna Suites
Ranked #41 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Sanur
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked and paid for 14 nights in what was described to us a 'rustic, italian style hotel'. We arrived and were sadly dissapointed. Our room was small, old and in dire need of a renovation. Our bed was situated on a raised platform (0.5 m) and due to my wifes pregnancy was just asking for a trip to the hospital after a midnight toilet run.

We asked to change rooms but were told we would have to pay for the privelige. Our room was now costing $180 AUS per night.

The second room (which was an upgrade) was no better. The room had no hot water, which they couldn't fix, the drainage in the shower didn't work and our bed was harder than stone. We asked for a comfier bed but were told they were all the same and nothing could be done.

After two nights in the hotel we decided to find somewhere else to stay for the remainder of our trip. The fact that we lost nearly $1500 by moving accomodation shows how poor the hotel quality was. The french manager refused to refund us any money.

This was my 9th time to Bali and usually I have no issues with any of the hotels I stay in. I highly recommend that no one uses this hotel as there are much nicer and cheaper hotels in the same area.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank pinkbit

Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night at this hotel and am glad I didn't stay longer. Frankly I don't understand the rave reviews this hotel has received. The setting is nice - right on the beach and with an okay pool. However, although I had asked for a room on a higher floor because I sleep with open window, I was actually given one on the ground floor. It was also a very dark room (no. 12), but because it was only one night I didn't want the hassle of asking for a change. I didn't feel comfortable though - strange noises all through the night, and in the morning then a flurry of activity of a group of large cockroaches when I came into ghe bathroom. Yikes. I understand you may have the odd creature in your room in the tropics, but this was really bad for a hotel with these prices and reputation. Would certainly never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Steffi32
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed here in May for 5 nights in a very spacious garden deluxe suite. It was extremely clean, comfortable and more luxurious than I had expected. I had read a few negative reviews about the rooms and possibly those travellers are either a little precious and don't appreciate Bali for it's natural beauty. This isn't a 6 star hotel but I would choose to stay here over a fancy hotel with all the bells and whistles. The staff were more than accommodating; the manager was always floating around and available to assist where needed. There is always a driver out the front of the hotel ready to take you wherever you want to go. Next door is a spa that offers the most amazing massages....at very affordable prices. Fabulous restaurants within walking distance. I used trip advisor to find these restaurants and it's definitely worth spending the time and browsing this site (and I don't work for them!). We ate at Three Monkeys, Kayu Manis and coffeed at Grocer & Grind. All exceptional.

Room Tip: Garden Deluxe Suite. You will pay a little more but it's worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank skjte_12
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Very expensive an poor Restaurant! Breakfast is very very poor and by far the worst we have had in the month we travelled indonesia. The wifi is only working in the Restaurant. The Location and staff are however brillant but get often blamed for the Bad Situation in the Restaurant which is very sad.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My wife and I went here for a long weekend in April and really enjoyed the location.
The hotel is located right on the boardwalk On sanur beach and only has about 30 or so rooms hidden around the tropical vegetation. Its very quiet and comfortable. Service is good, pool and facilities are cared for and you are surprised that there is a hotel this nice just off the main road in Sanur ( you don't feel the big city when you are inside). We will definitive recommend this to our friends who come to Bali looking for a smaller more authentic experience. Note the architecture in the rooms is typical for Bali and favors shorter folks. Only area for improvement is higher quality towels and linens.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is a lovely, well established, beautiful, small beachside hotel with multi-room cottages in garden grounds. It is in a good location in Sanur for restaurants and shops but it is still private and quiet as the property is located way back from the street. It is also right on a lovely beach, perfect for swimming. The garden grounds, hotel buildings and elegant rooms all have a Bali atmosphere. The beach is quiet and relaxing, as the reef reduces the surf so swimmiing is easy. Hotel also has a nice big deep pool, and an outdoor bar and restaurant by beach & pool with good food. Hotel provides comfy lounge chairs, beach towels and umbrellas to make for a great day at the beach. . We went sailing and snorking which was great fun. The only thing that took away from our perfect stay was that some beach vendors rent jet skis and the jet skiers sometimes come close to the beach and disturb the quiet and interrupt the swimmers. The town of Sanur and the hotels should really ban or restrict them. Not every beach area needs to offer jet skiing. Sanur is known as the quieter Bali beach. They should try to keep it that way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ArezzoNM
Reviewed 5 April 2013

A delightful hotel in Sanur Beach, family run, who were very responsive to any request or issue raised. Beach front views, and our villa had a private roof top lounge area looking out onto the sea. Most villas had use of private or shared pagodas for relaxation. Easy walking to shops and restaurants and a very vibrant beach community to keep you amused, and massaged! Bike rentals a great way to spend time on the well constructed and maintained Boardwalk, which gives access more restaurants, spas and shops!. A thoroughly delightful way to spend a few days of total R&R

Room Tip: All villas are separate, so you pick one that suits your needs best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple