“3 star quality in Bali.”
Review of Bumas Hotel

and 1 more site!
Bumas Hotel
Ranked #65 of 79 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I had a budget holiday in Bali in 2012 booked through Travelzoo, and it was a bargain... despite having to pay a single suppliment, as I was travelling alone.
There has been a lot written on the Bumas Hotel, and most of it I agree with. Its a 3 star, staff are very friendly, beds are comfortable, and the rooms are quite large.
Being in a side street there is little noise, and it is interesting to delve down these streets as a change from going to the beach. I spent one happy afternoon eating and drinking at a small shop with an elderly man, his son and a cockerel for company. You can also find backstreet markets not too far away from the hotel. Just be prepared to haggle!
The hotel breakfast (as said elsewhere) is just about adequate. There are however many places to dine and food is exceptionally good value. Try the Nasi Gurang, its a rice dish and its very good. I have attempted to make it since I have returned home... but I cannot match the Bali way of cooking it. Looks like I will have to go back!
During my stay I made friends with a Bali resident who took me all over the island for very little money (She was not an official taxi driver but was making a bit of money on the side). I have used real taxis in this way in India as well. Its the best way to get around. Kuta is nearby and we did go there, but I prefer Sanur, it has a more steady pace and less late night clubs. Go to Kuta if you are under 35, single, with a woman or a bunch of mates!
To sum up. The hotel staff were friendly, hotel was well placed for me, breakfast was poor but the setting for breakfast was great, overlooking the gardens and pool.
Would I go back? Yes!

Room Tip: Get a room as near as you can to the pool. Its great on an evening to sit in the porch sipping a bee...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jimmydonutuk

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed here as a part of a 12 day package that was very inexpensive. We could have paid alot more for a 5 star, but we generally stay at smaller budget hotels when we travel.

The location is the bonus - you are back down a side street far enough that you don't hear the scooters and other traffic, but close enough that all restaurants, shops, and other services are just a few minutes walk, if that.

We were in room #106 that was on a second story overlooking one of the pools. Behind us was a local home and we were able to watch part of their ceremony one morning where they were making offerings at their temple within their yard. They waved and didn't seem uncomfortable with us looking on.

Our room was a good size and we had a king sized bed which was comfortable but very creaky. The bathroom was a little spartan, with some mould on the tiles at the base of the shower which had no shower curtain. We always had good water pressure and hot water (except for one instance later in the day) once you let the water run for about 5 minutes. We had no problems with our toilet, or lack of towels that others have reported. Yes, the towels and sheets are dingy, but they are clean.

We found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful and always with a smile. The dining room staff always seemed surly. The breakfast was spartan and repetitive, but it was included with the package. There was always juice, fruit, bread (white & whole wheat), butter, honey and jam in addition to fruit fritters (banana or pineapple) and Indonesian pancakes (thin crepe-like pancakes that had coconut, banana or pineapple inside) and rice or noodles. There was coffee & tea which were hot, but not the best quality. If there weren't dishes, you simply had to ask. We found that used tables were cleaned promptly and re-set. There are restaurants close by that have an inexpensive breakfast if you don't like the Bumas offerings.

Internet was $1 (US) per day and you were given a password. We found that wi-fi worked for longer than the one day we paid for and it was available from our room, perhaps because we were close to the desk. Others sat in the lobby to use it.

Panorama tours did our airport transfers and the 5 tours that were included with our package. With the exception of one guide who didn't seem to have much "oomph", the rest of the guides and drivers were excellent. Pick-ups were prompt.

In addition to the included tours, we also did the Bali Elephant Camp which we really enjoyed. Our Panorama rep "Kaliman" booked it for us. We did the Bali Zoo which we also enjoyed and the front desk staff at the hotel booked it for us ($1 for the phone call) and the Zoo picked us up, made sure we had a quick check-in at the zoo and returned us to our hotel at a specified time.

We went down to the beach one morning to watch the sunrise (about 6:30 when we were there) which was spectular with the orange glow behind the pier and pagodas and with the mountains in the distance.

We would recommend reflexology treatments $4 US for an hour (!!) at the Angel Spa just around the corner to the left on the main street and across the road. We also had the "fish pedicure" that you will find along the streets - the one we used was across from Angel Spa and was $3.50 for 15 minutes - interesting.

Ask the front desk at the hotel for the name of the money exchange down the street from the hotel. Some of the "side alley" money changers charge commission, so although their posted rates look good, the place we went to was a better deal and more legitimate. We took US dollars, but next time would just take Canadian dollars and avoid fees for changing money twice. The rate for Canadian was good at the money exchange.

We like to try different restaurants and rarely go back to the same place twice, but we did go to Warung Little Bird numerous times (very inexpensive - don't be turned off by the rustic look of the place, the food is great), Secrets Gelato (yummy & some unique flavours) and Lilla Warung which is sort of behind the hotel. When you leave the gate, turn right down the side street and it is just a few steps. We spent a few days looking for this place thinking it was on the main street and then noticed it our last day. There are lots of more polished restaurants but we didn't find that more expensive meant better food. We really didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were in Sanur.

If you are a budget traveller and are used to hotels that are a little worn and in need of maintenance and redecoration, then you will be comfortable here. If you are a traveller looking for polish and posh, or looking for 5 star at a 3 star price, then definitely don't book here.

We talked to tourists at this hotel who have been here 17 times, so that says something. As long as you are realistic in your expectations this is a good budget choice. Knowing what we know, we would stay here again, but it is definitely not for everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LeeMike
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 12 days, as part of a package. This place has a lot going for it, such as beautiful grounds, a good location (although not on the beach) and a friendly, helpful staff. However, there are also a lot of problems.

The bathroom was definitely substandard. The toilet didn't flush properly and often would not stop running. I spoke to the front desk about it, but nothing happened to fix it. It wasn't a big deal to take the top off the toilet and stop it running manually, but that's not something you want to be doing on a holiday. The water pressure in the shower was poor to non-existent and the hot water took several minutes of water running to appear, when it did appear.

There were also some little problems, which were puzzling. One of the lamps in our room didn't have a light bulb. The person checking us in noticed when he tried to turn on the lights and I assumed it would be fixed. It wasn't. I spoke to the front desk about it, but, for some reason, they wouldn't give us a bulb. Very strange.

I should also mention that the breakfast was, to put it charitably, underwhelming. If you do stay here, I recommend picking up some jam and fruit to eat in the morning.

We got the hotel as part of a very cheap package, so I guess we got what we paid for. However, I would not chose to stay at this hotel if I had an opportunity to book elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank igs
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I have recently returned from 9 days at the Bumas. I think this is the worst hotel I`ve stayed in and I`m a seasoned traveller to 3rd world countries. The bathroom was un-hygienically filthy and in all the time there I did not have any warm water, let alone hot.Neither the telephone or the tv worked(not really a prob as I didn`t need them) but the hot water and dirty bathroom certainly were. The gardens and the pools were lovely. Mostly the staff were helpful but the kitchen/restaurant were "stroppy" if asked for even the simplest of things like cutlery!! It might be a "budget Hotel " but that is no excuse for lack of hot water and filth.
Anyway beware!!!

Room Tip: rooms at the back end of the pool are quieter but dark.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank LIZ G
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I recently stayed for 2 1/2 weeks at the Bumas...2 weeks on a package and the other days out of choice. With friendly staff, a large clean twin room, beautifully landscaped grounds, relaxing pools and the sound of cooing doves it didn't take long for my sister and I to adopt a new 'home away from home". These are the things that made the Bumas stand out for me, never mind the perfect location in the centre of Sanur and only 5 minutes from the beach!
The little things like well-used towels, plumbing issues and a 3 star breakfast are minor inconveniences when looking for a pleasant, relaxing stay in a reasonably priced hotel at a very popular beach island like Bali. After all, this is a 3 star hotel....with 5 star staff and service. They took very good care of us and always willing to help and treat us like family. I will stay at the Bumas and recommend it to friends if we travel to Bali again.

Room Tip: rooms in the newer section near the back pool....
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lauragrn
Reviewed 28 November 2012

My sister and I just returned from 3 weeks in Bali. Except for 3 days, we spent the entire time in Sanur and at the Bumas Hotel. We found it a wonderful home away from home. The people are amazing - so friendly and helpful!

Our room was very nice, the beds really comfortable and the air conditioning worked flawlessly. This is an older hotel so there are some plumbing issues, but we didn't experience any problems. I agree that they need to replace their towels or use bleach to wash them, but that is just not that important. What we loved were the beautiful landscaping, 2 gorgeous and very clean swimming pools as well as a comfortable lobby where we met other guests and made new friends. People do 'mark their territory' with a towel and leave it there, so at times it is hard to get a deck chair. But this is just bad manners on the part of the guests, not a fault of the hotel.
We had a wonderful time and would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a good place to stay at a very reasonable price. Thank you Bumas!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 200 section and were very happy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank suegcanada
Reviewed 9 November 2012

As some have stated "value for money"??
Key points to keep in mind,
- five days no hot water
- broken and insufficient lounge chairs (guest fight for lounge chairs)
- broken 3 days constant flushing toilet, ( I fixed it in the end myself)
- broken cupboard doors
- dirty curtains
- two odd old wire coat hangers
- insufficient china for breakfast (staff informed "because guest take to rooms" but china was laying around the resort)
- luke warm coffee and tea (broken thermos)
- cold stir fry and mie for breakfast (broken warmer)
- dirty breakfast serving counter
- tiles in pool broken
- pool spa broken
- towels dirty smell like fat?
- the G manger (hah haha ahha) was "invisible" but had a nice mini golf putting green in her office?
- fridge rental (it was entertaining to watch the staff carry mini bar fridges round the resort)
total apathy from the staff the hotel is in a state of disrepair both the staff and management are at a loss. The reply always "sorry" and no corrective action. Yes you get what you pay for, but basic Hotel Management is sadly lacking from top to bottom. Value is not connected to basic hospitality management
i.e hot coffee and cups for breakfast.

Room Tip: better at the rear or the resort
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple