“Friendly basic accommodation”

Ranked #65 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
yorkshire
“Friendly basic accommodation”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

As mentioned in the earlier review by Carl this hotel is a cheap budget hotel so visit with this in mind. We have stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and returned again because the price is so cheap. Having researched and price checked all flights to Bali for ourselves and two teenage daughters, a package with Thomson Worldwide/Hayes and Jarvis was as cheap with this hotel included in the price, so basically our accommodation was virtually free. The hotel is in a good location in the centre of Sanur. the grounds are pretty and there are two pools. Yes there are some issues with some tiles or grouting, but having two daughters who enjoy spending time in the pool these minor issues do do cause a problem unless you are keen to inspect and moan. The gardens are pretty, well tended and peaceful. We never failed to get a sun lounger for the four of us at any time of day. Breakfast is basic but again for the price of the holiday what can you expect. On days we wanted sample something different for breakfast there are many restaurants on the doorstep where you can have a full breakfast including drinks for little more than a couple of pounds. The rooms are basic but spacious. The bathrooms look like they could do with a bit of a facelift but they are more than adequate. The air con worked well and our rooms were aleays a nice temperature. Both our rooms were spotlessly cleaned each morning with fresh bedding and towels. But when we are away on holiday the only time we spend in our room is to sleep at night and to change on an evening so for me as long as the room is clean then decor etc is not an issue. One evening the electrics failed in our room. My husband attended reception and within the time it took him to return the maintenance man had already arrived and fixed the problem immediately. The staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. We requested extra pillow and these arrived promptly.

Yes there are more luxurious hotels to stay in, but if you want luxury pay the price. If you want to pay so little for your accommodation then bear this in mind when you review the hotel. If I had paid considerably more for this hotel then I may have complained but having paid next to nothing for clean accommodation, in lovely tranquil grounds, with clean bedding, towels, air con, beach towels, and friendly staff, what more can I ask for.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank annie52england

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
England
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Let's all be honest now, This hotel was booked simply by it's price.
Just got back from the Bumas, Like everyone else i didn't know what i was letting myself in for after reading reviews on trip adviser.
I did my homework when i booked this hotel with hayes and jarvis back in february,The criticism seemed to be the rooms (re TA), i prepared myself by upgrading to a junior suite, didn't cost much extra, so we booked this hotel to Bali with a room upgrade and it was still lot's cheaper than the next hotel therefore don't moan about it,. Forget the tour operator,This hotel has 4 types of rooms, The cheaper you pay for the holiday the more basic room you get, don't forget the amount of back packers in Bali, These travellers want to pay next to nothing for just basic needs, again this hotel caters for everyone.
Upon arrival we were greeted with orange squash not juice, (Back home on a hot day the chances are you would drink orange squash not juice?) if your answer to that question was juice don't stay here. Filled out the usual forms then have a free safety deposit box behind the 24hour reception, Beach towels were provided free , if you lost them a surcharge of $25.00 was added to your bill.Our room was large with a massive 4 poster bed with memory foam matress,(all the rooms have memory foam matresses so you have an excellent nights sleep)
We had a fridge, tv ,air con, massive "white" bathroom suite as opposed to the standard yellow "marble" effect ones.white new bath towels.. Recap, clean,spacious,hot cold water air con, still miles cheaper than the nearest hotel.
Breakfast. WELL, it's egg on toast nothing else really.
We ate almost every day at the hotel for our dinner, you can go out to the many restaurants who all serve the same indionesian food, or pay lots of money and have steak and chips if you really dont want to be away from home!
The pools have so much chlorine that no bacteria from this planet could live in them,
Now if you want to feel very important to other readers on trip adviser by clinically inspecting the tiles around the pool and checking out the grout gaps between them YAWN!!!! Just maybe you shouldn't book here, Yes they play hide and seek with the parasols just accept it most other travellers do, Just get them your self as it's not a 5 star boutique hotel (remember the reason why you booked here , price?)
Sooooo you booked this hotel as its was the cheapest available, They provide you with all the basics, it's extremly safe, we left cameras out phones etc, nothing went missing. you will have hot water most of the time, food is if good quality and inexpensive (write off breakfast)The pools are safe due to the high chlorine present, Dunno why people moan about the sun loungers as we were there when the hotel was at it's maximum occupancy , we never had a problem, unless you are the moaning type, If so PLEASE dont book here as the rest of us really dont want to hear your bleating! The gardens are so beautiful, it's so quiet at times only the birds break the silence................ We met up with some excellent people(Joe & Jim) who share our thoughts, i'm sure they will post their views on TA. Our special highlight was a gentleman who spends months here, in fact lots of people we spoke to have been here 10/15 times, Now this guy "Tenkrid" is his name, (phoenetic spelling) has to be to most knowledgeable man there, we nicknamed him the "professor" and he earned that name too. lovely man who gives you the best advice posible around Bali as he has visited the island for some 50 years, .
Bali is of course beautiful, we did most of the trips plus trips no one else has has been to , ie the beautiful impressive waterfall. from the lush tropical rainforest, surrounded by the most spectacular rice terraces not forgetting the 20.000 or more hindu temples/shrines. These balanese people are the most content on this planet, They worship both the good spirits and the bad spirits to keep a happy balance, Still don't really understand the tooth filing ceremony though) painful! it's just paradise on earth, no wonder so many tourists visit the beautiful island of Bali.
Let me bring you back down to earth for a minute, One of the trips we booked with our travel guide rep to the volcano with the lake, Its,
"The curse of the carving",
Can't remember the lake but what i do remember was the beautiful restraunt nearby where we ate, Its the "Kintamini restaurant" I know this as i took a photo, After our meal ,outside the restaurant you get pestered by the "hawkers", a particular carving did catch my eye, we bartered then agreed a price, don't know when or how, the carving i was shown,the one i bought had been switched, obviously i didnt realise this till much later on that day, So if you buy something,firstly thoroughly examine it for cracks etc, agree a price, if the accept, DO NOT give it back to them, just keep it then pay for it, IF THEY LET YOU THAT IS! yes it's a scam. Didn't spoil my holiday though,
Conclusion, Clean hotel that provides you with all the basics, as mentioned above we made friends with lots of folk, went in each others rooms, all mentioned the yellow bath but accepted it as you dont visit Bali to look at baths, If i had a standared room i too would find it acceptable.
Go with open mind, have fun and you will love it!

Room Tip: The cheaper you pay the more basic the room, Therefore you have total control of your holiday, you c...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, Nederland
Reviewed 15 August 2013

A friend and I bought a package with Oad Reizen and we still have a very bitter taste on our mouths. I trusted Oad Reizen for many years and never though they could have a class E hotel on their books.

The pictures on their brochures look very nice! What a disappointment when we arrived at Bumas Hotel in Sanur... The gardens look alright but the 2 swimming pools are disgusting: the water is almost oily! Yes, like there is oil instead of water.

The bathroom is absolutely disgusting: the toiled don't flush (I checked other rooms, same problem. I complained 4x with the staff, they could not fix it). This of course spoils the Holiday as when you use the toilet, the entire room will stink,specially traveling with friends.....

The bath tube, I was afraid to put my feet in there - had my showers with slippers.

The shower itself, is like a few drops running down. If you have long hair to wash, it will take you one hour...

No complimentary water to brush your teeth. The towels are stained, white with yellow spots, I was scared to use it.

Breakfast? We had to buy our own coffee at the shop (Hardy's) close by - there is also a Starbucks close by. I love Balinese coffee, but that coffee from Bumas was dark water.

The "breakfast" consists in: terrible quality bread, coloured water they call coffee, one jam and one fruit. There might be some artificial juice, if you are lucky on that day.

Complaining with Oad Reizen was not helping. Spent half of my holidays calling and sending emails. They could move us hotels, if we paid 500 Euros extra! What I did was moving to another hotel on my own expense, because I refused to give more money to Oad Reizen. I spent much more then if I had bought the flight and the hotel separately. The package I bough was hotel+flight and I lost a lot of money having to pay for another hotel, to don't completely spoilt my holidays. No apology was given by Oad.

The owner of Bumas hotel, an Indonesian lady, showed up on the hotel (or perhaps she lives there), but by no means tried to make anything better. She spoke about her business education in America, how nice my clothes were, and that's it. Makes no sense at all!

Besides all the mess, one thing positive: the staff of the hotel is very friendly and willing to help, within their possibilities. They are probably very used to handle the frustration of the guests, but still they are amicable and friendly. They deserve a better job!

My suggestion: if you travel budget, book a youth hostel, it will save you not only money but a lot of frustration...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Sanur hotels

West Midlands
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We are currently on honeymoon in Bali and originally booked our stay at this hotel. However, on arrival last night we were welcomed with a drink that my partner and I are both allergic too. This was the beginning. The room was the Junior Suite which for the size was fine, however the interior wasn't great, very basic which is what you pay for. No flowers on the bed for the honeymoon package, nothing. We booked the honeymoon package but there is no such thing when mentioned, in fact all of the honeymoon package they have on their website is false, they don't provide bottled water, massages you have to pay for, no breakfast in your room and definitely no candle lit dinner. So the only thing you possibly get is the fruit basket (we didn't stay long enough to see if this would turn up!) honeymooners stay away, the information is false about what they have to offer, spend your special holiday somewhere else. We moved to villa shanti , awesome!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank girlracer11
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I agree with most of the complaints made about the Bumas Hotel, my daughter and I stayed there inJune, 2013. It seems on our observation that the owner is reluctant to spend any money on the Hotel. Our Bathroon needed a good clean when we arrived, we found one of the staff who do the rooms to come and clean it for us. The sun lounges around the pools are very old and falling apart, there are not enough of them, there are no Sun Umbrellas either. We discovered while we were there that there are nice New Plastic Brown sun lounges stacked there behind a wall but we were not allowed to use them, it doesn't make sence. The gardens and space of the grounds are beautiful, so are the Swimming Pools, the lovely pool at the back of the grounds needs a lot of repairs doing on it, like loose tiles and green algie all around the edge of the pool! The Breakfast at the Hotel is leased out to a Company to supply and seems like that it is run on a shoe string budget. Lots of small things like that, even so it did not stop us from enjoying our 12 nights at Sanur we had a great Holiday, we love Sanur!! Regards, Marion.

Room Tip: I have to say it was very quiet and peaceful if you choose a room near the back pool. Most of the ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The Bumas is quiet , relaxing place to stay. The grounds and pool areas are beautiful even though the back pool needs some maintenance. Missing tiles and some algae. Our room 138 was large and clean . Some bangs and cracks in the walls , but nothing major . The bathroom has an opening in the ceiling to the outdoors for venting , so when it rains it gets wet around the toilet. I did have to play the the toilet handle at least once a day , but didn't bother us. Breakfast was the same everyday. They did have jam most days ,but ran out for 2 days. You have to go up and ask for the eggs that come with the breakfast and they will make them however you want them . Their coffee was so weak it didn't even taste like coffee. A Starbuck's will be opening soon across the main street a 2 min walk from the Bumas. Staff were helpful and friendly . We would stay there again.

Room Tip: By the back pool. Quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rick M
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I had a budget holiday in Bali in 2012 booked through Travelzoo, and it was a bargain... despite having to pay a single suppliment, as I was travelling alone.
There has been a lot written on the Bumas Hotel, and most of it I agree with. Its a 3 star, staff are very friendly, beds are comfortable, and the rooms are quite large.
Being in a side street there is little noise, and it is interesting to delve down these streets as a change from going to the beach. I spent one happy afternoon eating and drinking at a small shop with an elderly man, his son and a cockerel for company. You can also find backstreet markets not too far away from the hotel. Just be prepared to haggle!
The hotel breakfast (as said elsewhere) is just about adequate. There are however many places to dine and food is exceptionally good value. Try the Nasi Gurang, its a rice dish and its very good. I have attempted to make it since I have returned home... but I cannot match the Bali way of cooking it. Looks like I will have to go back!
During my stay I made friends with a Bali resident who took me all over the island for very little money (She was not an official taxi driver but was making a bit of money on the side). I have used real taxis in this way in India as well. Its the best way to get around. Kuta is nearby and we did go there, but I prefer Sanur, it has a more steady pace and less late night clubs. Go to Kuta if you are under 35, single, with a woman or a bunch of mates!
To sum up. The hotel staff were friendly, hotel was well placed for me, breakfast was poor but the setting for breakfast was great, overlooking the gardens and pool.
Would I go back? Yes!

Room Tip: Get a room as near as you can to the pool. Its great on an evening to sit in the porch sipping a bee...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo