“A decent hotel at a decent rate.”

Diwangkara Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #66 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
Lippo Karawaci
“A decent hotel at a decent rate.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

My family and I have recently returned from our 14-day stay at the hotel. My son is in first grade, my wife is a college professor, and I teach grade 6. We live in Jakarta, but we are originally from America. We scheduled our stay as part of a package airline/hotel deal.

Upon arriving at the airport, we took a taxi to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by the bellhop and desk attendant. We experienced a seamless transition to our room. The lobby is well prepared, clean, with tasteful Balinese-type music. I should note that although the hotel did not provide transport from the airport to hotel, they do offer transport that you can rent for the day. The transport they offer is of a better quality than those offering their services outside the hotel (there are many).

Our room was one of the first rooms on the left. The King size bed was actually two doubles pushed together. The room was sufficient for our needs. Bed, wardrobe, couch, desk, TV (with cable-various languages). The bathroom was clean and stocked with basic items (i.e., soap, towels, shampoo, conditioner, etc.). It is recommended that you do not flush tissue paper; this is common in Asia. Water is not drinkable, but two complimentary waters are provided daily. These waters are best used for brushing as they are not tasty.

The room did have air conditioner, but it took some time to cool the room. Once cooled, it worked well. All members of my family struggled with sneezing and stuffy noses while in the room. The sneezing and runny noses only occurred while we were in our room. I won’t make assumptions about what caused this.

The refrigerator was stocked daily with drinkable bottled waters, sodas, and beer. The room was also maintained daily. As is the case anywhere in Indonesia, geckos often joined us in our room (1-2 max). They sometimes left droppings on the wall. These were never cleaned. Again, this is common in Indonesia. The pool was nice.

The pool was always clean and there were always sun chairs available. The “baby” pool attached to the main pool was small, but my son seemed to enjoy it. The larger pool was not shallow enough for my son. The pool boy was always present with towels. I was able to order drinks from the attached restaurant. Four steps away from the pool was a separate, quiet sunning area (sometimes shaded). There were bathrooms and showers off the pool.

The gardens within the confines of the hotel were amazing. They offered a wonderful walk to your room with various plants and ponds with large goldfish. You’ll also see larger geckos and frogs crawling and hopping about. The gardens were maintained daily by smiling, friendly staff. At night, you will hear the frogs and other exotic animals. In the morning, you will hear various song birds. It’s quite nice.

If you’re interested in exercise, you will not enjoy the hotel’s gym. I’m an exercise buff, and I was incredibly disappointed with the gym. Three pieces, treadmill, bike, and multi-station weigh machine. Neither the treadmill nor the bike worked. The weight machine barely worked. The weight room is crammed into a very small room. Simply not worth your time.

We had the option of daily breakfast. After about 3-4 mornings, we either chose to sleep in or eat elsewhere. For the most part, breakfast consisted of Indonesia fare. On any given day you might have, toast, noodles, rice, potatoes, fruit, one of two juices, tea, and coffee. If you’re okay with a non-western breakfast, you’ll survive. If you’re looking for an excellent breakfast with many options, you might not enjoy it.

The restaurant’s lunch and dinner food was okay, and most of the staff were pleasant. A one-man band offered live music on Tuesday and Saturday. Overall, the restaurant was clean and conveniently located.

The hotel backs up to the “boardwalk” and beach. We did not enjoy this particular beach as it was not what we were looking for. On occasion the beach did have trash on it. In the morning, the beach was packed, midday was completely empty, and late afternoon completely packed again. The hotel does provide sun chairs for the beach. There were always enough chairs to accommodate the guests, albeit we did not spend much time at the beach, so this might have been a problem at a point when we were not there.

Plenty of shopping opportunities on the boardwalk outside the hotel, albeit after traveling to other locations around the island, these opportunities paled in comparison. Whatever the case, everyone beyond the confines of the hotel has something to sell you and in every case, they were all willing to negotiate the prices.

Within the lobby, you can enjoy their spa, make transport reservations, or rent bicycles. We did receive two 15 minute massages compliments of the hotel. We never got around to using them. However, I did purchase a 60 minute traditional Balinese massage. It was okay.

The hotel offered laundry service with a one-day turn around. The clothes were well pressed and always clean.

There were many restaurants and stores outside the hotel (e.g., convenience stores, Dunkin Donuts, KFC, Indonesian restaurants, Malaysian restaurants, etc.). All of this is within walking distance (1-5 minutes).

I took the time to walk down the boardwalk (out the back to the right). Along my walk, I came across many other beaches. These beaches seemed to be well maintained, especially compared to the beach behind the hotel. Most of these beaches were accessible to anyone.

What did I like best? Everyone (including guests) was friendly and helpful. The area (excluding the beach) was always clean and peaceful.

What did I like least? My runny nose and sneezing while in my room.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank jamesandjessica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
Warwickshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

Must admitt after reading the reports on this hotel I was going to change it. However I think your opinion of this may depend on board basis and room location. We stayed B&B which I think is the best option. As the food a little bland and boring and choice limited. we ate once here at night and the rest of the time outside which was much better. Have to admitt Breakfast wasn't all that if you like eggs, fried, scrambled, poached e.t.c !!! it is ok. They do provide pastries, but this tends to be alternate days, they were quite nice and of course their local food ??. Coffee and tea awful !!, suggest taking your own for the room. We had a room on third floor which I would recommend as views of volcano and greenary were good. The rooms on the ground floor surrounded by very tall trees etc, seemed dark also having a lot of fish pounds around, we saw a lot of people with these rooms had lots of mosquito bites. Beach awful, go further down as a little better, as lots of dogs, dog mess, and rubbish, although have to admitt whole of Bali was a ruddish dump full of dogs, cats, rubbish and more rubbish O'h and lots of people and traffic, I travel alot and love my holidays so, banish those thoughts of paradise, go somewhere else if you want this. e.g parts of thailand and the Carribean, Very dissapointed with BALI. It also seems the locals do not respect their environment and were often seen throwing rubbish in the sea, O'h and everywhere else. We had a day out at Lombongan Island recommend this and you can stay over in the beech huts. Overall very dissapointed with Bali would not go back but hotel room ok and staff very good.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pouncey
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

This was our first visit to Diwangkara Resort and we found the staff had a good understanding of English,were friendly and welcoming and our requests were taken care of promptly.The resort accommodation is quite beautifully appointed, has a good clean pool,small gym with good apparatus,well maintained ponds,fountains and beautiful gardens.The comfortable sized Dining Room looks directly over Sanur beach.They have comfortable deck beds around the pool area and on the beach.The Manager Daniel speaks excellent English and was most helpful.
Our room was very pleasant,spotlessly clean,quiet with two (convenient) showers a comfortable bed,good air con a fridge, tv, desk etc.The only improvement I can think of is that the Chef needs a few more lessons in poaching eggs otherwise the food was of a high standard and we spent pleasant evenings eating in the restaurant directly overlooking the beach and Lambongan Island.This is one resort we would definitly look forward to staying at again.The layout of the accommodation it renders it suitable for anyone looking to relax in privacy and comfort.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sather
yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

dated rooms smelly bathroom grouting missing and mouldy, bath chipped. different step heights on stairs The road in to the hotel passes a building site covered with palm sheeting not very inviting.The swimming pool has chipped tiles and greasy waterlevel marks under the hand grips ,dubious clorinating so idecided to swim in sea the best of two evils, rubbish and clothing to negotiate but at least my skin didnt feel bleached. lack of sun beds but no lack of locals staring and wandering thru the dirty beach. In the restaurant the meals were small, tuna salad with no tun,a ,some days no orange drink . complaing fell on deaf ears .The staff were all brilliant and helpfull an asset to this dissapointing holiday /hotel

2 Thank rig1Yorkshire

Travellers are raving about these Sanur hotels

Southampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

We booked with Mercury Direct who advertise this hotel as 4 Star but is in fact a local 3 Star that strugggles to achieve this rating. Having just returned from an 18 night stay (which was about 15 too long) we found the hotel very tired, with unhygienic pool, unsatisfactory meals, not enough loungers, beach being used by local dogs as a toilet and fighting arena, all sorts of debris floating in the sea, dirty beach and smelly drains in the bathrooms. Staff were very helpful and friendly and working within the maeans that are available to them.

1 Thank JillyLangley
Kent, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

Just returned from a 2 week stay at the Diwangkara and found that while the staff do their best the hotel fails to reach 3 stars and is definitely not the 4 stars as advertised.
Bathroom in our room was in dire need of some TLC , rusting fittings, shower curtain old and faded with the odd smell from the drains, bedroom fitted cupboard sliding doors do not work and the wall safe was not secured to the wall.
The pool area is small with little or no space for sun loungers, pool needs major refurb as many tiles are cracked/broken and pipes covered with mildew, pool more like a plunge pool than a swimming pool, gets crowded when 3 or 4 people get in at the same time
There are very few sun loungers not enough for all guests so every day there is a scramble to claim a sun lounger, booking a lounger by the placing of towels prevails.
The beach area is not very pleasant as the beach is used as a toilet by the local dog population which roam all over the place, the beach is also used by the local vendors as a rubbish dump ,every day the rubbish is buried in the sand, do not go on the beach at the weekend as the whole population of Sanur decends onto the beach and it gets very very crowded, beware , this beach is not private and is open to all.
The food menu for dinner and lunch at the hotel restaurant is not bad but breakfast is boring.
The hotel needs a major makeover as it looks tired and faded, the hotel is not in the best location in a very dirty and scruffy Sanur, we will not return to this hotel.

1 Thank Midor
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

I stayed at Diwangkara for 4 days, went to Bali for my 30th birthday. Diwangkara isn't situated in Denpasar, it is actually in Sanur. It is 15 mins approx to go to Denpasar by cab. Location is PERFECT for those that didn't like the hustle bustle of Kuta, but not wanting to be too far from the happening scene. That's the reason I chose it. It is a beachfront boutique resort, low key, wonderful lush landscaping done. I booked for a standard superior, but was upgraded to the Antara Villa due to high occupancy. We shared the 3 storey villa with another Malaysian family that took the larger room on the 3rd floor. Was great, although room is tiny, and bathroom needs some maintenance done on the ceilings and walls. Amenities are really basic, just shampoo,conditioner and soap but I use my own, so it doesn't affect me much. Staff are all very friendly and warm, greeted me day and night whenever they bumped into me. Met the Business Development Manager when I checked-in, Daniel. He sent me a flower arrangement on the night of my bday, a nice gesture. :) Right by the beach, there were many stalls selling souveniers, drinks, cafes/pubs all along the stretch. But don't expect the outlets to be happening, it is actually pretty quiet at night.

If you want the night scene, walk out to the main streets of Sanur, which is walking distance from Diwangkara, where it's more hyped up. KFC and McD's are there too, so are convenience stores. It's really a very convenient location in my opinion. You get the best of both worlds, retreat back to the resort for peace or head out to town for food/entertainment/shopping or hop into a cab to go to Kuta by 20 mins.

Only negative feedback I have about this resort is their breakfast buffet spread. It was pathetic, to be brutally honest. So be prepared, if you're breakfast sort of person like me, please don't expect a decent spread in this resort. The spread basically consists of cheap cereals and milk, canned fruits with yoghurt, 3 hot dishes (potatoes, french toasts & noodles), 2 types of juices which are way too artificial and sweet, an egg/pancake counter (omelette with only 3 choice of ingredients for fillings and pancakes are so thick it was served to me uncooked thoroughly), fresh cut fruits (watermelon,papaya,pineapples/bananas), breads (white/wholemeal/frenchloaf) for toasts with watery jams and butter. That's about it. Oh, they serve coffee/tea too. I'm not a coffee drinker, but my mom told me their coffee was so watered down, it tasted horrible but tea was ok. Diwangkara should really consider making an effort to improve the condition of the coffee house and the standard of their food. It was a wonderful location by the beach, open air and cosy. What a pity the management didn't do more to upkeep the outlet.

All in all, I will still consider going back to Diwangkara to stay if I wanted seclusion. It is a wonderful place to just lay back, read a book, do nothing in particular..then this is the place to be. Definitely not for the hip and happening travellers that love bustling places with noise and crowd.

• Liked — The location, beachfront
  • Disliked — The breakfast buffet spread!
  • Stayed October 2008