“Adequate for my needs”

Ranked #45 of 134 Sanur B&B and Inns
yallingup
“Adequate for my needs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I was in Bali for 18 days with family (first 8 days) friend (7 days) and in Sanur for 4 nights at Puri Sindhu Mertha and arrived very early morning due to getting a lift with a friend going to the airport after which I was dropped in Sanur. Young Wyan was exceedingly helpful (despite a 7 am arrival) and gave me a choice of 2 rooms upstairs. I unpacked little (luckily) as a little later was advised that my room was to be repainted that day. I was on my way out and said when I returned I would pack and move. On my return I was moved downstairs (for the best as I found the steps or rather, the rubber strip on the edge, unsafe). My room was a generous size and by the pool (as all the downstairs rooms are). The linen was clean, changed daily, and the room too was cleaned daily. I really can't speak highly enough about the staff. Rai gave me a lift to the beach the first day and spoke the best English. I was able to use their computer each day to receive emails and also to confirm my flight and print out a boarding pass. The only thing that went awfully wrong was the friends had rung twice and left messages and it was only on the third call that I did receive the call. Each time I returned to the hotel I would enquire had there been messages only to be told "No". I decided not to try and clarify this situation.The fridge became noisy after the second night but this was not a real problem for me. I was in Bali for major dental work and had chosen the last 4 nights to stay in Sanur as was at this stage alone and knew
friends who live permanently in Bali,not far from Jalan Danau Poso. The main drawback presently is the construction work happening next door at one of the Dive places which began at 7 am and finished about 6 pm. I meant to enquire which month this would be completed by but forgot to do so. They didn't work on Sunday which was a blessed relief. When I was moved from upstairs I did make a requirement that if I found it too noisy if they had someone above me upstairs, I may request to move. Some people did move in for a night but luckily I didn't hear them when I returned to sleep but I had heard them late afternoon before I went out. The breakfast was quite basic really BUT they did try. The main attraction is the friendliness, cleanliness and wonderful helpfulness of those four boys,Wayan, Gede (youngest), Made and Rai. This certainly went a long way for me. Good value for the price.

Room Tip: It seems to me that the passage upstairs is dingy but despite this these rooms would probably be qui...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jan r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We'd stayed here for one night to transfer to Lembogam island. The surrounding is pretty good, but you've better choose the 1st floor. The rooms in the 1st floor are close to the pool, and look much like a real villa. BUT these are still too many mosquitos at night, you have to prepare a incent to keep them away....

Room Tip: 1st floor is better.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lindalove70
Kalkan, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

We had 12 days staying at the Puri Sindhu Mertha this February. It was a good choice for our diving holiday and fitted our needs exactly. The staff are very friendly, most helpful and manage the place well. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them, and most importantly, they kept the place and our rooms spotlessly clean and tidy. A little out of Sanur centre but the frequently passing taxis are only $1 each way. I would recommend PSM to anyone wanting a modestly priced place to stay in the Sanur area.

Room Tip: Try and get one on the ground floor. Each has a nice personal sitting out porch close to the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
hongkong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I would have rated Sindhu Metha Gues House very good, but cannot because because of the state of the toilet and shower. A small, reasonably quiet, no frills guesthouse. However, if do decide to stay, make sure to confirm your bookings before you leave. A few days before our arrival, we were informed that one of the two rooms we had booked would not be available for one night as the guesthouse had overbooked. Bali Scuba which had booked our stay managed to resolve the issue very quickly and we had the two rooms throughout our stay.
Our rooms were large and the beds were comfortable, with a good reading lamp. The linen was clean and the room was cleaned every day. It would have been a squeeze to accommodate three people. The air-conditioning was effective and quiet, the water pressure not great and it took a while for the hot water to flow. I did hear another guest complaining about the noise from their refridgerator. The toilet needs a very thorough cleaning though. We encountered a couple of cockroaches on the first day and after a successful hunt, we made sure to keep all our bags zipped to avoid bringing home unwanted guests and didn’t see any more roaches during the rest of our stay.
The breakfast was the same every day, but not being big on breakfast, it was OK for us. Other than breakfast, the guesthouse does not cater for any other meals, although you can order in from a restaurant from the menu in the room. We didn’t try this.
We seldom use swimming pools and the one in Sindhu was small. The staff are courteous and helpful and the two young men at front desk and the driver seem to manage the place pretty well. As this was part of our dive safari package and located close to the dive centre, we chose not to move to another hotel. It was a bit far from the beach and the main shopping and tourist areas and finding taxis, especially at night, was not easy. Before you ask the front desk to call a taxi, ask them if there is a surcharge, we didn’t and the surcharge was more than double the fare. Not a bad place, but I would recommend it only if you are on a budget or wish to be near Bali Scuba.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Chalong, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Large room,with huge comfortable bed. Bit of a balcony, fridge, large TV. Only thing to complain about - not enough hot water to fill a bath! Pool and breakfast facilities are good. Close enough to the centre of Sanur for convenience, but far enough away that it's quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms at the back are quietest.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 69ingBishop
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Very, very, very basic accommodation deserving of only one star. (The three-star rating is fantasy.)

Main-ten-ance: The work of keeping something in proper condition; upkeep. The staff are obviously far more interested in the maintenance of their social networking status than they are of performing any building or equipment or installation maintenance.

Pick up from the airport was OK but the vehicle used was disgusting!!! Petrol had been spilled in the car recently and the 40min trip to the Puri Sindhu Mertha was tortuous to say the least. It was so bad that I almost asked the guy to drop us by the roadside so that we could catch a taxi. The stench was nauseating and the rest of the trip was completed with windows down.

On arrival at PSM the disappointments kept rolling in... The place is small, cramped, has no privacy, is bombarded with road traffic noise, has uncomfortable beds & pillows with old linen, the room allocated was small and furnished with poorly made and junky items, the bathroom (open to the elements and mosquitoes) had not received even the most basic maintenance in a very long time (the vanity unit had only a cold-water tap). Fungal growths were abundant and the floor tiles dangerously slippery.

The room had a pool view but the whole 'wall' that faced the pool was glass with only curtains (not opaque) for privacy. The room could not be darkened.

Breakfast was 'fuel' for the body only and offered little in the way of taste satisfaction; ordered to your room. A menu from a local Indo resto that would deliver was provided in the room otherwise no other type of service is available.

The airconditioner unit pumped out cold air - true enough - but at the cost of disturbance to the peace as the sound associated with its function was truly disturbing.

Locationally it is close to nothing of interest.

Positives: a beautiful pool, free WiFi.

Room Tip: Choose any room at least 1km away from reception.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcus B
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have been staying here for many years, and the staff is like family to me. They're always cheerful and helpful, and they always pick me up from/drop me off at the airport on time.

The rooms are basic, but very clean. The bathroom could use a renovation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo