Sukun Bali Cottages
Puri Santrian(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$102
Agoda.com
Segara Village Hotel(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$93
US$167
US$156
Griya Santrian(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$126
Agoda.com
Prama Sanur Beach Bali(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$131
Sudamala Suites & Villas(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$144
The Pavilions Bali(Sanur)
US$235
US$198
Agoda.com
Mercure Resort Sanur(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$521
US$181
All reviewsthe cottagesnice poollight sleeperstayed here for nightsearly hoursshort walkrooms are largethe main streetbalisupermarketmotorbikeoasis
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Spent a week here with friends. Good location in Sanur, within own compound and only a few minutes walk to street shopping and dining. There's a mini-mart next door which makes it very convenient if you need to get some stuff. I liked the traditional design of the place, well-kept garden and a nice swimming pool. The staff were also friendly and helpful.

We all stayed in standard cottages. Overall the rooms are quite decent with big enough floorspace. However the rooms are showing signs of age and could do with a little touch up.

If you'd like some peace and quiet at night, avoid the units parallel to the main road, especially cottage 117 (and the cottages on either side of it) as it's directly behind a club which plays loud music until the early hours of the morning. Alternatively you could bring earplugs for sleeping, like I did. Or if sleep won't work with all that loud music, you can just walk over, join the party and enjoy some Bintang beer until closing time.

The hotel has a small restaurant connected by a tiny bridge over a pond from the garden path. Breakfast was okay, choice of either western or local sets. For lunch and dinner, I would suggest going out. There are some pretty good restaurants along Jalan Danau or further on Jalan Tamblingan. If you're into local food, try the warungs which serves very tasty and very affordable Indonesian dishes. You can get a full plate of rice, vegetables and meat with softdrink between 7,000 to 10,000 rupiah (that's only US$0.80 to US$1.20).

It is a budget hotel and despite a few minuses it's still good value for money. Wouldn't mind staying here again but I would choose a room in a quite corner for a more peaceful rest at night.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed here for one night at the start of our trip to Bali. Although we had arranged for them to provide an airport transfer (and confirmed flight details on several occasions via email), nobody was at the airport to meet us and we ended up taking a taxi. Once we arrived, the staff were very helpful in allowing us to check in much earlier than their standard check in time, at no extra charge. The room we stayed in (standard room) was generally clean, but quite dark and the bathroom was run down and poorly lit. The sheets had holes throughout them and smelt of cigarettes (which, for a non-smoking couple was quite hard to put up with). Location wise, it was about a 10 minute walk from the main strip, which was pleasant and not unsafe, even at night. Breakfast was quite pleasant - nothing mind blowing, but a few simple choices that were tasty enough - but not good enough to make us want to eat any other meal there. The pool area was lovely and the general grounds seemed quite well maintained. With the exception of the cigarette-stenched, holey sheets, for the price we paid, we were relatively happy with our experience there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

+++Lovely pool and garden area. Pool water was a comfortable temperature. There are only a few sun chairs, and only one set with an umbrella, but it seems most people are out playing tourist, so it was never crowded. Really friendly staff. Their ''deluxe"' rooms are large. Some rooms-what they call a 'suite' (but is not a suite - just a bedroom and a bathroom) have updated bathrooms that are nice. However, those 'suites' are not listed on booking.com. Their ''deluxe" rooms have poor bathrooms -at least mine did. It's only about 400 meters from beach - but that beach is the dirtiest part of the beach stretch - need to walk further up for slightly better area. Some rooms are relatively quiet - a bit further from the road - others more noisy.

---Rooms not as advertised on booking.com nor their website (booking.com is currently trying to work with them on having their description match what they provide). I booked a 'deluxe'' room which was supposed to have flat screen tv, bathrobe, and -from the description and the very nice photos on booking.com and their website - a nice, new, clean bathroom. Instead, no flat screen tv (an old regular big one), no bathrobe, stained curtains, old duvet on one bed, and nothing on the other (ok not such a big deal so far), but what was really bad was my bathroom. It was disgusting - smelling of sewer and mothballs (or something similar), with mildew-blackened grout. The disgusting smell permeated the room & I spent the first day with open windows, AC & incense. I also closed off the sewer drains with plastic which sealed the stench, and threw out the mothballs– unfortunately that chemical smell had permeated the whole room, but it was much better. They didn't clean my room. When I had checked in they had also told me they would "upgrade” me to a ‘suite’ for ‘free’ for my third night. This wasn’t a suite – just a bedroom and bathroom like the last one, except that it had the flat screen tv, nice duvet, and a nice, new bathroom with separate tub & shower that didn’t smell. (It was also dirty – clearly the room service had not cleaned the sink, toilet or tub in a while, it has a layer of grime on it, and the toilet brown... in it ). I had looked forward to a bath – but then stuck to the shower. It was what I had expected for the ‘’deluxe”’ room based on their description and photos. So it seemed to me that their “upgrade”’ is what their ‘’deluxe’” is supposed to be, and their ‘’deluxe”’ is no deluxe, and their advertising dishonest. Breakfast is either 1 egg with toast or 1 pancake or Indonesian. Not much variety but ok for 2-3 days. Also if you stay there and pay in local currency, make sure you know the exchange rate and use a calculator. When I checked out, the bill was in $USD only. I asked to pay in Rupeea and the guy at the desk gave me a bill that was 100,000 more than what I had calculated. I asked if the exchange rate was what I thought it was and he agreed. So I used his calculator to show him, and lo and behold, his was incorrect. Maybe a mistake on his part. Maybe not. So anyway - beware. The pool is really so lovely, and the staff friendly. It's too bad they can't get the rooms to a consistent level of cleanliness and upkeep. It would take so little to upgrade the bathrooms to at least a CLEAN level and to train the staff to clean properly, to have rubber plugs and mats to cover the tub and sewage drains when not in use etc. A little creativity, good will and a little money, and some honesty would go a long way.
Please also note that the tripadvisor picture is incorrect. that pic looks like some modern high rise. The cottages are little cottage/bungalows, actually much nicer than that high rise picture. The staff was very friendly, I only gave it a 0 because although they smile and are friendly, they clearly don't clean, and don't use the calculator properly..., and the management also refused to admit that they advertised falsely on booking.com and refused to even apologize.

Room Tip: 206 is upgraded, 203 is not, both are fairly away from road.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MaxiMax1
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I booked Sukun Cottages for 3 nights to kick off my Bali itinerary. As such, I took up their offer of a transfer from the airport (which at $10 US is comparable to, if not cheaper than, a metered Blue Bird Taxi). The driver was waiting for me at Denpasar when I arrived and had me at the cottages within about 20 minutes. Lovely.

The cottages are set at the more southern end of Sanur, just 150m off the Jalan Tambligan (alternatively, turn left out of the cottages driveway to visit the Sanur Red Light District as I quickly learnt when going for an after dinner stroll one evening). With the exception of the de rigeur Balinese cockerels somewhere nearby, the premises were very quiet and very calm. Gardens are well tended and there is a big enough pool set in the middle of the grounds. There appeared to be only about 4-6 loungers so at busy times one will not always be forthcoming. Checkin was a little slow as none of the staff initially present were able to complete the registration but they were able to make me a welcome orange drink and within 10 minutes I had my key for a semi detached cottage directly behind the reception. Throughout the trip, I found the staff to be most accomodating and friendly. Fantastic.

The room was very well appointed with large bed (with mosquito nets), desk, balinese chaise longue, air-con, fridge, tv, and modern bathroom. The room had traditional ornate door and shutters and was set beneath a magnificient painted roof depicting a traditional balinese tale. Outside there was a nice little porch with seats and chairs. Super.

All very good so far then and I did very much enjoy staying in the cottages. The negatives can be summed in two categories: the breakfast and luminosity of the room. The breakfast used pretty poor quality ingredients (in particular the bread was the worst I experienced in Bali), poorly executed (eggs overcooked). I guess this may explain why I didn't see anyone eat dinner there in three nights. The rooms were a little on the dark side too and given they were actually rather good, would've looked better and been nicer to use in the evening if a few watts brighter.

The overarching issue for me however, and broadly outwith the control of Sukun Cottages was Sanur itself. I found it quite dull, beaches not particularly nice, the sea not really any good to swim in, and little to do beyond Golf (visit the driving range for a a pretty rough and ready Balinese experience), massages, and boat trips. Touts and sellers were amongst the most annoying not to be found in Bangsal Harbour, particularly the taxi driver who I deeply disappointed by repeatadly rejecting his offer to visit a "nice Balinese Woman" before he drove me to Ubud. I just wish cottages were somewhere like Ubud or Seminyak.

Room Tip: I can recommend my room, directly behind reception
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MattyBK
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This set of spacious, comfortable cottages is located at the edge of busy Sanur, but just 150 metres from Sanur Beach. It is a Budget priced accomodation and is really good value-for -money. It is a short walk away from the shopping and restaurant areas of Sanur, with loads of choices for good dining. Noice from street traffic was not serious. The swimming pool appeared very nice and inviting, though we didn't get to enjoy it--no time!
But, not many amenities provided in the rooms. No problem, the minimarket is just outside on the main road, 30 metres away , if you need anything, including beer!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple