“Incredible luxury, great change of pace for two city dwellers” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Villa Semana
Ranked #65 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Los Angeles, California
“Incredible luxury, great change of pace for two city dwellers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I am usually a budget traveler, looking for the best 'cheap' hotel I can find. This trip was for our anniversary, so we decided to splurge. Based simply on reviews, we picked this hotel and I crossed my fingers. It was easily the best hotel experience I've ever had. (I have also stayed in traditional 'five star' places for work, and they just didn't compare.) I didn't think I'd really like the service -- in general, I don't like service, I'd rather be left alone and just do my own thing. The sincerity and overall helpfulness of the staff here blew me away, though.

I was also nervous about the reviews that talked about lizards and frogs... My wife, especially, isn't a real "country" sort of girl, and we're both more computer-types. However, when we heard a few frogs in our villa, it was charming. We actually named the frog who sat on one of the flagstones near the pool; he was a constant friend, and we saw a few little baby frogs one night! The few lizards were just tiny geckos, also cute and very unobtrusive.

After spending some time walking around downtown Ubud, we were especially glad for the short remove that kept out hotel experience pristine and peaceful. The balance was perfect for us.

The hotel drivers -- for shuttles and for a longer, most-day tour we took -- were outstanding. They had chilled towels for us, and cold bottles of water that were most welcome. The tour we took was personalized by the hotel owner for us, and it perfectly met our desires. (We had looked at the pre-packaged tours, and told him none of them quite worked, so he made up a new one on-the-spot.)

My only 'complaint' would be the spotty Internet connection. There was free wifi in each villa, but I could only connect one out of every four of five attempts, and the connections dropped too frequently to allow a Skype conversation back home. However, I ultimately decided this was probably for the best -- we went on vacation to relax, and this was the ideal place to be away from it all. So I'm still going with a solid five stars, best recommendation I've ever made for a hotel.

2 Thank Tom D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ampang, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We chose Villa Semana and stayed in Vanda for our honeymoon last April. The villa has no lobby and we found it was a pleasant surprise to be directed straight to our villa upon arrival. We were also served with great refreshments (fruit punch and the local appetizer tempe) that were delicious. I have to say that we really didnt mind not going out to eat, because the food served at the villa was simply great and was reasonably price as well. I cant stop thinking about their breakfast jam platter! It was my first time tasting the local fruit 'salak' made into jam and it was delicious.

Moving away from food talk, the villa that we stayed in looked quite 'antique' as the walls had moss on them from the humidity. Its probably a bit of an eyesore to see certain parts of the walls being placed with green moss/black stains. (This is the one of the reasons its not getting a 5 star rating). Also, this place is not for the faint-hearted. In our Vanda Villa, we encountered huge lizards and countless of frogs as there was a mini pond. It was interesting for us as we didnt mind nature visiting our place. For the room, we found it to be a bit dark and lacked adequate lighting. Would prefer for it to be lighted better. (This is the other reason why its not getting 5 stars).

Lastly, the staff were all very friendly and accommodating. Their service was excellent. We also went for the spa by the river. No words can explain the calmness and serenity! A must try!

We simply had a great honeymoon stay at this place. If ever I go to Ubud again, I will definitely visit Villa Semana at least for a quick bite! Big thanks and thumbs up to the staff and owner for making our stay an amazing experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

It was our first stay at Villa Semana. On our way from the North to the South of Bali we spent 3 day in Ubud. We were looking for the private villas hotel, distant from the busy center of Udud and with a good restaurant. And we found this and much more at Villa Semana. We suggest booking the deluxe pool villa with the paddy fields view. I enjoyed the villa’s outside living room greatly. The territory of the hotel is very beautiful, and the view from the pool/restaurant area is amazing – green trees, flowers and the river below the hotel are very picturesque. You will enjoy every minute of your time there. The restaurant is very good, great quality and variety of the food served. You will also enjoy the open-air Spa located near the river – a very relaxing place, you can have your treatment and listen to the water-fall…
And if you want to go to Udud, the hotel offers you a free shuttle. Aprx. 20 minute drive.
And I would like to thank the owner of the hotel for making our stay there special, for all the advice and special attention he gave to the guests.

1 Thank Anna P
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Never write reviews, but have gone through the process of signing up for tripadvisor whilst still here at our villa to write a review.

This place is fantastic. By far the best service we have ever experienced anywhere in the world. Our villa looks over the rice field. Ubud is a very relaxed town, an our villa takes that to an entirely new level.

After seeing some of the other villas we were looking at on the main drag of Ubud we couldnt be happier after selecting this place.

Villas are beautiful, with private pools big enough to relax in, daily breakfast served inside our room, exquisite staff, and only 10 villas here in total make this a very special experience for any couple looking for a romantic getaway.

Cannot speak highly enough about this place, enjoy your stay if you are lucky enough to book here.

London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Could not fault Villa Semana. We had spent one week travelling around Bali by mountain bike (including two nights in the centre of Ubud) before staying at Semana.
All we wanted at this point was relaxation - and we got just that in the most beautiful surroundings.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded on arrival to Semana's best villa. Which was stunning.
The attention to detail was outstanding.
My only advice would be that people may be disappointed if they are expecting to be in the middle of Ubud and it's Monkey Forest Street. We had already experienced that hustle and bustle so were delighted to be slightly out of the crowd.
That said, the hotel provides a free shuttle service to Ubud centre.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Sarahlharrison
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Another stay at Villa Semana and again a delight of yummy dinners, perfect massages in the wonderful spa by the river. Perfect villas with private pools, attentive staff, convenient shuttles to go to Ubud and an incredible view on the rice paddies. I was quite proud to share this very special place with my European friends on their first trip to Asia.

Room Tip: Heli Konia has an incredible view on on the rice paddies. Kambodja (for 3 pax) directly overlooks th...