“Does anyone work here or know how to make drinks?”
Review of Ary's Warung

Ary's Warung
Ranked #653 of 780 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Contemporary Balinese Asian Cuisine. Martini Bar-Cigar Lounge-Wine Cellar- Degustation Menu-Terrace Dining. Having experienced more than fifteen years of international patronage, Ary’s has developed its reputation by serving fresh intriguing foods and providing amicable service.
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

This place looks nice, but the service and drinks are terrible. There were 3 waiters and a barman here, the place was empty except for us and it still took ages to get served. When we did order, the drinks took about 10 minutes to arrive. I ordered a piña colada and when I drank the first mouthful I nearly gagged. It was super sour. The barman came rushing over and said "sorry, I used off coconut milk"!! then took my drink away.

I then ordered a replacement drink of a lychee martini. When that arrived (eventually) it was terrible.

We decided to leave and ask for the bill. Yet another stupidly long wait...

This place is expensive and just has no clue. Don't bother!

1  Thank Rosylosy
There are newer reviews for Ary's Warung

Reviewed 27 January 2013

..... but it wasn't!
The menu read well. It looked like a menu that might have been from a good restaurant somewhere. Maybe they borrowed it.
Proceedings started with the ubiquitous water sting. We all know that one. It starts with being hot and thirsty and ends with buying bottled water sucked from the melting ice caps of another planet or somewhere nearly as exotic.
Next came cocktails ..... oops I meant mocktails. They had run out of the correct ingredients for a brandy Alexander but after sniffing the contents of a few near empty bottles the youngsters running the show that night did find a little bit of some other stuff that hadn't been quite exhausted. They splashed nearly a whole thimble full of each into some white stuff with some ice. Likewise they waived the Vodka bottle past the Black Russian glass. Not much Kahlua was harmed during its construction. My Indonesian is OK. Even my English is OK but they would not begin to understand what was really needed and the mention of a correct measure made Made tremble.
Appertisers; no lobsters at all were harmed during the making of the lobster wontons but the prawns in the coconut prawn dish did seem to have died of natural causes some time ago. There was however a nice little salad on the plate.
Side salads; parsimonious but fresh leaf and a nice little green bean salad.
Mains; Once upon a time the pork belly might have been ok, but not this week. But that's cruel. It could possibly have been less than a few days old.
The fish on the other hand was great. Fresh. Well cooked. It had to be a fluke ( not a flake ).
We didn't hang around for afters.
Our only other neighbours on the night grunted quite audibly as they evacuated the sinking ship.
By the way, all this blistering mediocrity ain't cheap. Even if it was cheap it would have been mediocre.
They did appologise for it all at the end after I gave it to them with both barrels. It was their best performance on the night probably because they had to do it so often. Paid in full. Not a single solitary rupiah as a tip.
In nutshell, "all show, no go".
Can you tell that it made me cranky? I could have had a chewy pork satay and a cold Bintang (thirty times over) somewhere and have had some fun!

1  Thank JohnKangarooValley
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This is the only place I know that serves durian brulee, and a super delicious one at that! I go back every chance I get just for the durian brulee. To be honest, I have not tried anything else on their menu so I really can't comment. Great place to chill out too. Interesting ladies room, there's a fish pond next to the toilets ;)

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We had read some great reviews on here about this place and so couldn't wait to check it out. We ordered a cocktail each and asked for a food menu. The bar is in the centre so we could see the 2 bar staff trying to make the cocktails. About half an hour later they finally came and resembled nothing like they were meant to be. They also tasted really horrible and being Brits we drink anything! After nearly 30 mins more waiting they never came to take a food order and instead we could see the 2 staff just laughing. The place was deserted with only 2 other couples there. The drinks were too horrible to drink, so we left them and the terrible service was now too much! We told the staff the drinks were terrible and he seemed to think it was rather funny. We we're told to pay in full and left really disappointed. You can tell this place was once the place to go but when we passed it an hour later there was no one there and now we know why. A real shame as it ruined our evening.

2  Thank Gd2408
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Ary's was once one of Ubud's premiere restaurants when there were only a few top quality dining establishments here. They continue to offer fine food and may be worth trying if you are here for an extended time.

Been to Ary's Warung? Share your experiences!