“Great memories of Bambu Indah”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bambu Indah

and 1 more site!
Bambu Indah
Ranked #65 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Chiang Mai
“Great memories of Bambu Indah”
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I found out about Bambu Indah after reading articles about John Hardy and his jewellery business. The reviews on TripAdvisor were pure adoration and the NYT.com article helped to emphasize that this is a place where you will get your feet dirty and you are intimate with nature, which was perfect because I work on a farm. This is definitely not a place for princess-y types who are afraid of mosquitos! But overall, I found my stay incredibly peaceful, soul-enriching and had all my needs met by Eva and Elisa, Bambu’s friendly and amenable managers who treated me like a family member. I highly recommend Bambu Indah! But I'm ashamed to say it's taken me a year to write this review :-(

I booked directly via email for 3 nights approximately 2 months before arrival and was able to get the house I wanted. Initially, there was a delay in email response due to staff turnover (I found out later) but afterwards, the responses were prompt and courteous. By booking via email, I received their internet price (check out the website for more details) which was cheaper than the standard price.

I took a Blue Bird taxi from Discovery Mall/Kuta directly to BI for 160000Rp. We had a few confused turns and phone calls between Eva (one of the managers) and my driver before arriving at the property, located next to the Hardy's private residence. Although check-in was at 2pm, I arrived at 10am after calling ahead to let Eva know of my arrival time. While waiting for my room, I was given a delicious lemon-ginger welcome drink and cookies, a short tour of the organic garden, Minang bamboo house and the guest library, and shown the different houses (Kolam and Afrika do not have direct views of Ayung Valley, while the other houses do). She also showed me the small farm/garden including the local pigs the Hardys are raising with which to use their manure to enrich the garden beds. She also explained to me about the natural water filtration method used for the swimming pool. I met Elisa (the general manager) and finally ordered mie goreng (friend noodles with shrimp) for lunch.

I stayed in the Padi House for 3 nights. This is one of the four 100 year old Javanese houses moved piece by piece from Java to Ubud. The Padi House porch has a daybed and a table for meals, with direct views of the lush Ayung Valley – I highly recommend eating breakfast on the porch early and watching the sun rise. Outside, the wooden stairs lead down to the natural swimming pool (no chemicals; water is cleaned through via circulation through stones and use of bio-methods). Inside, the furnishings were tastefully chosen and exuded an old-world patina – I could sense a personal touch. There is a large wooden table, small fridge and a tastefully arranged tea set. Hot water and drinking water are provided daily. Two large rugs cover the pleasantly creaky wooden floors. There is a large cabinet with a safe inside opposite a gigantic mirror. The Padi room is really suitable for yoga inside and outside. The four-poster bed was covered with a mosquito net and has comfortable sheets and pillows. The room is also complete with air conditioning. The room is simple but full of character, from the roughness of the antique teak furnishings to the copper fittings in the bathrooms. The bathroom is actually set outside the building, with wooden flooring through which you can see the pebbled ground below.

Attention to details: wifi and Ethernet available; adaptors already located on electrical power bars; toiletries are organic and Cynthia Hardy’s personal blend of scent (neroli, lime, sandalwood) from A.W. Lake in Jakarta; copper rain shower-head; Japanese “Clean Butt” toilet with adjustable pressure and temperature (haha). Also, the staff had prepared a schedule for me as I'd mentioned various day trips I'd wanted to do and they checked in with me everyday, which was nice because I was solo-travelling.

Food: Home-made food served on my porch overlooking the Ayung Valley; food is sourced from local organic sources including Bambu's own organic garden; fresh fruit juices; home-made bread.

Services Provided: Natural pool (watched a local man cleaning the towering coconut trees, scaling up and down using his hands and feet); Balinese massage with organic oil; Elisa helped with scooter rental and car hire; car hire services with Pak Bebas who took me to a local bebek bakar warung down the street from Bambu that was the best spicy, grilled duck I’ve tasted in a while; making appointments with the Green School and the John Hardy jewelry showroom (visits there can help round out understanding of the Hardys’ philosophy of sustainable living with outstanding design and attention to detail).

The spectacular view of the Ayung Valley from my porch beat the view from the Four Season's Jati Bar, in my humble opinion. All in all, I will still recommend Bambu Indah a year later.

Room Tip: Padi House has fantastic view from the porch
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank love2travelChiangMai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2011

DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS PLACE IF YOU WANT A STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY IN UBUD!

After our driver from Seminyak dropped us off at the gate (and then drove off for all to see) we were warmly welcomed into reception and asked to take a seat. All good so far right? WRONG!

After mentioning our name we were told 'We have a problem'. Our room for 3 nights had been double-booked and was given to someone else earlier that day. This must happen all the time in Asia right? Well sure, but we had booked this 4 months ago! 4 Months! Apparently a system error was to blame.

Were we contacted over the course of the day? No! Even though a copy of our booking confirmation with contact details had been printed out and was in clear view at reception.

Did they even stop to think for a second that they should not take any bookings whilst there system was down? No! Obviously customer loyalty comes a distant second to attaining full occupancy.

This is inexcusable behaviour for a place charging over USD275 per night. Absolutely disgraceful.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Shark02
ManagerBambuIndah, Manager at Bambu Indah, responded to this review, 7 October 2015
Dear Shark02,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am really sorry to know about the system error leading to an overbooking and surely an uncomfortable check-in for you while wishing to “move in” and be welcomed in the family. Overbooking is not a common policy at the hotel as our rooms are so different from one to another and we always strive to privilege our guests experience over all. I sincerely hope that our team was able to take measures to correct their mistake when this incident occurred. Since your last stay we have constantly worked in improving the system, as well as trained our team to avoid these situations.Again, I would like to apologize for this terrible mistake and I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in person and continue this discussion. Please contact me at your earliest convenience via email diane.manager@bambuindah.com Thank you very much.

Warm greetings from Bali,

Diane & the Bambu Indah family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed at Bambu Indah for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon. Our room was Kuno House, which we found perfect in terms of location as you have the balcony privacy that some of the other houses lack and the rope swing can be used from the side door.

This is a strange one to review. On the one hand we had a fantastic time at Bambu Indah, and it was certainly a completely different and unique experience to our other hotel booked in Ubud (Nandini, which was also nice). However, I would say that for what you get at Bambu Indah, it is incredibly over-priced and I really couldn't see how they justify the rates.

It seems perfectly suited if you are a family looking for somewhere unique to take the kids. But, if you are a couple then I would definitely recommend going somewhere more adventurous elsewhere in Indonesia where you can have a much more authentic experience at a fraction of Bambu Indah's rates. For example, check out somewhere like Pulau Weh off the north coast of Sumatra where you can get a bungalow (not that different to Bambu Indah, aside from the designer magazines and fancy toilet) overlooking the incredible lagoon for about 10 dollars a night.

They seemed to struggle with catering for guests when full as we found on our 2nd morning, waiting over an hour for breakfast to arrive. Not impressive if they don't get things like that right which should be absolutely standard for that kind of room rate.

One very memorable experience though was the birthday meal they put on for my wife, where we ate in the main Javanese house, spoilt by several staff. Though not cheap, and the meal was fairly average, the ambience and experience was quite unforgettable!

Nice place, but they just need to bring their rates more in-line with what they actually offer!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tokyo2indo
Gland, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We went there with our son Liem (10 months) and what a wonderful experience we had.

We highly recommend it, whether you are going on honeymoon or as a family. The staff will do everything to make your stay as unique and unforgettable.

Beautiful houses, fantastic food, incredible view and all this with full respect of the environment.

We loved it, and will go back next time we visit Bali.

Niko & Tham

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2011

My first 2 nights in Bali I stayed at Bambu Indah and i wish i had booked my whole Holiday here. Here you have a Traditional Javanese cottage to yourself, set amongst a natural swimming pool and organic vegetable gardens. This place has a really warm, friendly feel to it, the staff can organise your tours, restaurants, what ever you need. Thanks Sri and Eva for your personal attention to my needs at Bambu Indah.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Bambu Indah is a unique experience (to call it a hotel is not doing it justice!) - the wooden houses are really amazing and the eco friendly approach impressive. But it is not for everyone. If you like nature but are not someone at ease with all the creepy crawlies that come with staying on a paddy field, this is not for you. Insects (mozzies, ants of all sizes, little bug things) are everywhere - so they will appear in the beds, bedding, bathroom, living on your toothbrush as I found! If you have allergies to bites, or have small kids/elderly people who do, I really would not recommend staying here. Lizards frogs are the friendly ones who eat the aforementioned insects, but you may not want to share a bedroom with them. It might also be a problem with someone less able, as the rickety bamboo bridge an narrow paths an be slippery and are not great for the less agile. Aside from that though, great food, lovely staff, idyllic setting and a definite 'wow' factor. As someone who visited me said,very 'swiss family robinson'.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank traveller2007
California
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Not much to add to the glowing reports, this place is too good to be true. We stayed at a lot of wonderful resorts in the world and this is one of the most memorable places. We took the Kuning and Kuno rooms, one of the kids one for my wife and I (don’t remember which one got which). As many said, this is like living in the rice paddles, luxury that bland so well in the nature. Every detail is thought through. Elisa and Eva are great. Highly recommended. Don’t skip the bicycle tour and the rafting the staff can arrange for you

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family