“Unmissable”

Ranked #62 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
London
“Unmissable”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

What strikes you first as you enter this collection of antique javanese houses is the walkway to the architecturally stunning reception. Cool stone floors mixed with bamboo and tasteful interiors. Upstairs is the treatment floor for massages etc. All the houses are different so choose your preference.
Spent 3 nights here in the The Padi House - a very serene, special atmosphere. Large with private deck and outside seating, spacious with huge floor mirror and most comfortable four poster bed with soft pillows and linen. Fell in love with the partly outdoor bathroom, taking hot showers at night to the chorus of what sounded like hundreds of frogs around the pond. Which you can swim in or leap into from a rope swing (or as I did, perch on the wooden walkway bridge and watch my friends).
Breakfast was simple but a delight with coffee/tea, the most delicious fresh fruit and choice of eggs or balinese rice porridge - all served in beautiful celadon pottery. They also do a very civilised complimentary afternoon tea & cake every day.
The manager - I wish I could remember her name - and all her staff couldn't have been more pleasant or accommodating, you felt more like a friend staying. This is a small, bijou gem of a hotel where you should just soak in the atmosphere, so go elsewhere if you want an upscale resort with a dozen facilities on tap.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank whiteisle71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stayed at Bambu Indah awhile back with a friend at the Afrika house. It was absolutely wonderful! It was a big room and my friend and i had plenty of space. The view from the house was also stunning in the day; the house was overseeing rice padi fields coupled with more greenery. It was the perfect view for sunset! We managed to catch the sunset twice over the weekend and it was breathtaking..

Stepping into Bambu Indah is seems to be like travelling back in time; i'm not referring to the facilities, but more of the atmosphere and environment. All accommodation are in old wooden houses, but the hotel is definitely a type of eco- luxury. Being in the hotel is perfect for us since we came to ubud to get away from the busy city life. It was definitely a relaxing weekend for us.

Also, the hotel is eco-friendly based with the use of organic soap etc. I will always try to use the pools when i visit hotels and the swimming pool is rather unique in my opinion..instead of having chemicals in the pool, the pool water felt very natural and the experience is definitely different. To me, it felt like I was swimming in a pond! Accustomed to the city life, I was initially shocked to find a frog swimming in front of me! It was pretty interesting i must say.. For any nature lovers, this place is not to be missed!!! This place will definitely be one of my first choice when i need another short escape from the city.

Room Tip: From what I understood, all the houses are of different sizes and unique..so be sure to check before...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ey_72
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We loved a lot about Bambu Indah. We had a very nice and relaxing stay. We were well taken care of, the food was amazing, and we appreciated the attention to detail throughout the resort. This was the most expensive and last place we chose for our honeymoon. We stayed in the Pali House. Upon arrival, we were told our room was not yet ready, even though we arrived an hour after check in. They gave us a coconut and we hung out in the lobby waiting for about an hour. Once they took us the the room we liked the look. Great views from the front porch, and we settled right in. Since we were without a car and not near the center of town, it would have been nicer to be able to choose from a menu of food, instead of picking from the selection of the 2-3 specials of the day. My favorite part of the stay was my massage by the healer. Spa treatments were reasonably priced. Though this place was unique and Im glad we got to stay there, it is not the best place for a honeymoon. We stayed in 6 hotels over our 12 night stay in Bali, and this was the most expensive and the least favorite of them all. There is definitely an appeal to staying in ancient javanese bridal huts, the the creakiness of the floors and the lack of privacy in the bathroom/shower led to a lack of romance. The ac unit above the bed was weak, so we slept cocooned under our mosquito net sweating and uncomfortable. The pool was great and we had a nice time on the rope swing. This was our last stop on our trip, and they helped arrange transport to DPS for us which was nice. Again, was a nice experience but would probably choose another place to stay before going back to Bambu Indah. Before we even landed in CA, they had emailed to see if we would review on trip advisor and ask how our stay was. Here you go!

1 Thank JessaL0VE
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed five nights at Bambu Indah in the Pagota House. We loved everything about the resort - except our room. We paid the same amount of money as if we would have stayed in one of the other bungalows, but the Pagota House is one of the owner's daughter's homes. While everyone else enjoyed beautiful views of the rice patties, the river, or the resort, our view was the owner's house (we were right next door) and a trampoline in his yard. I've included pictures. The room was completely glass, with sheer curtains - a little awkward because it felt like we had no privacy. There is a gap between the windows and the roof of the house. So lots of mosquitos, bugs, and geckos joined us in our room. If you have a fear of creepy crawlers at night, staying in the Pagota house is not for you. My husband loved listening to the sounds of the jungle - he slept like a baby. I, however, was terrified every night that something would crawl into our hut! If we had to stay in the Pagota house again, I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Pagoda house. No privacy and no view.
2 Thank JonandRayna
Stockholm - Sweden
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is probably the future of hotels as well as of business.
Eco-friendly hotel-living meets the business concept of story-telling.

What you get is an ancient basic hut with creaking floorboards. Every hut is unique and has its own story. On top of that is the story of how and why the owners ended up on Bali and why they started a hotel.

All in all it was a very special experience that I can understand has tremendous appeal for some guest - make sure you are one of them.

I do – however – have three objections that will refrain me from recommending it to my friends;

• The price is the price of a real luxury hotel – and this place does not have the trimmings to justify that.
• It is pretty far away from Ubud and the hotel does not operate a complimentary shuttle service (which is fairly common). This means that you will spend lots of time in and money on taxis.
• The mosquitos were all over the place. We have stayed at several hotels close to the rivers in the Ubud area but nowhere have we been so badly bitten. I wondered why there were only two lounge beds by the pool – now I know why…

Room Tip: All the huts are different so make sure you check out their website before you decide
1 Thank FredrikWBU
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Bambu Indah offers something different from other resorts in Bali. First off, it is a small property with only 11 homes, and therefore it offers an intimate setting. The homes are also more than 100 years old with lots of culture and heritage (they each have a story to tell!) Not to forget the bamboo structures (beautiful!!) as well as the natural swimming pool (where you can swim with fishes!) The staff were friendly, and do make an effort to remember your name. Requests are often met with a smile :)

On the whole, if you are looking for peace and serenity in a beautiful setting, Bambu Indah is a must!

P.S. The house with the outdoor shower was just heaven. I have never taken so many baths in my life before.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank raymondraphael
ManagerBambuIndah, Manager at Bambu Indah, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear raymondraphael,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write us a positive review. We are happy that you enjoyed a peaceful vacation with us.

Come back soon for more outdoor showers and swims with fishes!

Warm wishes,

The Bambu Indah Family
Brooklyn, USA
Reviewed 24 September 2013

First off, Bambu Indah is not for everyone. My first night, it was foreign to be in a more "rustic" environment and it took some getting used to but the beauty of Bambu Indah is that your experience gets better and better every minute and hour you are there. For me personally, it reminded me of things that must have first drawn travelers to Ubud. The beautiful view of Bandung's rice paddies, the original Balinese homes, the earthy and natural foods and ingredients, the sounds of frogs and birds... I slept as well as I do when I am out in the mountains away from everything modern. Some have complained about the distance to center of town but once you are in the center of town, I guarantee you that the noise and pollution will have you running back to Bambu Indah.

2 Thank solotravels
ManagerBambuIndah, Manager at Bambu Indah, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear solotravels,

Thank you for your honest review and for giving us a chance to host you.

Bambu Indah is a nature lover's haven and we are glad that you found solace in our organic, natural environment.

We are located just outside of Ubud, a short 15-minute drive away. Some of our guests love the fact that they can escape from the hustle and bustle of Ubud and return to the tranquility of our home at the end of the day.

We have, however, taken our guests' feedback into consideration and recently introduced a daily shuttle service for our guests.

We look forward to having you back here with us in the near future.

Thanks again for your review.

Warm wishes,