“I wish I Didn't Have To Leave”
Review of Bambu Indah

and 1 more site!
Bambu Indah
Ranked #61 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Brooklyn, New York
“I wish I Didn't Have To Leave”
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

After traveling for two months on our honeymoon, this place could not have been a more welcome experience. There was not a detail in the place that was unconsidered. The grounds themselves are not huge, yet there is an amazing sense of privacy to each of the small private houses. The public areas are all built with experimental bamboo architecture, and the the furniture is perfectly curated. This attention to detail is what makes this place shine. We had an outdoor shower in our room, and the most comfortable bed with great linens. The room overlooked a vegetable garden and an incredible (and very highly appointed) treehouse. We attended a lecture one evening in a big temporary bubble structure, given by a Danish architect. This was a welcome surprise and even included a free dinner.
The staff is polite and caring and extremely helpful. This might be the best hotel I have ever stayed at, not lavish or extravagant, but just considered and thoughtful. A class act.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
England, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Me and my husband stayed here on the last part of our honeymoon and it was definitely the highlight of our trip! Bambu Indah is just beautiful, if you love nature and if you want to feel like you are truly in Bali than this is the place to be. The view of the rice fields is just breathtaking! On our first day we had lunch at the restaurant, we ordered the garden salad and you see the staff go into the vegetable plot to pick your food, and it tasted delicious. The staff are so friendly, happy and will assist you in the best possible way. My favourite memory I take away from Bali is the rope swing, so much fun!!

I love to travel and to visit places only once but I think I will have to make an exception and return to Bambu Indah, it is truly paradise and I did not want to leave! Bambu Indah is a unique special place and I thank you for the magical experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel doesn't have the glitz and glamour of a cookie cutter hotel but if that's what you normally get this is a breath of fresh air - quite literally. It's about 10 minutes outside of ubud but thy offer a free shuttle. Plus ubud is packed with tourists. Definitely go into town for a few hours if it's your first visit. Plus it'll make your return to the hotel that much more special. It's really a beautiful place and you feel like you're in a tropical place. Nature is all around you. We also love the shared dining table where you can sit and talk to other amazing guests from all over the world. Just great.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I known this hotel from internet. After read testimony from travellers in tripadvisor about this hotel, we decided to stayed here. When we arrived in this hotel, the hotel staff welcoming us very nicely. Check in process only take a few minutes, they really friendly and helpfull.

We're stayed in udang house, very unique house with beautifull outdoor bathroom. It's seems like ancient house, but it's very unique. We can see a lot of fish and shrimps inside our house. They use glass floor so we can see anything under it, loved this experience. Everything is just perfect, the view, the bed, the bio pool, it's really heaven in ubud.

I'm very recommended this place to everyone who loved nature. The view was extraordinary, we can see rice field, river, organic plants, etc. The bio pool was amazing (my husband and my 3 years old daughter very enjoyed this bio pool). There is tarzan rope hanging in the coconut tree, we can use this in the bio pool. This is new experience for me and my family, wonderfull experience. We slept very well that night, the bed very comfy, no mosquitos in our udang house (the hotel provided mosquitos lotion).

Next day in the morning, we go to the restaurant for breakfast. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. View from restaurant amazing, we can see coconut tree, organic plan, etc. Our breakfast was good, especially the scramble egg, the best I've ever eat. Tea also excellent, it very unique flavor. I've recommend lemongrass tea with honey and lime, loved it. Unfortunately, we only stayed for 1 night, very sad we had to leave this hotel. But I'll be back soon, just wait for us...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank vivi1004
sacramento ca
Reviewed 2 November 2013

After a 20 hour flight and arriving in sweltering conditions at night; we arrived thru a residential neighborhood, to a gravel driveway. We were led to a small 100 year old shack with bugs and creaky floors. I was not impressed and wondered what I had gotten my wife and I into. The small AC unit only kind of worked. I demanded they allow me to cancel the remainder of my stay. Even though it was short notice they allowed me to cancel.

The next morning I went to the restaurant for coffee and they brought it to me on my deck. We were seated on the deck overlooking the garden and forest having coffee, listening to all the jungle creatures and I stared thinking; this is not too bad.

I upgraded my room to one of the front cabins, Kunho House. A large room, with a spectacular view of the jungle, rice paddies and volcano. We spent the next two days exploring the surrounding areas of Bali. Bali is very crowded and busy. Each afternoon we looked forward to returning to the quiet, serene, oasis of Bambu Indah.

The staff is friendly, and helpful. Mary, and the hotel manager were some of the nicest hotel personnel I have ever met. There is a private path to a river, that leads to rice fields and a local swimming hole. The residential neighborhood I was worried about was great. Each day I went for a walk and "EVERYONE", small children, old men and woman, young people, greeted me with a smile and hello. We ate most of meals at the hotel restaurant. Reasonably priced and delicious. I rented a scooter from the hotel, about $6 dollars a day. We would go to Ubud several times a day from the hotel. About a 25 minute scooter drive.

We took a look at some of the other 5 star resorts in the area. The Four Seasons is a few minutes away. Very impressive, but very sterile. The Bambu Indah has a much better view of the country side.

Overall it was a great experience. I actually regretted leaving there. Its not for everyone. But it gets you a little closer to experiencing old Bali.

Two small areas of concern. I would recommend not staying in Blue House. Its close to the kitchen and noisy. And second is the pool. They keep in natural and eco friendly. Which means they get the water from the river and don't use chlorine. Its green with critters in it. I prefer clear, chlorinated water. However, many people were swimming in it and seemed to survive.

Room Tip: Choose one of the three front cabins
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mike95762
ManagerBambuIndah, Manager at Bambu Indah, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear mike95762,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us. We have enjoyed hosting you and your wife tremendously.

Biru House is indeed located close to the kitchen and restaurant and can be noisy at times. We are working on installing a sound barrier to improve this situation. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Kuno House.

Our natural swimming pond is definitely not for the faint hearted. There are dragonflies, fish, waterskaters and the occasional frogs, not to mention the Tarzan swinging rope!

Thank you so much for the ice cream treats for me and my staff on the hottest day of the year! Both of you are some of the most gracious guests we have ever encountered and we enjoyed getting to know you.

We hope to host you again in the near future.

Thank you once again!

With warmest regards,

Meliana, Meri and The Bambu Indah Family
Pondicherry, India
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Bambu Indah was truely inspiring. The little wooden huts, the bio-pool, the bamboo architecture, the experience of living on a farm...everything was wonderful. We stayed at the Kollam House and it was gorgeous if one likes wooden huts which have a feel of being very ancient....which we did. The semi-outdoor bathroom and the lotus pond in front were very enjoyable. The staff were very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights in Padi house at Bambu Indah and what a waste of money.

The hotel website sells itself as an "eco-luxury boutique hotel" and in some sections even refers to itself as "our resort". Check the definition of luxury and resort. This place is far from luxury let alone a resort.

The house we stayed in is more accurately described as a primitive hut. I don't mind camping, but not when they charge $300USD a night! The AC (switched on by the staff each night - this must be the "luxury" part) in an eco hotel at first seems strange, but you realise this is a necessity because you literally batten down the doors and windows at night - installing some fly screens surely wouldn't destroy the heritage of the Javanese bridal homes, considering they install toilets and a/c. Still this doesn't stop the bugs, ants and mosquitoes that crawl through all the cracks.

On our first night, I was woken up at 4am by rain, not the pitter-patter sound of rain, but by rain penetrating our roof. Our bed was soaked.

Not all the huts have a view. The 2 huts located behind us only enjoyed the view and sounds of my morning bowel movement through the open bathrooms. Speaking of bathroom, our toilet was covered in bull ants and there was a hole in the floor large enough for my kids leg to slip though.

The "pool" is a small pond, that comfortably fits 2-3 people. Guests literally wait for their turn for a "swim".

Bambu Indah is about 15mins from Ubud. So night time eating options is limited to the onsite restaurant if you do not have transport. Main meals are around $12USD per serve, $4USD for drinks and $3.50 USD for a cappuccino - this is on par with the most expensive resorts in Seminyak. In a country where you can buy a bottle of Coke for 40c, this is a blatant rip off.

A 15min car ride into Ubud organised through the hotel cost us $65USD!!!!! An equivalent taxi ride would have cost $3USD. For comparison, one would expect to pay that much for a full day tour with your own private driver - Bambu Indah, its not necessary to rip off your guests, who travel from far away to support your eco cause. SHAMEFUL. For further comparison, the hotel we stayed in the week before in Sanur would charge $12USD for a 45min drive to Seminyak. Note, the drivers themselves only receive a fraction of this fee.

All this however is not a reflection on the Balinese hotel staff who were very pleasant and helpful and the stunning piece of Javanese heritage - the Minang House - but that's about it to Bambu Indah. The feature eco soaps and fly spray is all very nice - but really, so what!? Without flyspray, you would be eaten alive by the bugs.

Check out the other good hotels in Ubud before you decide on this place and be sure this is the place for you. Be prepared for camping conditions.

Bambu Indah, advertise yourself as a camp site or farmstay and re-adjust your prices accordingly.

Room Tip: If you suddenly feel like blowing your money, insist on a room with a view of the rice paddies - as...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank lmxchan
ManagerBambuIndah, Manager at Bambu Indah, responded to this review, 7 October 2015
Hi lmxchan,

Thank you for spending the time to review us after your stay, it is a very valuable insight for us to improve our guests experience and we really appreciate your feedback. We are so sorry to know you did not enjoy your experience and we apologize for your disagreement in value for money. We understand how important product clarity is to ensure our guests are fully enjoying the value of our resort. Guests often refer to us as a resort because they don’t want to go anywhere else…just to enjoy the natural grounds, the home-like atmosphere and our locally grown organic food at its fullest. Our natural swimming pond is still as green and harmless as it used to be, although, we plan a monthly cleaning, emptying our 131 feet long, 8 feet deep pool to hand brush the liners and clear out the natural algae stored in approximately 300’000 liters of water!
Nevertheless, since your last visit we have done many improvements to the property,including in and around the bridal homes. We have also worked on our wood houses, trying to isolate them as much as we can, without destroying their own identity and charm. We have improved control over mosquitoes all around the property, including the adjacent villagers houses, with a special team coming every week to scan the property and help us deal with this common issue the most natural way. We have also worked on our sustainability and have become more environmental friendly. For example our staff does not turn on the AC anymore, and we welcome our guests to do it themselves if they feel like this comfort is unconditional. Nevertheless, many guests enjoy the cool, natural breeze we receive from the cliff, making our nights comfortably chilled and the fluffy duvets a wonderful excuse to sleep the windows open. The transport is still sourced from the local village cooperative, that we support for many years because we do not have our own hotel driver.They charge $6 for a transfer in town; and we offer a free shuttle twice a day for our guests. Our restaurant prices are not low end, although the premium coffees (cappuccino, etc.) using imported milk and freshly roasted organic coffee, locally sourced, is priced around $2.40. Our food cost and food quality justifies our prices (average price range for a hearty dinner meal with meat would be $8.8). We believe our “farm to table” food, hand-picked by our food production team every day, and prepared by our Balinese cooks, is of very high value, where in Bali, most of the vegetables are not cultivated with organic and sustainable methods. Also, we are proud to reward our food production team for their hard work and patience. Indeed, there are considered as a cooperative, with a fixed wage supported by the hotel, and a variable monthly salary, depending on the produce they sell to our kitchen. The price of their high quality produce is fixed according to the organic market prices, increasing their salary, sense of achievement and motivation every month! Nevertheless, it is wonderful to know the highlight of your stay was our amazing team as well as the stunning black bamboo open space and that you support our sustainable cause. I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in person and continue this discussion. Please contact me at your earliest convenience via email to diane.manager@bambuindah.com Thank you very much!

Warm regards,