“Best part of our trip!”
Review of Bambu Indah

Bambu Indah
Ranked #60 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Best part of our week-long trip to Bali! We stayed here in December 2013; my girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights, and both regret not making this the entire base of our 7-day trip. Hands down one of the best choice you can make, especially if you're staying in Ubud.

-The rooms (villas) are the best part...antique and exotic, with a feel like you're either Balinese royalty or simply at home, living in the middle of the jungle (highly recommend the Elora and Orin house!!). Also very clean and extremely comfortable (for those worried that it's too exotic or un-resort like). I'll note that this isn't a five-star hotel like St Regis, but the authentic/chic feel and presentation of both the room and resort MORE than compensate for marble-tiled rooms and upscale living (why would you go to Bali for that anyways?). To note, we finished our Bali trip at the 5-star Ayana resort in Nusa Dua, but found the Bambu Indah to still blow that place away!

-Stunning views of rice paddies and hills beyond from the resort itself, and a short hike away from the Ayung River. Ubud center is a 10-15-minute drive away (about $7 USD cab ride).

-Great staff. Very friendly and knowledgeable; both the manager Sutka and his warm staff ensured our every need was taken care of promptly and effectively. They even helped me after I'd gotten Bali Belly early in the trip--gave me some (free) medicine and remedies that quickly helped to dissolve the issue.

-Tasteful, healthy food. Breakfast always came with an excellent selection of fresh fruit and juice, along with a well prepared dish that was cooked to order off the menu. Lunch and dinner had an array of alacarte options, all of which were reasonably priced and served in a beautiful open-air restaurant.

Recommend doing some research on your room/house before reserving, as different houses offer different experiences (some are larger and more fancy, others smaller and more homey). The Elora/Orin House was awesome, and I've heard amazing things about Afrika House as well. Some--like ours--have outdoor (secluded) showers where you can shower under the stars!

Loved every bit of the Bambu Indah..if/when we return to Bali, we will DEFINITELY be staying here again!

If you have more questions on this or other parts of Bali, feel free to contact me at okinarlix@gmail.com

Room Tip: Elora and Orin House! Though it's suitable for up to four or more (two separate bedrooms, inclu...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Narlix
There are newer reviews for Bambu Indah

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This time I came back with my 5 years old daughter and my husband joined us later.
We had a great time, met really great people. Learned to prepare offerings with Ibu in the morning after breakfast. I saw this place through my child eyes this time and I think it made it even more magical, she loved the pool, garden, animals.
The rain we had didn't made it worst at all it was a different atmosphere.
The staff is always soo nice but not like nice nice just they are really intelligent dedicated people.
We will be back for a 4th time, hope to bring friends this one!

1  Thank magaussie
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Bambu Indah is a nice, relaxing and peaceful place to stay while in Ubud. You stay in a wooden hut, hear symphony of night before you sleep, face beautiful paddy fields in front of your hut, served delicious organic meals (not a big fan of organic and vegetables but I loved my porridge breakfast served here)

Everything about the resort is all about nature.....even the food comes from the garden around the resort.

The staff is also excellent and very friendly. When we were there, they patiently explained everything about the overview of the resort and were very helpful.

If you come with other members of the family, though, you may need to prepare them what the resort is all about. It was a bit of a shock some of us when they couldn't the TV inside the hut, saw the wooden floor and coped with the insects at night. But nonetheless it was still a memorable stay.....you should try it.

1  Thank Jalan2x
Reviewed 18 December 2013

There's no place like home. The Bambu Indah staff and John Hardy makes you feel like you're part of the family here. Their tag line is "move in with us", and it's hard not to want to stay forever. We stayed in the newly built Sumba House that Elora Hardy designed. Modeled after the traditional homes on Sumba Island in Indonesia, it looks like a tall Dr. Seuss sombrero hat. The interior is made with bamboo, even the floors. The curves will be great for your arches. Don't think about wearing heels in there! ;-) The two floor bunglalow was spacious and one of the most unique places I've stayed. We spent a memorable and celebratory Thanksgiving/John's birthday with his family and friends in the blown up orange bubble in his courtyard, with flower petals strewn everywhere. Many thanks for the incredible stay! We will be back!

Room Tip: Tower Room and Sumba are really unique! I love them both!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ChrissieLamchop
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We live in Bali, and Bambu Indah is one of our favorite 'escapes' on the island. The setting is impeccable, the architecture is stunning, the guest houses (antique bridal homes of Javanese noblemen) are beautiful, the food is simple and delicious, and the swimming pool is an adventure in itself.

We frequent Bambu for breakfast (if they have the duck sausage, try it!), and I recently stayed for a night with my two young children (ages 3 & 5) as a surprise treat while their mother was away in Singapore. We stayed in Padi House, overlooking the pool (which was a good thing, because once they discovered the rope swing they couldn't be coaxed away). When they weren't swimming, they explored the vast grounds -- catching small creatures, nibbling from the organic gardens (who can resist a ripe tomato?), and descending a steep staircase to the river below.

There is a rustic sophistication to Bambu, reminiscent of the Serengeti safari we took for our honeymoon. Classic, understated decor is the standard, and thoughtful details abound. Service is prompt and cheery, but not obsequious. There is a magic and mystique to the entire experience that won't be lost on adults, but was frankly epic for our young children.

A few notes for fellow travelers to set expectations:

1. BI is on the edge of Ubud, difficult to find, and removed from the bustle and tourist sites. If you're looking for an 'urban' Ubus experience, this isn't the place.

2. The food is fresh and delicious (much of it prepared from the extensive organic gardens on site) but the menu is limited and ever-changing. There are typically 3-4 entrees to choose from, per meal, always with a vegetarian and meat option.

3. BI is rustic, in the best sense of the word. The restaurant is open air, the freshwater pool is fed by a creek, and the houses are, well, antique bridal homes (though meticulously upgraded). If you are looking for a more predictable (sterile?) experience, the Four Seasons is just down the road.

4  Thank Kit C
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have just spent the most amazing two weeks in Ubud, Bali, staying at Bambu Indah.

I initially booked 5 nights to see if I would enjoy the experience of Bambu Indah. Then on day two I decided to book another 8 nights, allowing me to stay in 4 of Bambu Indah's unique houses. Kuda, Manis, Kuning and the Kuno Houses all different and all naturally memorable.

This is a place I would recommend anyone to stay, partake in the experience and really enjoy what Bambu Indah has to offer. I promise you will think differently about how you look at your natural surroundings after a stay here. Every single person at Bambu Indah made my experience the most wonderful trip ever. I am home now, clicking through my photos, thinking to myself, how quickly can I move back in!

John, Elora, Orin and all of the staff at Bambu Indah, thank you, thank you, thank you!
Check out the website and make a booking. This will be a trip, location and place you will never want to forget and one I am sure you will return. Email me with any questions you may have about this place.
Jason Manik

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank comingtophuket
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I cant recommend this place enough!The gardens,outlook and architecture all are beautiful and so full of integrity it made me feel so lucky to have been able to stay there.The food was some of the best of or whole trip and the pool was by far the best.All the staff were so helpful and welcoming and full of knowledge.Everything you could want in a luxury paradise but done with such knowledge, consideration and respect for the environment it makes you feel so special.Thank you for the best stay!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends