“Luxury redifined”
Review of Bambu Indah

Bambu Indah
Ranked #60 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We stayed there for our Honeymoon and we were blown away by it! This is the true Balinese experience where you stay in a lovely cottage that once was a house for a Java princess with a spectacular view of the rice paddies and have a tailor made organic meal for you by the terrace.

The pool is actually a lovely pond that has the water naturally filtered and has no need for any chemical products and the place is right next to a beautiful river which we visited swam in!

The breakfast was served to us by the deck and was the best I had in our trip to Bali, all natural organic products produced on property. You could really notice how fresh the fruit was!

John Harvey has created an Oasis perfect to disconnect from the world and contemplate the scenery. Bambu Indah redefines luxury and when everyone is still looking famous Hotel chains in the island, this is a great break from them!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bambu Indah

Reviewed 20 September 2008

Yes, the setting is pretty amazing and the accommodation (we booked the second to top room) is nice in a rustic sort of way (think Evason Hideaway with some really nice stuff e.g. the copper bowls) - and then a lack of attention to other issues (one dirty glass only in the room, no bug repellant at all - other than something really really toxic which is weird for such a place as this, lighting that means you cannot read outside on your balcony and antique bed that creaks every time you move, and where one person has to crawl over the other to get out if you need to ...).

Yes, this is a nice place with some really pleasant people (like most of Bali). However we were told several times that they were understaffed - even though there was plenty of staff, all apparently servicing the owner's house next door. Amazing birthday dinner cooked with no booking for me on the first night - fantastic. The rest of the food was pretty good to - but the fact that it is included means that you often don't get to use the menu - just eat whatever is being cooked for others (presumably next door). Also, the wine options had to the the worst in Bali - I was happy to pay and most other places have a good range but here there was a limited range and then none.

Someone on this site mentioned cooking lessons. I asked but was told that the kitchen is private (next door). Also we had an accompanied trip to the John Hardy factory included. We asked to book this. The day we were meant to go we were told that it (the factory) has been sold so it was a problem. We did get to go (with no guide - just given a bad map that was very hard to follow) - and had to drive ourselves there (we were supposed to have a guide, lunch there etc).

On our visit to the prawn farm / house I took a few photos from our hotel out at the view. The guide then told me "no photos" - he thought that I was taking photos too close to the owners house next door.

Finally the pool - OK, rock pool and it could be in a fairly stagnant creek. Nice to look at but I got in! It was green and slimey and my togs went a very smelly green. The next day pool guys came to clean it for like the whole day (10 metres from our hut with a big electric pump) but it seemed no better.

I would recommend this place for a few days - but no more. If you want an up market hut that you may have stayed in 20 years ago for $20 - with a few nice amendments (yip, and you can drink the tap water) and some nice staff (the cooking team) then stay here. If you want to be able to go to the bathroom without the 3 hour yoga class for owners, friends and the occasional guest being not far away from your non-sold bathroom wall then go elsewhere.

Put simply, this place could be great - but the owners need to decide if it is a hotel or a place for their friends to stay (and possibly I suspect - review, given what I have read).

Enjoy Bali.

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank Stu&Mich
Reviewed 26 August 2008

This place is the ultimate hidden jem. Luxury hotel yes, but also a take-you-back-in-time paradise garden. The suites are antique javanese bungalows on stilts above the gardens, overlooking this sprawling river valley with sunset views. We had a feast of a dinner in the black bamboo pavillion and the food is like nothing I ate at any restaurant-- there is real Balinese festival food, much of it grown organically all around you in the gardens. Also excellent pasta and arugula salads. We stayed in 'Java house' which has a motion-sensor light to guide your way to the bathroom at night! Loved the african textiles in the bathroom, and had a lemongrass and ginger scented bubble bath in the pounded-brass bathtub. All around was the sound of trickling water, and a few steps from our porch I did laps in the fern-lined forest pool.

I know the Balinese are notoriously warm and gracious, but I wasn't expecting this degree of welcome. To be able to go out and explore intense Bali, and come home to this secret garden world, was the perfect balance.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank searchingforeden
Reviewed 22 August 2008

The first thing that I noticed at Bambu Indah when I walked through the entrance, was the silence. Finally! If you've been to bali, you know that it is hard to hide from the constant reverberating noises that surround you. As I walked further, I noticed the breath taking view. Beyond the river, set deep below, are green rice feilds sprawling out in front of you! They can even be viewed while sitting in the (chlorine-free) swimming pool, set into it's environment so discretely, I feel like I'm in a natural spring.
The villas are traditional javanese style, heavy wood, with intricate carving on the walls, delicately letting sun seep in. You truly feel like you are back to nature here. The outdoor bathrooms allow you to feel the breeze, and look over the lush compound whilst showering too! On my second day I booked myself in for a massage. The massage was done in a seperate house on the land. As the incense relaxed my mind, the massage eased my muscles!
Another perk to this hideaway is the food. And I am a serious food lover! The local dishes made on the premises, are hearty, organic, tasty spreads. No need to travel out to try the island's best.
After my stay here, I felt completely rejuvenated. If you're after the "old" bali experience, go no further than Bambu Indah. I'm already planning my next stay ;)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank nomadalixx
Reviewed 15 August 2008

I never write up about my travel experiences, but I just returned from Bambuh Inda and I have to say that this was the best overall experience that I've had on vacation.

From the first moment I landed, they treated us like family. Always warm, approachable and attentive. It is a photographer's dream; a valley of rice fields under the sunset. Original Balinese gourmet was served in our bungalows. There are no loud bars or clubs. Not a scene to meet singles, but wonderful for a romantic couple or a young family. Simply unforgettable.

Stayed: July 2008
4  Thank nagaraara
Reviewed 3 August 2008

wonderful setting, in the middle of agricultural land overlooking a valley. Very much worth it for the view alone. The food was excellent. The facilities look rustic but are top of the line. the ecological feel of the place was a very special touch. I would recommend anyone I know to stay there. the only downside is it is a bit difficult to find and I understand that it will be easier in the future when more signs are posted.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank SoloBill
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Though I saw a lot of places, all over the world, I would never
have thought, to come accross a place, where I actually wanted
to stay forever.
In Bambu Indah you find peace of hart, away from the hussle of
everyday live.
In Europ they say: first see Naples and than die.
Now I say: before you die: visit Bambu Indah in Ubud.
You won`t regret it!