“Tranquility at its best”
Review of Bambu Indah

and 1 more site!
Bambu Indah
Ranked #62 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Singapore, Singapore
“Tranquility at its best”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our stay at the blue house just next to the restaurant was a truly unique experience for me. Bambu Indah can be a little hard to find as our driver had to call the recep to ask for directions. Fresh coconut juice was prepared in front of us as welcome drinks and the receptionist brought us on a tour around the property immed aft check in. It was a pity that we only stayed for 1 night and did not get to fully enjoy the tranquility there. You could just spend the day lazing around on the hammock which offers an awesome view of the padi field or take a swing from the coconut tree and have a dip in the natural lake.

During dinner we had informed one of the restaurant staff that we were unable to go for breakfast the next day as we had to wake up at 2am for our sunrise trekking. The lady offered to pack us breakfast box and we were pleased to hear such an offer. However, the breakfast boxes were not prepared the next day which led to some disappointment. Luckily, there was service recovery as they agreed to our request of bringing us breakfast to dine at our villa after we returned though it was slightly past breakfast time.

PS: the place is quite dark at night and it would be advisable for you to take your swim in the day time instead.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After my first night in Bambu Indah, I woke up in a peaceful surrounding. Day light slowly streamed into the room and as I looked out of the house, i saw so many different shades of green of plants and trees. This is it, a perfect place to unwind. After staying 3 nights here, I realise that I have not done enough in my daily life to help the world to stay green. I definitely like to do more after my experience in Bamboo Indah. I feel very back to nature staying in the hut and showering outdoor (the hot water was so efficient) especially when it was dark at night.

The garden and the lovely view beyond keep you relaxed in the hotel ground. The young ones in the family enjoyed their yoga session and the swimming pool.

The Bambu Indah staff have done well in making us feel very welcome. Will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Elora and Orin House - good for family. The family stayed together and the adult children had their...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Upon arrival the place blows your mind, we were served fresh coconut water in a silver goblet! It is visually spectacular and breathtaking. We stayed here in the Jawa-Lama (?? I think) house at the end of our honeymoon travels around Bali - the room was beyond beautiful and the bed linen was heavenly. The tree-house cured my fear of heights, after my husband encouraged me to climb up, I was petrified but it was SO worth it!
Having stayed in high end and mid-budget accommodation throughout our trip I would honestly say you get better value and service in the mid-range places than the higher priced resorts in Bali.
I am such a foodie, and Bali is a food lovers dream, but the food here was VERY average and was the most expensive meal we had all holiday; it was basically chicken on the bone with veg. We saw the owner practically spit it out and complain to the cook on the only night we ate there. I'm not sure why it was so pricey, as they say they grow most of their produce on site? The food at Melting Wok in town was infinitely better and a fraction of the price, also the Three Monkeys set next to padi fields was lovely. It's also the only place where I cannot remember what the breakfasts were like, I can recall, (in scary detail) every meal in Bali as it was so mouthwatering, but I have no idea what they served here in the morning. The wine and afternoon tea at Bambu were good though.
We also had a fantastic trek with the hotel guide Coco and walked for hours in the hills and near by villages. I would highly recommend that.
The owner never spoke to us or said morning, even when I did. Normally you wouldn't notice but everywhere else you stay in Bali, whether it was 5* or a beach shack, the owners and managers cannot do enough for you and always make such a HUGE effort with everyone that it was quite a noticeable contrast when we stayed at Bambu Indah.
The pool, if you like natural water pools with slime and fish, was refreshing and has a great rope swing but as soon as we got out we were eaten alive but tiny bugs so it became quite unpleasant to sit out. The rooms had mosquito cream/repellant in, and we had our own, but it did nothing to stop the onslaught of night time mozzies. We'd been travelling round Bali for a few weeks and had no bites, but went home covered in them after staying here. I know it's set in the jungle and I should have expected it but it was quite unpleasant, so I would recommend spray with 50% deet (ours was lower), and sun lotion and aftersun with repellant in it. Bambu has a strong emphasis on eco/organic living so lotions with chemicals in are not ideal but it kind of ruined the end of my trip.
The accommodation is not really near the heart of Ubud so we had to get a driver to pick us up and collect us every time we went out, which became annoying and was costly.
Despite Bambu's wow factor I'm not sure I would stay here again, which I would not say about anywhere else we stayed in Bali.

Room Tip: I'm sure every single room here is delightful.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clara27_11
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Where do I begin? The location? The view? The design? The service? The tranquility? They were all exceptional....
We were welcomed in the Minangkabau House, where there restaurant is and you can the most breathtaking view that is unique to Ubud.
We stayed at the Udang House, which troubled me at first since the floor is made of glass, but no worries, no accident to be reported. It has shrimps looming from the rocks at the bottom of pond underneath the house and at night you can turn on the lights to see them crawling :)
As we're a big fan of traditional houses, this place was a dream come true. They were all original Javanese traditional houses that was shipped from Java to Bali. They were all different from one another and Rumah Udang is placed in the middle of the area, so it's got partial view of the rice terraces, nonetheless our view were still exceptional. Some of the bigger & more expensive houses are placed up front so they have uninterrupted view of Ubud, so if you can splurge I suggest getting the more expensive ones. The outdoor bathroom did not bother us one bit, although we've been warned of the insects that casually hangs around. TIP: they have the best organic toiletry set there is, so make sure you try them!
As Ubud is known for the tranquility and holistic living, it's no wonder that the food was mostly organic and healthy, which is a bonus for us. The organic living continues down to the swimming pool that uses no chemicals for cleaning, it was so refreshing to be able to swim without hurting your eyes & nose.
All in all, I can wait to go back there again! Loved everything about it & would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a peace of mind.

Room Tip: If you can splurge, opt for the more expensive rooms as they have uninterrupted views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laksari M
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Have to write this review to emphasize how amazing our wedding was here at Bambu Indah.

Diane our wedding co ordinator was beyond beautiful and overwhelmingly helpful. Making the day completely stress free and organising every little detail.
The crew at Bambu did a stunning floral arrangement for the day that was so stunning and tasteful and they all witnessed our wedding as we had no family.

The location was amazing for photographs and the view is unbelievable. We were married on the Afrika deck which overlooked the forest,river and rice fields. Too stunning.

Overall it was such a beautiful and unforgettable day that was only enhanced by how attentive Diane and the staff were!

Highly recommend!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our second stay and once again we were delighted with the whole experience. It's a fabulous place to end a trip in Indonesia and the staff are obviously pretty passionate about where they work.

We stayed in Padi Villa and asked for a late check-in which was accommodated at a reasonable charge (255 or the room for an extension from noon to 7pm) - and were moved to Kuning Villa for the duration of our extension. Both were very special and being able to stay in and around one of the villas before leaving for the airport removed any sense of hanging around for our flight, and really made finishing up our holiday a delight.

The resort is a little slicker than when we came 2 years ago: The restaurant facilities far better, the introduction of a massage spa very welcome (and I highly recommend the "Duo Synchronised" massage with two masseurs working on you at once! Heaven) and there are more organised activities which even though we did not do them, did offer the flexibility could we have been bothered to move.

We stayed for 2 nights, and could have done a few more with ease. My wife and I find the environment and atmosphere they have created both relaxing, rejuvinating and inspiring at the same time. Love it love it love it - and we will be back.

Room Tip: Padi for views, and pol side access. Kuning for total privacy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A1k
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Decided to visit for lunch whilst driving in the vicinity of Ubud. I had heard that this place was owned by the same people as Green Village and I wanted to see the bamboo construction. When you arrive at Bambu Indah you know you its something special and exotic. The buildings are beautifully contructed and unusual. The view out over the river valley is stunning and the terraced padi fields in the opposite bank are beautiful.
I would defeinitely go back and stay there if I visit Ubud area again.
The food was great too!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cottages at the edge of the property facing over the river.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends