“Gorgeous hotel, I want to come back!”
Review of Kebun Indah

Kebun Indah
Ranked #127 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I previously stayed at the Lily room in Alam Indah, which is probably the more glamorous sister of Kebun Indah, but for the price that paid for the Sandat room and the lovely views I got, I felt it was worth the money.

Sandat is the farthest room from the hotel and the closest to the pool. The pool isn't as lovely as the one in Alam Indah, so I only swam in it once.

Kebun Indah is on a nice little strip close to the ARMA Museum but the hotel is far away from the noise from the street. At night time, all I heard was the sounds of the insects chirping, the waters of the river rushing down and one night, the sounds of gamelan music from the nearby temple. The staff were amazing, when my friend and I were intrigued by the music and we asked the friendly staff where it was coming from, they gave us directions to get to the temple. Note: when you're visiting the temples, please bring a sarong and long sleeved shirt. Needless to say, that was one of the highlights of our trip.

I'd say the staff at Kebun Indah were warmer and personable. They really care about your safety too. It was nearly midnight when I came back to the hotel and security was waiting for me outside my verandah to ensure I was still alive.

Breakfast and tea was great, especially when dining in the privacy of your own verandah. Ahh, bliss. I especially liked the chocolate and ginger cake they served during tea time. I think it's only served in the Alam hotels because when I went to Cafe Wayan (owned by the same family), they didn't have it there.

Only complaint I have was the room was quite hot during the night. But that was fixed when I opened the windows and used the mosquito net. The bathroom was very nice and clean too.

Can't wait to come back to Kebun Indah!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank nivhana

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We recently booked to stay 5 nights at Kebun Indah, the only room being available was Kodok 1 at $30 a night. We decided to take it based on the fact that we had previous experience with Shanti & Jiwa and the reviews seemed favorable. We were a bit concerned that these lodgings didn't offer AC but decided to take a punt.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the wonderful staff of this hotel with impeccable hospitality, but felt apprehension when shown to our room.
Pros... Lovely setting,beautiful gardens, WIFI available in this room as it's very close to reception. Swimming pool lovely and very quaint. Lovely breakfast & delicious signature Alam afternoon tea.
Cons.. 2 ceiling fans not really cooling..1 pedestal fan...if not for this we wouldn't have got through the night... Lots of mozzies, no bar fridge, so we couldnt have cold water, ( however as we had soft drinks they offered to keep it in their kitchen fridge) outdoor shower very mossy/moldy. Indoor shower... Nozzle head broken and the first shower was cold. They forgot to turn the hot water on. Musty smelling pillows.
We decided to try out a night and make a decision the next day. We had no sleep, got eaten alive with mozzies, ( too hot to use the mozzie net) and the matress being foam only made the sleep hotter.
We contacted the lovely hotel bookings the next morning to explain our predicament and find another room in one of their other hotels, but they were all fully booked. They were extremely apologetic for our uncomfortable night...no fault of theirs really, it was budget accom. They offered to relocate us to 1 of 3 other unrelated hotels if it was suitable. They phoned and booked us in and even sent one of their shuttle cars to pick us up and transfer us to another hotel. We were gobsmacked! This is 5 star service in a 2 star accommodation. We cannot recommend the ALAM group more highly. Sadly we couldn't enjoy their service in another of their higher quality boutique hotels, but the hotel they moved us too was very comfortable, clean and above all had AC! And a wonderful pool and service to match...more on Saren Indah in my next review!

Room Tip: I am unsure if the other rooms offer a bar fridge...they appear to be larger and have a nice outlook...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank larose
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have a hard time imagining that there's a better mid-range hotel in Bali for many reasons, but to list a few:

- Quiet: The cottages that make up Kebun Indah are set off the road and behind a small rice paddy, so you don't hear the incessant buzz of moped traffic. However, it's still in easy walking distance to restaurants and the monkey forest.
- Clean: I stayed in one of the newer rooms, which was immense (king sized bed, day bed and probably room for two more cots) and meticulously maintained. The inside was spartan, but it had a few pieces of Balinese art that were nice. The bathroom was also swept and mopped everyday. The room had an AC, which was great. The heat and humidity in Bali was unreal.
- Details: Breakfast was included in the rate. You order at the desk and ten minutes later, a gigantic meal is brought to your private patio by a smiling woman. I felt like a princess. At dusk, they will also light a couple of incense coils at your front door, which I loved. Hard to enjoy a sunset when you're being eaten alive.

I had Kebun arrange the airport pick up for a competitive $25 and was glad I did. Traffic and road conditions in Denpasar and Ubud weren't great. I liked my driver so much that I hired him on to do a day tour of western Bali.

Finally, book ahead. I booked almost a month in advance and got the last room.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank AppleBiter
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My family stayed at kebun indah for five nights, but we could have stayed for about a month! When we entered the hotel, we had a quick look at the souvenir shop at the front until we were shown our rooms, kondok 1 & 2. They were really nice, with beautiful bathrooms that had pavings in the shower. The beds were very cozy, with mozzie nets offered and the room had some beautiful balinese architecture. Kondok 2 had a day bed and a pretty little garden. Breakfast was included and we ate it outside everyday, in peaceful tranquility by the rice paddies. The breakfast itself had a great variety of options, including a delicious black rice pudding and a banana jaffle with honey seeping out. Afternoon tea daily was also included which consisted of tea, coffee and cake. The pool was nice, a bit too shady but still relaxing and there were many activities you could do at the hotel, including basket weaving which my sister and i did with the lovely Wayan helping us. The staff service and friendliness was all to an exceptional standard. For 25 dollars a night per room, you get way more than you pay for! Stay here!

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Anna-bina
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed in the Kodok 2 room - it was absolutely perfect. Very clean, lovely decor, spacious and reasonably priced. The staff are fantastic - very friendly and helful. The breakfast is amazing and the tea and cakes in the afternoon was a great treat. I would definitely recommend this place. We stayed here a week and loved every minute of it. The hotel is a little oasis and was a highlight of our trip to Indonesia.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wendy2223
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I really wasn't expecting this Hotel. It was built by a local Artist, and couldn't have been more beautiful. It is tucked away from the street traffic. Lush tropical surroundings, and loads of nature. The rooms are all different - go to thier website for photos of them. Much of the staff has been around for many years, and all of the guests we spoke to had been there before - multiple times. We heard of one guest who has reserved a room for 10 years in advance. It's that kind of place. Breakfast is served on your terrace or balcony with views of the Rice Fields and Great pool area. This property does not have Air Conditioning, but the company has 3 other similar properties that do. This hotel is in the foothills, so less humid. We were fortunate to have a couple of small Gecko Lizards in the bathroom - so no bugs. Expect a cottage experience unlike any hotel you have visited. Good food and shopping in the area, and cultural dances nearby.

Room Tip: There are only 6 rooms - so book it when you can get it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MGMTraveler
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed at Kebun Indah as part of a personal Yoga retreat. I had researched on Trip Advisor andfound the other hotels of Alam Indah group were booked. As it turned out Kebun Indah was perfectly located for me, just a couple of hundred metres walk to the Yoga Barn and with many good restaurants within metres. The accommodation itself is tucked away behind the noise and bustle of the street through a rice paddy lined walkway to an oasis of peaceful serenity. I stayed in Kodok 2 and had a very large room and bathroom and my own little garden to sit and look out upon or snooze on the daybed. Tea/coffee and cake were served to me anytime of the day i requested and the breakfasts were more than i could eat and all delicious, delivered to my own private patio. Fresh flowers were arranged and brought to my room daily as well as room servicing and laundry - all this for $30 a night! Oh and any time i wanted a lift (anywhere) i just had to let the office know or call in to one their restaurants and they would call a driver or take me home on a scooter - no taxi's ever, it was like having my own personal chauffeur on call! By the way, I had the best meal and saw the best show ever in Bali at their Laka Leke restaurant, so would highly recommend that too.
kebun Indah is not 5 star, and it's a bit worn around the edges and the pool tiles could do with a good scrub, but the service is impeccable and this is a traditional Balinese homestay at it's best and represents excellent value for money. I would not hesitate to to try another of their properties in the group.

Room Tip: Kodok 2 has a lovely private garden adjoining it as well as a daybed on the verandah.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo