“a slice of tranquility”
Review of Kebun Indah

Kebun Indah
Ranked #126 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 15 May 2012

A quaint little place tucked away in a quiet corner of Ubud, Kebun Indah is the place for you if you are looking to stay somewhere different from the usual run-of-the-mill hotel chains. I stayed at Kodok I, the smallest room I believe but the room was far from small! The bathroom was huge with both a bathtub and an outdoor shower. Ubud is a quiet little place and Kebun Indah is even more quieter - so if you are one who can't be without your TV or air-conditioning, I won't recommend you staying here.

However, if you are one who enjoys calm mornings and quiet evenings listening to frogs "singing" in the nearby paddy field and admiring the stars in the clear night sky, the rustic charm of Kebun Indah will win you over.

Like a previous reviewer pointed out, there is something magical about the place, despite the maintenance of the place which was sadly lacking.

My only regret was staying only one night there. Would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Bali.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kakciklawa

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We were travelling in a big group of 9, thus we have taken room Padi, Kodok 1 and 2. I was staying in Padi which is the big room for 4, and it's consisting of 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms which can actually stay more than 4 person! The room is really spacious, with an open air bathroom, where you can probably soak in the bathtub and stare at the starry starry night :) There are daybeds inside and outside the room, where you can always rest on it. The surrounding environment is good, staffs are very friendly and helpful. The only flaw that I would comment is the stay would be perfect if they can add more fans in the room. The room was a bit hot. Overall, value for money and worth a try.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank pigbit
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We has just returned from a 6 week stay at the Kebun Indah, and would happily go straight back for another 6 weeks!
We did stay in some other hotels in the same price range in Bali during our trip but I've forgotten them already. You wont forget your stay at the Kebun Indah, we saw a guest nearly in tears at having to leave after only 3 nights stay!
So what is it that makes it special? well of course the staff, such a kind and caring, gentle group of people always smiling always ready to help if they can. What else? I don't know, it's not the fanciest or in the best location and the maintainence of the property is shocking. So it must be the magic. Whatever it is I would never stay any where else BUT take this tip the more you pay the better it gets (we had the most expensive room at $50) and book in advance we booked 6 months in advance and only just got the room we wanted.
If only they would put small fridges in the rooms then it would really be Nirvana.

Room Tip: Buy the rooms overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zillam321
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is the first time I have stayed at Kebun Indah here in Ubud. We are in the Padi House, upstairs, with two bedrooms. The decor is totally traditional and consequently, enhances the Balinese experience and ambience of this centrally located hotel. The alang alang and bamboo soaring roof compliments the natural environment allowing many little creatures to join us in our stay here. Although there is no air conditioning, the fan has provided ample relief.
We love the spacious, thoughtfully equipped rooms as we are able to relax on the many days beds, work at a desk, or lie on the mosquito netted beds, it seems the owners here have thought of everything. Breakfast was a special treat and the options included coconut style pancakes, jaffles, Bali traditional breakfast and all sorts of tempting treats. The pool is very refreshing, could do with cleaning around the tiles though, but overall, no complaints. Staff are very helpful providing mosquito coils every night. Certainly would stay here again, the relaxed atmosphere has won us all over.

Room Tip: Padi Room would be great for a family, easy to accommodate four people.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tinaross
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I previously stayed at the Lily room in Alam Indah, which is probably the more glamorous sister of Kebun Indah, but for the price that paid for the Sandat room and the lovely views I got, I felt it was worth the money.

Sandat is the farthest room from the hotel and the closest to the pool. The pool isn't as lovely as the one in Alam Indah, so I only swam in it once.

Kebun Indah is on a nice little strip close to the ARMA Museum but the hotel is far away from the noise from the street. At night time, all I heard was the sounds of the insects chirping, the waters of the river rushing down and one night, the sounds of gamelan music from the nearby temple. The staff were amazing, when my friend and I were intrigued by the music and we asked the friendly staff where it was coming from, they gave us directions to get to the temple. Note: when you're visiting the temples, please bring a sarong and long sleeved shirt. Needless to say, that was one of the highlights of our trip.

I'd say the staff at Kebun Indah were warmer and personable. They really care about your safety too. It was nearly midnight when I came back to the hotel and security was waiting for me outside my verandah to ensure I was still alive.

Breakfast and tea was great, especially when dining in the privacy of your own verandah. Ahh, bliss. I especially liked the chocolate and ginger cake they served during tea time. I think it's only served in the Alam hotels because when I went to Cafe Wayan (owned by the same family), they didn't have it there.

Only complaint I have was the room was quite hot during the night. But that was fixed when I opened the windows and used the mosquito net. The bathroom was very nice and clean too.

Can't wait to come back to Kebun Indah!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank nivhana
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We recently booked to stay 5 nights at Kebun Indah, the only room being available was Kodok 1 at $30 a night. We decided to take it based on the fact that we had previous experience with Shanti & Jiwa and the reviews seemed favorable. We were a bit concerned that these lodgings didn't offer AC but decided to take a punt.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the wonderful staff of this hotel with impeccable hospitality, but felt apprehension when shown to our room.
Pros... Lovely setting,beautiful gardens, WIFI available in this room as it's very close to reception. Swimming pool lovely and very quaint. Lovely breakfast & delicious signature Alam afternoon tea.
Cons.. 2 ceiling fans not really cooling..1 pedestal fan...if not for this we wouldn't have got through the night... Lots of mozzies, no bar fridge, so we couldnt have cold water, ( however as we had soft drinks they offered to keep it in their kitchen fridge) outdoor shower very mossy/moldy. Indoor shower... Nozzle head broken and the first shower was cold. They forgot to turn the hot water on. Musty smelling pillows.
We decided to try out a night and make a decision the next day. We had no sleep, got eaten alive with mozzies, ( too hot to use the mozzie net) and the matress being foam only made the sleep hotter.
We contacted the lovely hotel bookings the next morning to explain our predicament and find another room in one of their other hotels, but they were all fully booked. They were extremely apologetic for our uncomfortable night...no fault of theirs really, it was budget accom. They offered to relocate us to 1 of 3 other unrelated hotels if it was suitable. They phoned and booked us in and even sent one of their shuttle cars to pick us up and transfer us to another hotel. We were gobsmacked! This is 5 star service in a 2 star accommodation. We cannot recommend the ALAM group more highly. Sadly we couldn't enjoy their service in another of their higher quality boutique hotels, but the hotel they moved us too was very comfortable, clean and above all had AC! And a wonderful pool and service to match...more on Saren Indah in my next review!

Room Tip: I am unsure if the other rooms offer a bar fridge...they appear to be larger and have a nice outlook...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank larose
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have a hard time imagining that there's a better mid-range hotel in Bali for many reasons, but to list a few:

- Quiet: The cottages that make up Kebun Indah are set off the road and behind a small rice paddy, so you don't hear the incessant buzz of moped traffic. However, it's still in easy walking distance to restaurants and the monkey forest.
- Clean: I stayed in one of the newer rooms, which was immense (king sized bed, day bed and probably room for two more cots) and meticulously maintained. The inside was spartan, but it had a few pieces of Balinese art that were nice. The bathroom was also swept and mopped everyday. The room had an AC, which was great. The heat and humidity in Bali was unreal.
- Details: Breakfast was included in the rate. You order at the desk and ten minutes later, a gigantic meal is brought to your private patio by a smiling woman. I felt like a princess. At dusk, they will also light a couple of incense coils at your front door, which I loved. Hard to enjoy a sunset when you're being eaten alive.

I had Kebun arrange the airport pick up for a competitive $25 and was glad I did. Traffic and road conditions in Denpasar and Ubud weren't great. I liked my driver so much that I hired him on to do a day tour of western Bali.

Finally, book ahead. I booked almost a month in advance and got the last room.

• Stayed: February 2012