“Very Peaceful Accommodation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kebun Indah

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Kebun Indah
Ranked #111 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Australia
“Very Peaceful Accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

Kebun Indah is tucked away off the road and access is via a path. There is a choice of bungalows to choose from, the closest and cheapest to the street being
Kodok 1 and Kodok 2. The other rooms are positioned down stairs with the last one overlooking the pool. We we staying in Kodok 1 which has one double and one single bed with mosquito nets. There is no fridge or jug but afternoon tea is served each afternoon and includes, tea, coffee and cake straight from Cafe Wayan Bakery. Our room has a roomy patio, 2 ceiling fans, desk, bedside tables and a separate door leading to a semi open bathroom. Only the shower is 'open'. There is also a large bath tub with a hand held shower as well. The lighting in the room is rather dim and there are signs that some fresh paint etc would be of benefit.
The atmosphere at Kebun Indah is very relaxed, with helpful staff, peaceful setting and a good choice for those wanting budget basic accommodation. A car is provided to drop off and pick up guests from the local Ubud area. Sometimes there is a wait of approximately 10 minutes depending on how busy it is. You can participate in some activities at Laka Leke such as balinese dance lessons, making offerings, and there are cooking classes on offer. Laka Leke also have balinese dance shows which you can enjoy while eating dinner or pay 25,000rp per person just to enjoy the dancing.
There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance and a new convenience store is almost finished being constructed next door. There is a computer for guests use in the lobby and free wifi.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

Our experience in Kebun Indah was very pleasant. All they promise is true and it is a great value for your money. Their breakfast is easily the best we tried during our one-month trip through Indonesia. Yet, after staying in its "sibling" Alam Jiwa, we noticed a certain abandonement in Kebun Inda regarding little details (walls, pool) and especially management. We got the jmpression that perhaps Kebun Indah stands now in the shafow of the "younger" and hipper siblings, Alam Shanti and Alam Jiwa. Hopefully they will upgrade service and all standards to the newest they have, because then it will be simply heavenly.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Luicy P
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

Kebun Indah was the third of three places I stayed in Ubud and it's true when they say
save the best for last'.

To give a clear picture of my stay, I should say from the start that my first hotel was De Munut Cottages (Deluxe room, two nights) and my second was Greenfield Bungalows (standard room, three nights).

I had the Kodok I room at Kebun Indah, which is the most basic on the property. But even though I was paying $US25 a night, I was treated like a queen by the fantastic staff.

The property: Set back from the southern end of Hanoman Street, Kebun Indah isn't as close to the motorbikes as other hotels, although the staff are up sweeping at 6.30am, so there is a bit of morning noise. The entrance leads into the Kodok rooms, with the property cascading towards the jungle and rice paddies and the swimming pool at the back. The pool isn't as nice as the one at Greenfield, but I mostly had it to myself and there are lovely flowers and butterflies to admire. The property is kept spotlessly clean and there is a small library/reading nook between the Kodok rooms. There is no restaurant as breakfast and afternoon tea are served on your verandah.

The room: Kodok I is the entry-level room at Kebun Indah, but it was spacious and more than adequate for my needs. The room is decorated in traditional Balinese style - wooden queen bed, single day bed, writing desk, two ceiling fans and the best bathroom of the trip (including the four-star resort in Legian I stayed). The bathroom has a wash basin area, a separate bath/shower area that is massive and then an outdoor shower and toilet. It was spotlessly clean and towels were always fresh, even if they weren't fluffy (but hey, it's $25 a night!). The room has traditional Balinese doors and while it's tempting to leave your room unlocked (it's just that sort of place that feels more like a homestay than a hotel), the staff recommend padlocking your door at night when you go out.

The service: The staff always had a smile and are happy to ride you into town on a motorbike whenever you want: I had an 8am cooking class at Casa Luna, at the other end of town, and they had no problem taking me at 7.45am, when they are usually busy with breakfasts and housekeeping. Ditto at 6.30pm when I had tickets to the Legong dancing and couldn't face the 30-35 minute walk to the palace. Breakfast is a set menu but more generous than places of a similar standard. Choices included eggs, fruit, pastries (from the Cafe Wayan which has the same owners), jaffles, burbur (Indonesian rice porridge breakfast) and black rice pudding (order a day in advance). If you are around in the late afternoon, the staff are happy to bring you a tray of tea and cake while you read or rest.

I have read many posts about some hotels rounding up the exchange rate when their rates are quoted in USD but charged in rupiah. I am happy to say that when my bill came at Kebun Indah, I was charged 9000 to the USD even though most money changers in town were offering 9150. It confirmed to me the staff at Kebun Indah and the Alam Indah properties are honest people who value repeat business and word of mouth.

One more thing - if you tire from the walk into Ubud and don't want to battle with the touts for a ride home, stagger to Cafe Wayan and the staff will arrange transport back to Kebun Indah free of charge - just tell them you are a house guest.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Melissa S
Solo, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

Kebun Indah was not my first choice to stay at during my vacation with my boyfriend this May. We planned to stay at Tegalsari, but they were fully occupied during the month so we stayed at Kebun Indah instead. We got Cempaka room and were happy to spend $40 per night. The room is clean, bathroom is spacious, and the balcony offers more...a dining table, a day bed with pillows and bolsters, and the fantastic view: swimming pool, rice field, and coconut trees! The staffs were very friendly and helpful. They treated us like family. One of the staffs even helped us a lot in almost everything, from breakfast to car rental. Internet can be accessed though a laptop provided in the reception area, and it's free. Food was very good, and we got a basket full of tropical fruit at arrival. Breakfast was served in our room each morning, and we got to order it the night before. We may also choose the time, the earliest was 7 o'clock and the latest was 10 o'clock. We were very happy to stay there, and now it becomes my first choice to stay at in Ubud. We will stay there again for sure, and will not want to stay in any other place. Kebun Indah is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Cherokee, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2010

I'm and family stay at kebun Indah Villa for one week and enjoy our vacation at Ubud and also we travel arround bali tourist destination easy from there. We got breakfast fresh everyday nice warm service from local employee. The only think that I'm sad for is how they welcome me when we arrive. My wife is American citizens and I'm native Balinese,first they think I was the driver than I said I need to check in and theysaid all Villa fully book, then I mention it again I just in conversation through phone with their reservation operator that I have the Villa Padi and kodok reserve one year in advance.

Other than that everything good and excellent service.

Not forget to mention this was July 2009. And also they have good security that arround all the time make me fill real safe to not lock my room and my stuff everywhere aoutside the room in the living area (openview).

One more thing. You have to give the tip in person, if you just put it on the table after breakfast most the time they will not take it because they afraid and shy. Just come to the kitchen and give them and tell them to share it.usually I give them Rp20000-40000 depent with how many person serve the breakfast in US dollar is about $2-4. Also put under the pillow for the housekeeping. They clean every morning and make bed and change the dirty towel with the new one. They also have 2 spa and the price are the best in unusual.

We so lucky that time have to be the first customer for their 3rd spa thy located close to Alam Indah Villa.

Email us at ------ if you have any other question

Sincerely
PUTU & AMBER MENAKA

THE END

• Stayed May 2010
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

We stayed at Kebun Indah in April 2010 for 4 nights with our 2 teenage sons after travelling from Amed.
We stayed in the Sandat and Cempaka rooms (a complete Balinese house) beside the pool. The view from the rooms was picturesque through coconut trees to rice fields.
The rooms were spacious and clean with huge bathrooms and lovely balcony's for relaxing. It was very quiet and relaxing and the staff were fantastic.
Every morning we would have breakfast brought to us on our balcony which was idealic and so relaxing and in the afternoons we had coffee and cake brought to our rooms.
The main shopping area and markets were an easy walk from the hotel with many restaurants to choose from. We also found a great laundry only about 300m walk away (turn left from the hotel on the opposite side of the road) where we got about 30 items washed for 17,000 Rupiah.
If we went to Bali again, we would only go to Ubud as it is so much more relaxing than Kuta. While in Ubud, we went to Mount Batur where we biked downhill with Bali eco through rice fields and back roads and local villages back to Ubud.This was fantastic and one of our best experiences in Bali. The quality of shopping and souvenirs in Ubud was way better than in Kuta.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank 4kiwis2010
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

My wife kept putting off making room reservations for Bali because she had read that you could deal if you waited until you arrived. True but I didn't want to go from place to place looking at rooms and wasting time that could be sent on sigtseeing, etc. So about a week before we left California I started trying to make reservations but everything we had bookmarked was taken.

I had seen the www.alamindahbali.com website and contected them but all of their rooms we had looked at were gone. They referred me to the Kabun Indah, also on their website but which I had overlooked and ended up contacting them by e-mail from Le Meridian Nirwana Spa in Bali where we spent the first 2 nights. We went out that night and by the time we returned the 3 nights we had asked for were only available for 2 nights but we took them. We were put in the closest room to the reception area; Kodok 1. The room was somewhat plain but very acceptable at $35/nite. Little did we realize that it came with a welcoming drink (see photo), free wifi (just don't stray more than about 5' from the reception area), free breafast, free afternoon tea and snack, free transportaion into town (about 1 1/2 miles away and pick-up), and an incredible staff. As noted by another there was a slight problem with cleanliness; animal dropping (she said bat, I thought rat) and some dust in some areas as well as a great deal of mold or algae in the outdoor shower. Not enough to be offputting but noteable. However, read on.

As we were checking out after the second night the staff member mentioned that due to a cancellation they had 2 more nights available but we would have to switch rooms. Big deal; besides the new room was right next to the pool and at $50/nite still an incredible bargain.

We were put in the Sandat room which again while somewhat plain as far as decor went was beautiful. The view over the jungle, the pool and the small gazebo by the pool was incredible. The bathtub was huge; both deep and long and all marble with views out over the jungle and rice fields. We shared a kitchen with the room above but never saw anyone; used the refrigerator mainly.

Breakfast was served every morning when you wanted it and while relatively small by American standards, delicious; try the ginger tea and the black rice pudding. The latter is a Balinese standard.

I cannot say enough for either the staff, all of whom were most helpful and extremely friendly, especially Wyan. Also the staff of the gift shop and spa in front of the Kebun Inda where you check in was very friendly and helpful. My wife went for daily spa treatments and said she had never had better massages; all for $12.50 US. They or the cottage staff can arrange for tours, spa treatments or anything else you might ask for.
While they didn't have a busines center, they had a fax, phone, and the free wifi which they were more than happy to let you us or do for you.

W also happened to be there during a particularly significant religious event and offererings to the gods were everywhere within the property and on our room steps.

If you stay, don't forget the tip box. It is hidden away in the back corner of the reception araea. The staff deserves it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Puri Garden Hotel & Restaurant
#78 of 193 in Ubud
Rama Phala Resort & Spa
Rama Phala Resort & Spa
#6 of 10 in Gianyar

Been to Kebun Indah? Share your experiences!