“A dégustation delight.!”

Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique
Ranked #49 of 731 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$50 - US$150
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Mozaic Restaurant is a fresh oasis of ingenuity in the world of gastronomy. It is the uniqueness of the experience that has become the hallmark of its reputation, encompassing the quality of the ingredients, the perfect execution, the sheer multitude of flavours and the quality of the service, all to be enjoyed in a lush tropical setting. Mozaic's ever-changing menu consists of a la minute creations which evolve, disappear and return in accordance with market availability. Chef Salans and his chef de cuisine prepare what inspires them in the moment, orchestrating their tasting menus like a symphony, a sequence of marvelous colours and flavours served by knowledgeable waiting staff before the sommelier indulges guests with his expertly paired wines. Mozaic is a true gustatory adventure, a dining experience as yet unrivaled in Bali. Awards: 1. Les Grandes Tables Du Monde Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique, is the first restaurant in Southeast Asia to be recognized by the prestigious Traditions et Qualite association as a member of ‘Les Grandes Tables Du Monde’ (The Grand Tables of the World), joining an exclusive membership including world most famous restaurants such as Lucas Carton (Alain Senderens), Le Louis XV and Plaza Athenee (Alain Ducasse), Guy Savoy (Guy Savoy) and The French Laundry (Thomas A Keller). 2. Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2016 Wine Spectator’s Restaurant Awards recognize restaurants whose wine lists offer interesting selections, are appropriate to their cuisine and appeal to a wide range of wine lovers. To qualify for an award, the list must present complete, accurate wine information. It must include vintages and appellations for all selections, including wines available by the glass. Complete producer names and correct spellings are crucial, and the overall presentation and appearance of the list is also taken into consideration. After meeting these basic requirements, lists are judged for one of the awards. 3. World Gourmet Summit 2015 MARTELL Asian Restaurant of the Year (Regional) This award seeks to recognize a restaurant / restaurant chain which serves Asian cuisine and promotes culinary and service excellence in the region. Eligible restaurants must have been in operation for two or more years (at the point of nomination). The nominated restaurant must have consistently exceeded the standards of excellence and provided extraordinary dining experiences for guests.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 4,081 helpful votes
“A dégustation delight.!”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

After reading all the fabulous reviews on TA we decided to give this restaurant a go.

Arrival - Arriving by taxi was interesting as security was thick & we were checked via a screen which was totally okay by us.

Venue - Looks like a normal house from the outside & not that impressive. The decor inside is very modern & chic.

There is an inside dining room, outdoor setting & the Mosaic Lounge offering tasting and tapas menus.

The best option is outside, We booked on the day & evidently all tables were reserved regarding an outdoor table. However; after our entrée we were taken to an outside table which was lovely regarding enjoying a romantic atmosphere.

Food - There are numerous options regarding which creative four to six course tasting menus you want . Discovery Menu / Chef’s Tasting Menu / Surprise Menu / Vegetarian Menu & the Tapas Menu.

We opted for the Chef’s Discovery Menu. This menu features the chef's local signature dishes with fresh ingredients from the market.

It was absolutely delicious & one of our best meals ever. !!

Overall: If in Ubud with money to burn & love food this restaurant is a must do. However; be warned its not cheap.

• Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
Lennox Head, Australia
“Mehhhh.....”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I suspect if you are already thinking of visiting Mozaic this review will not affect your decision. Others seem to have had much better meals so perhaps it was a bad night. High expectations of a place often lead to a more disappointing feeling when you do not enjoy the experience... First, the positives. Staff, lovely attentive, as they are in all the restaurants we ate at in Ubud. I liked the decor and the outdoor dining feel. The cocktails on arrival were superb. We chose the chef's menu. I would recommend choosing the more standard menus as this was a disaster. Some of the dishes were "OK", the wine pairing (premium) was OK (glass of french champagne was lovely but the rest of the wines were patchy). The food was mixed. One of the truffle dishes had no discernable truffle taste. Another dish had three "tastes' of foie gras, none of them were particularly good, and the dish was very rich. The worst dish involved fatty sweetbreads (which I normally love - I could not eat these), cinnamon flavour crusted ginger other spices with orange and beetroot, tough veal, completely discordant and strong flavours (especially the cinnamon). Another truly awful dish was the chocolate with pepper and pepper cilantro with pepper foam and a nut wedge. The waitress replaced this with another tear-inducing dish of ginger sorbet with cilantro and strawberry. Flavours did not work together and seemed "clever for clever's sake". To the restaurant's credit they have asked for my feedback due to my unfavourable feedback form. Their response often seems to be that they are in the Miele Guide. My husband and I have eaten at 4 out of the top 20 Miele guide restaurants and our experience of these has been patchy at best. I would say to Miele stick to making whitegoods (except I am just about to go wash some dishes my dishwasher didn't clean properly, guess what brand it is?)

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank JannyMouse
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, good food but could do better.”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My wife and I ate at Mozaic whilst in Bali on honeymoon. We are both chefs and love eating different foods all over the world. Having booked at quite short notice, we were given the option of a very late table or a very early table, we chose the latter. We arrived and were sat in the plush surroundings of the bar area. The decor would not have looked out of place in London or New York. In Ubud however....
We ordered some drinks, a glass of Champagne for my wife and a vodka Martini for myself, both of which were very good and arrived with some delicious little snacks and the menus. We decided to go with the tasting menu that, as the hostess explained, each course highlighted a different Balinese ingredient or cooking technique. We also decided to have the premium wine pairing to go with this.
We were led to our table that was in the empty covered part of the restaurant rather than the busy open air part. We asked our waitress if we could move and she very politely told us that it would be possible after we had eaten a couple of courses, which we were happy to do.
We were both very excited about the food we were about to taste as our waitress brought out a platter to showcase some of the local ingredients that would feature in each of our dishes in thier raw form. Jackfruit, tamarind, coconut and other tropical ingredients.
I have to say that after the first few courses we were a little dissapointed. We really wanted to experience something a bit different but it seemed like any other modern French restaurant anywhere else in the world. The only difference was that there seemed to be more tropical ingredients involved and I'm sad to say that in most cases, the "local" ingredients seemed to be an add on to an already complete dish, and in some cases a little carelessly added. More French food with a local garnish rather than a true fusion of flavours and techniques.
The "premium" wine pairings that went with the food were also a bit of a let down. My wife is from South Africa and has a diploma from the Cape wine acadamy. The South African wines on the list were by no means "premium". I am very aware of the logistics of procuring and storing wines in the tropics having lived and worked in East Africa for the last 6 years, but the prices at Mozaic are comparable to high end restaurants in cities all over the world, so in my opinion they need to up the quality or lower the price
All in all I am glad we went to Mozaic, the service and atmosphere wer excellent but the food, although well cooked, lacked imagination and execution, which could be excused because of the location, but the prices at Mozaic are by no means comparable locally.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Richie2579
Cancun
“Superb!!!”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I got out of the restaurant totally stuffed but I had one of the best dinners in my life! We ordered degustation menu and every single plate was to die for. Would go here again the next time I visit Bali.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Isis M
Mexico City, Mexico
“Very Good, Expensive for the Area!!”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We went for Dinner to Mozaic and had a very nice Degustation Menu, I found it very good, the atmosphere in the restaurant is very calm. After dinner we moved to the bar upstairs and had a couple of drinks and the live music was awesome, we had a very nice and romantic time with the guitar duet playing spanish gipsy music.

• Visited September 2012