“A shame”

Puri Garden Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #162 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This place has a few positives which are worth a mention. In particular, the garden area is quite nice - sort of Balinese quaint, the girls on the desk always seemed lovely and very polite although they had very little English between them and the view from my room onto the back of the property onto a paddy field was a good one.

The only notable minor negatives would be stained bed linen and towels which could do with replacing and below average breakfasts.

This place would have probably got 3 stars from me if this were the full story.

Unfortunately, I've taken to writing this review and feel I have to give it a 'terrible' because I had an especially bad experience of this place that goes far beyond the quality of the bed linen...

After a long flight, the first problem was that the airport transfer that had been confirmed did not show up when I arrived at Bali airport. Having managed to call the hotel I originally had a failed conversation with a member of staff who couldn't speak any English and then finally was put onto someone who did. It turned out their driver was on holiday - nice of them to have let me know in advance! So I had to get another cab from the airport.

When I arrived, quite dazed, exhausted and still acclimatising to being in Bali I was pounced on by a porter who against my will insisted in taking my bag a very short distance to my room. Having done so he strongly hinted for a tip so I just took the first note from my wallet and handed it over. He took it and as he left he laughed and muttered something to a boy who was clearly a helper in the hotel. Unfamiliar with the currency, I took stock and realised I had given him a very poor tip and felt a bit bad but his insistence on carrying my bag, the short distance involved and his subsequent reaction certainly took the edge off my guilt.

The next day I had a couple of bizarre moments where there was a knock on my door from the same porter who looked surprised when I opened it and then had said he was just checking that I was enjoying my stay. Attentive service is nice but this was a bit strange.

I only mention the above episodes, which would otherwise be fairly insignificant, because in piecing everything together and by process of elimination I've come to the conclusion that my poor tip, and maybe the sense that as a lone traveller I might have been an 'easy target' is what led about half of the currency I had stashed in my bag (there was no safe in the room) to go missing. This added up to a lot of money.

I only noticed what I had lost when I got to my next place in another part of Bali and I retraced my steps and thought through every possible explanation for the loss - errors on my part and other opportunities for it to have been lost/ taken. I was upset to have to face that it went missing when I was out on my last evening out of my room at Puri Garden.

I doubt the owner of the hotel had anything to do with this - I'm sure it was a single rogue member of staff. Having been constantly impressed with the hospitality and politeness from pretty much everyone in Ubud, it's a shame to have had this experience slightly taint that perception. Here as much as anywhere, I'd urge all travellers to be careful to keep their possessions as secure as possible.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank foxmore2

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Last month I was on a holiday with my friends and my friend has booked the place. I had no idea how the place could before I reached there. But this place took me by surprise. We stayed here for 4 nights. Its a beautiful place with a typical Balinese style rooms . The staffs are very friendly. .:) Its a great value for money. .!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Devendran_Jaganathan
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I used this hotel to hold cultural event in Bali with 36 Koreans. I reserved this hotel for 4 days after I researched fully about the hotels in Bali.

The first reason of choosing here is that Ubud is the most cultural area of Bali and this hotel located in the good place to go around there. Nearby there, there's a monkey forest that is famous for tourists also.

The second reason is the quality of the hotel. It is high qualified hotel as it is the best rated hotel of trip advisor. As I checked the homepage, I could see their facilities indirectly. And the real view of there was more than expected. The rooms were clean, foods and drinks are valued and swimming pool was so clean and has comfortable beach chairs there.

The last thing is the kindness of the staffs. I could feel real Balinese people's kindness and their characters there. Everything was so peaceful and the air made us happy all the time. It is the best moment that I ever stay in hotel.

Room Tip: There's Balinese style rooms and modern style rooms. Both of them were so nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KimSeungHyun
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at Puri Garden for two months while studying yoga at the Barn. I did a lot of research before I arrived, in hopes to find the perfect hotel that offered a pool, private balcony, AC, queen bed, gardens in a quiet setting, friendly staff, clean, complimentary breakfast, etc. This is certainly the place! I absolutely loved my time there! In addition to all that it has to offer, it's extremely affordable and the owner is willing to compromise price for an extended stay. I'm convinced that it's Ubud's best hotel deal and the location is ideal - in the heart of Ubud but set back off the street so you feel safe and secluded. I will say that the restaurant food is only so-so and the pool is not pristine - but that didn't bother me at all having grown up swimming in ponds. It is a very lovely and natural pool with clean and comfortable lounge chairs. Extraordinarily beautiful hotel with wonderful staff!

Room Tip: Second story rooms with balcony are absolutely lovely!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank emilygood
Reviewed 26 March 2013

So many years I come to Bali and stay in hotel Puri Garden. The addomodation in typical Balinese stile give me the feeling of holiday. The new rooms with sight on the rice fields are fantastic! The food also is very tastefull. Tou should try "Nasi Campur", this is my favorite in the restaurant. They also have different tastefull cocktails, international and local. All this together made my stay in the hotel Puri Garden an exclusive holiday. It is really a beautifull garden!!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice. Sometimes the A/C is a little noisy but I slept very well. The nchoiise is yours...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

We booked last minute and were very happy with the value for money. From the moment you arrive you are made welcome. The rooms have a nice charm to them as well as the resort. Any small problems were attended to immediately and they were always willing to help. They recommended a great tour which was the best thing we did whilst in Bali. There were a few electricity problems where the power tripped several times however this was always attended to immediately. Would definitely be back, obviously not as luxurious as more expensive places but nice for a change!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank samk645
Reviewed 16 March 2013

first time stay at puri garden hotel and restaurant.from the first time you walk in you are greated with very happy and welcoming staff. with loverly presented rooms along with a central pool surrounded by garden you just felt relaxed from day one.had some great meals at the restaurant as well, lucky enough to meet owner and family and along with staff were always willng to help with our daily outings
and if we needed anything. hosts Kok Raka and Cok Sri thank you for a very enjoyable stay .

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends