This place has a few positives which are worth a mention. In particular, the garden area is quite nice - sort of Balinese quaint, the girls on the desk always seemed lovely and very polite although they had very little English between them and the view from my room onto the back of the property onto a paddy field was a good one.
The only notable minor negatives would be stained bed linen and towels which could do with replacing and below average breakfasts.
This place would have probably got 3 stars from me if this were the full story.
Unfortunately, I've taken to writing this review and feel I have to give it a 'terrible' because I had an especially bad experience of this place that goes far beyond the quality of the bed linen...
After a long flight, the first problem was that the airport transfer that had been confirmed did not show up when I arrived at Bali airport. Having managed to call the hotel I originally had a failed conversation with a member of staff who couldn't speak any English and then finally was put onto someone who did. It turned out their driver was on holiday - nice of them to have let me know in advance! So I had to get another cab from the airport.
When I arrived, quite dazed, exhausted and still acclimatising to being in Bali I was pounced on by a porter who against my will insisted in taking my bag a very short distance to my room. Having done so he strongly hinted for a tip so I just took the first note from my wallet and handed it over. He took it and as he left he laughed and muttered something to a boy who was clearly a helper in the hotel. Unfamiliar with the currency, I took stock and realised I had given him a very poor tip and felt a bit bad but his insistence on carrying my bag, the short distance involved and his subsequent reaction certainly took the edge off my guilt.
The next day I had a couple of bizarre moments where there was a knock on my door from the same porter who looked surprised when I opened it and then had said he was just checking that I was enjoying my stay. Attentive service is nice but this was a bit strange.
I only mention the above episodes, which would otherwise be fairly insignificant, because in piecing everything together and by process of elimination I've come to the conclusion that my poor tip, and maybe the sense that as a lone traveller I might have been an 'easy target' is what led about half of the currency I had stashed in my bag (there was no safe in the room) to go missing. This added up to a lot of money.
I only noticed what I had lost when I got to my next place in another part of Bali and I retraced my steps and thought through every possible explanation for the loss - errors on my part and other opportunities for it to have been lost/ taken. I was upset to have to face that it went missing when I was out on my last evening out of my room at Puri Garden.
I doubt the owner of the hotel had anything to do with this - I'm sure it was a single rogue member of staff. Having been constantly impressed with the hospitality and politeness from pretty much everyone in Ubud, it's a shame to have had this experience slightly taint that perception. Here as much as anywhere, I'd urge all travellers to be careful to keep their possessions as secure as possible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Puri Garden Hotel & Hostel is the perfect little getaway for a cultural, relaxing and fun stay in the heart of Bali’s village of Ubud. It is well known for its majestic sceneries, unique culture and tradition. Located on Pengosekan Street, in the foothills of Ubud village, Puri Garden is just 5/10-minute walk from all the main Ubud’s attractions: Arma Museum, Monkey Forest, Yoga Barn, markets, galleries, restaurants and 60 minute drive from Ngurah Rai International Airport. (airport shuttle is available). Our hotel has 23 beautiful rooms offering that authentic Balinese feel with a modern touch. We are currently renovating to ensure you have a satisfying stay with us. If you feel like being more social in your stay, then check out our 4 dorm rooms with 32 beds in total. The tranquil beauty of our garden offers time to relax in our hammocks or lay in the grass next to the beautiful giant Buddha. For a yoga session or even a sneaky cocktail or refreshing Bintang. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Puri Garden Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Puri Garden Hotel And Restaurant
- Hotel Puri Garden
- Puri Garden Hotel & Restaurant Ubud, Bali