“Close to Sleeping in a Zen Garden...”

Puri Garden Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #162 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I traveled to Bali as part of a group and this was my most favorite hotel throughout my entire stay. From the street you wouldn't think of the hotel as much, but it's a different story once you get inside. The front desk is beneath a roof but for the most part is open on all sides. There are orchids hanging over the walkway that separates the reception area from the dining hall. The staff was extremely friendly and helped everyone get checked into their room as seamlessly as possible.

#1 The cutest touch came when I was given my key. They placed it inside of an envelope handwritten with my name that had been stapled with a leaf and beautiful orchid. Clearly someone took the time to make the simple arrangement and staple it to more than ten individual envelopes. I love little touches like that. #2 To get to my room I had to pass a path surrounded by trees and walk next to a beautiful garden pool. Some members of my group quickly dropped off their luggage and went for a dip. #3 I personally loved my room, despite its relatively small size. The furnishings were modern and I felt comfortable for the night. #4 My room overlooked a rice field in the back and I found it incredibly peaceful. At night the moon shone into my room and it couldn't have been anymore soothing. #5 The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary, which in turn is at the start of Monkey Forest Street. Monkey Forest Street is where you can find some pretty cool stores, restaurants, and even good spas or storefronts that offer reasonably priced massages. #6 There are several currency exchanges along the route and their rates were pretty good. In fact, the currency exchange I found there gave me one of the highest rates throughout my stay. #7 I ordered a pineapple pancake for breakfast and although it was delicious, I had to wait quite a while. Just make sure you know that in case you're in a hurry. Fortunately they put it in a box for me to take onto the tour bus when I left. #8 Two sets of women in my group were unfortunate to be placed in a room with a water flood. Management promptly switched them to a dry room. #9 I got to speak with the owner who explained that his son was the one running the place. Is there room for improvement? There always is but I can't think of anything for which I would like to complain. The owner, his son and all of their employees were friendly, kind and extremely helpful. I would absolutely stay at Puri Garden should I ever return to Bali on my own.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank appetite4trvl

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Room/pool/breakfast all quite nice. Currently expanding dining area (probably done now). 20 min walk from main strip of ubud and 10min from busier streets but walk is fine mostly with pavement. Lovely pool. Good wifi.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Loved Puri Gardens, close to all we needed in Ubud, but best of all was the staff, such a friendly helpfull family run hotel, would definitely return again. Pool was awesome, even in the pouring rain. They did anything/everything for us to make our stay perfect.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Really friendly, helpful staff, beautiful rooms, beautiful pool. The shower plumbing needs fixing as the water would go hot, cold, hot, cold but otherwise a very lovely place to stay. Close to the petrol station, close to the monkey forest and plenty of close shops to see, the farthest walk we went on was about 20 mins.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank reddellc
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Lovely place, delicious foods!!!! good service, great staff, nice view, quite enough, we stayed for three days and We both love it. Thank you Mr Cokorda Oka (owner) for the best price! We will come back with another guest for you :)

Room Tip: Upstair rooms are mostly better. Nice view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The location is good. You can walk 5 minutes to large supermarket. Many dinning places locate around the area. It is very close to Monkey Forrest. The hotel is decorated in Balanese style. Impressive. I found that there was a construction site next to the swimming pool but it was not annoying or . The swimming pool is clean. However, it is a bit too dark during the night. So, I suggest the hotel should add more lights at the swimming pool.

Regarding the room. My room is in 2nd floor. I can see rice field and sun rise from my room. The room is quite clean and new. I guess that it must be renovated recently. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Check-in process is pretty slow although there was no guest at the time I checked in. I need to wait at the reception area for 10 minutes!!!

Breakfast is just OK. Nothing is outstanding.

Lastly, I would say I will stay in Puri Garden hotel again and recommend others to stay as well.

Room Tip: Pool view is not a good decision. :)
1  Thank Panachai B
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is like the tenth time I stayed in this hotel. As Ubud frequent visitor I always stay in Puri Garden. The hospitality is exceptional. Staff are helpful anf friendly, the location is perfect. Not too close to the main shopping area so it is quiet but not too far either so I can walk to the shopping arcade. Good value for the money. I assure you will have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2013