“Overrated by LP”

Ranked #127 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Bonn, Germany
“Overrated by LP”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Ubud sure is a nice place to stay for a little while. Sania´s place was both good and bad.

Sure the staff is nice and very patient. They take your wishes seriously and they fulfilled my laundry service in an outstanding manner.
Meals were ok, I had breakfast included but after the third time I really did not enjoy the taste of it anymore. But each to their own.
Rooms were spacious in comparison to other hostels, but so were the prices, too. Clean rooms, nearly no Geckos roaming the walls.

What I totally disliked was the fact that I had to pay 250.000 Rupiah per night (full price) although the place was under construction. Scarfoldings and bricks plus the sound of hammers and hammer swingers etc. I tried to get a cheaper price, but the Sania´s wife was very hard to bargain with, 225.000 was the last price. But sure this place is nice with its tiny swimming pool and its flora.

Before I went there I intended to stay seven nights, I left after three. WLAN and the family dogs were additional reasons. WLAN did not work well in my room, I only had signal at the reception. When returning from the various places in Ubud at night, roaming and barking dogs in the streets are obligatory, but when trying to enter Sania´s place, the three family dogs attempted to attack me aswell. So if you dont feel fine with the paradox feeling of those creatures threatening you at night and petting them at light day, you should find another Homestay in the first place. The fact that this place is mentioned in the latest LP might have brought a change to the behaviour of its owner. Farting and other human sounds were the only things I could recall as Sania´s part of conversaton. But sure this is not a thing that would put off other tourists that much.

Around this homestay are various other hostels etc. with similar (or in my experience even better) offers to more reasonable prices.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Harry H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
ubud
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Stayed for one night and noticed bedbugs Cimex lectularius in the matress. we went to reception asking for a new room with clean bed. Staff was not polite and made us stay in a more expensive room if we wanted to change. These bedbugs are really hard to get rid off if you take them back home. BE AWARE. When ext morning we checked out nobody said sorry or anything just made us pay a lot of money for a terrible night.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna N
Freo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed at Ubud house 5 Mins from Ubud central. Amazingly quiet with 2 bedrooms and loft, self contained,amazing pool and gardens.Wayan will come daily and cook breafast and attend to your needs. Great value at $25. Good to have a motorbike for quick runs into town for supplies.

Room Tip: Is a 2 bedroom house
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hebden Bridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Walked in off the street and got a room for 3 of us for $35 per night - including breakfast. We chose here as we wanted a central location for ease as we only had 3 nights. It was a perfect location, easy access for erything and v peaceful considering it is right in the centre of Ubud !
The room was clean, basic.But for the price we have no issues. The bathroom was clean, but no soap/shampoo etc provided, only loo roll, but again for the price we were fine with this.Towels were provided for romms. No shower curtain, so that was interesting !! There was air con. beds were clean and comfy. We had a nice spacious balcony with table,chairs and a clothes rail to hang clothes to dry.
The staff were lovely, v friendly, helpful and courteous. Each morning when we got up there was a thermos flask of tea and cups etc on balcony. Never any milk and when we asked for some we got powdered milk, but shop 50 metres away to buy milk. Coffee was Bali style when we asked for it. It was delightful to get non matching plates/cups/saucers, some plastic, some porcelain and chipped. Not an issue. Breakfast was fresh fruit, eggs, toast and jam.
The pool was idyllic after a hot day, clean and in a great setting. Rooms not attended to daily like other hotels, but for the price wedidnt expect that. No fridge in room, no tea/coffee making facilities, no TV etc, but again none of this was an issue. They do sell beer/water etc at reception, cold and v good prices.
The staff were genuinely disappointed when they discovered we had already organised a driver for trips out and a trip we had booked to Gili Islands as they wanted to help us, and of course reap the reward. I would stay here again, for the price it was great ! I would also use the staff for trips etc next time.
On our last night there were storms and electrics were on and off for a long time, so take a small torch.

Room Tip: If you are on a tight budget, and its off season, you will have no issue finding good cheap rooms li...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mojitolady
Concord, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

I spent a couple of weeks at Sania's House five years ago and thought that it was very good value for the price. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly and efficient. What I like most is the abundance of lush greenery which makes the entire place seem much more secluded than it actually is. Now I have just returned and found that it is still much the same as before. The major difference is that many additional rooms have been created. Sania's is on many levels. The layout was somewhat complex before, but has become much more so. Nevertheless, with all the greenery and careful design, it still does not seem overly crowded. The prices are about the same, although the exchange rate has declined a bit, My only complaint is that the ongoing construction makes is somewhat difficult to sleep in late in the morning. In general, Sania's is surprisingly quiet, but the current construction can be heard throughout the day. It's not too loud and much better than the street noise heard elsewhere, but the constant tap tap tapping does cause you to wake at a reasonable hour. The free wi fi does not reach some of the more distant rooms, but there are common areas close to the router where you can easily take your laptop or netbook.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Ormstown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

Expecting another little family run simple set of rooms, we entered instead the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Humbly referred to as Sania’s House, it is off the main drag and is serenely quiet. It’s entrance gateway is magnificant and upon entering, you feel as if you have stepped back in time to the secret city of some exotic ruler. Each unit is on a different level affording some privacy to each and each is a unique piece of traditional Balinese /Hindu architecture. With a large covered portico and intricately carved wood doors, a thermos of tea was waiting on our marble topped mahogony table. As I sit on my carved wood setee, I attempt to do it justice. I hear roosters, and running water, and watch the verdant folliage around my porch swaying in the light breeze. I smell the tropical flowers in dish gardens on my deck and I sip the tea in a thermos replaced each morning. The staff is helpful and lovely and the $30.00 room includes breakfast served on our private balcony overlooking a swimming pool. The hotel also arranged a 1 day biking tour with an Eco Tour C. which turned out to be one of the most amazing days in 5 trips to Asai. Can life get any better than this?

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hoppiewanderer
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

Right in the centre of Ubud though on one of the very few quiet streets in town, just between the soccerfield and the market, Sonia's House is a very nice homestay with beautifully arranged and decorated rooms spread along the relatively large compound (which even has a small swimming pool to cool down after a hot afternoon).
It gives a very nice and cosy feeling, living amidst other families who continue their daily activities. Service and staff is okay (even with free tea brought to your veranda) and free wireless internet available (even in our room). We stayed in a luxourious room (spacious with two double beds and a airco without enough power to blow cool air in our room) and paid 400.000 IDR (almost 35 Euro) incl. a nice breakfast served at our veranda, which nevertheless I guess is overpriced compared to other homestays in Ubud.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family