“Awesome...tranquility”
Review of Sharing Bali

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sharing Bali
Ranked #62 of 599 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My exercise buddies and I have just returned from our second stay at sharing Bali . Karen and her staff are so welcoming the itinerary they prepare for us is perfect. The food is out of this world. We have sore muscles to prove we worked out too , can't wait for 2015 trip

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leilani L

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I recently attended a Sharp Moves Body Transformers Retreat at Sharing Bali after seeing it on Michelle Bridges 12WBT. From the moment I read about Sharing Bali and saw the pictures I was in love with the place and I hadn't yet visited it!Karen & Wayan the owners and creators of this magical retreat have created a paradise. When I arrived I wasn't disappointed. Due to flights I had booked extra nights at Sharing Bali and was lucky to have three nights basically to myself. I was met by Karen, pint sized with a huge and generous heart. She gave me a tour of the retreat and a history of how it came about. The pride and joy in her voice wasn't lost on me. I was made to feel so special and so welcome, like a favourite family member.I was in awe of my surroundings. Every day spent here was special and every day there were lovely little surprises. The food was absolutely amazing, so fresh and so tasty. The staff, all from the local village, were all so lovely and accommodating, you get the feeling that they all feel lucky to be here too. I had my own separate bungalow with its own outdoor bathroom (private). My bed was very comfortable and I slept like a log every night. I would wake in the morning to the lovely smell of burning incense and on my balcony a thermos of fresh lemongrass tea. Most mornings we got a flogging from Jo before a breakfast of fresh juice, fruit, eggs and banana pancake, yum. I liked to finish mine off with a Bali coffee (a big favourite). With the rest of the "Bali Crew" for 6 days we were physically challenged. We did many things including a trek through a jungle, a bike ride through some villages, tubing down a river and we got up very early for the hike up Mt Batur for sunrise, a great experience finished off with some much needed relaxing in the hot springs. When the rest of the "Bali Crew" had left I still had a couple of days to myself. Karen organised some more hiking and a visit to Ubud and let me join in with her for her morning workout. I can't speak highly enough of my trip to Sharing Bali and highly recommend it to anyone that wants to experience the real Bali and not the commercial Bali where most Australians go. There is lots more to tell but I say go and experience it for yourself! I cant wait to visit again.

Room Tip: All bungalows are unique!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Gabby H
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I recently spent one week at Sharing Bali, as part of a fitness camp run by Sharp Moves. What a delightful place. We felt so welcome, the staff were extraordinary. Nothing was too much trouble. The bungalows are unique (but more than comfortable) and the grounds are gorgeous. The surroundings were peaceful and serene. The food was outstanding (we even took part in a Balinese cooking lesson) and activities plentiful; trek, hike, cycle, run or relax.
Sharing Bali is situated about 45 minutes out of Ubud in a small village, a day of shopping or spa treatments in Ubud is highly recommended.
This is the REAL Bali! A wonderful experience that will be treasured forever.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BQuayle
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I recently spent 4 days at 'Sharing Bali' which is located in a small village about 45 minutes NW of Ubud. Being the low (wet) season we were the only guests so had the 'run of the house'. What a wonderful experience...we have visited Bali many times and were looking for something 'just a bit different'. At Sharing Bali, Karen (expat Aussie) and Wayan have created a unique, truly Balinese experience...from the authentic and exquisitely charming 90 year old timber Indonesian village hut that we stayed in to the absolutely fresh local produce used to prepare all those healthy but extremely tasty local dishes three times a day, we thoroughly enjoyed our all too brief time there. This is a very calming and peaceful place set amidst extensive natural gardens, running water and rice fields. Karen is a wonderful and engaging host, sitting down with us at most meals to share her experiences and the challenges they have faced in creating this unique piece of Balinese paradise. During the busier times of the year, organised groups visit and use Sharing Bali as a Boot Camp or Fitness Retreat. As we were on our own Karen created a program for us which included a full days bicycle tour, a jungle trek and a (3am start) ascent of Mt Batur. The early start is designed so to experience sunrise on the summit of Mt Batur...eggs for breakfast, cooked in a steam vent at the summit of this active volcano was unique and memorable...somehow those eggs tasted better than any we'd ever had before! The descent down the back side of the volcano was beautiful and exhilarating (albeit a little precarious at times)...an hour or so's soak in the nearby thermal hot springs was a perfect way to end and sooth some fairly tired muscles. While at Sharing Bali my wife also enjoyed a couple of Yoga sessions with Karen and you're free to join her in a fitness session every morning if you wish...it's the type of place you can do as much, or as little as you like. If you're tired of the 'typical' Bali holiday and would like to try something authentically Balinese and a little different (while perhaps getting a little healthier), we can truly recommend a visit to 'Sharing Bali'.

Room Tip: We stayed in the larger traditional Indonesian village hut...just beautiful.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Sharing Bali (aka Ayung Sari Indah) for a 6 day Sharp Moves Bootcamp led by trainer, Jo Sharp. I cannot speak higher of this experience. We were all full of nerves upon arrival but within minutes I felt right at home. It can be daunting meeting a new bunch of people that you are going to spend the week with but it took no time at all to realise that Sharing Bali attracts people that want to experience something different and everyone has an interesting story to tell!

It all started with a lemongrass and ginger tea. BLISS! These become a daily hit and there's always a hot jug on your doorstep!

This brings me to the bungalows! WOW! These traditional Balinese style houses are so unique and so beautiful. They sure make a wonderful Instagram shot and will have everyone back home mighty jealous. They are definitely not you're average room. The bungalows were founded by Wayang himself on property's across Bali and relocated to Ayung Sari Indah. It's the real deal! The bathrooms are outdoors (covered ofcourse) and the sounds of nature are a serene soundtrack whilst showering! I didn't have any issues with sleeping and some may not like not having an air con but it is not needed at all! The surrounding mountains provide cooler weather at night and it isn't unpleasant during the day either.

The fitness sessions were one of a kind with Jo providing knowledgable and most of all fun workouts. They had us laughing and sweating and they made me feel great! The activities are diverse (like throwing coconutsand not entirely spent at the retreat. There's a bike ride through the village, a volcano climb at sunrise, a swim in natural hot springs and a day in Ubud with an hour long pampering spa treatment!

The food is another highlight, all of iit is made fresh by the local staff. They are all such lovely people who go out of their way to ensure your stay is 10/10.

Overall I could not reccommend this place any higher. It is right up my alley and I guarantee it won't disappoint no matter what your fitness level is like. It is different and that is what makes it special. You will learn something new about yourself and do it in great company. Karen is lovely and will make you're stay extra special.

DO IT!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Mel H
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at Sharing Bali for 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year's, and found it to be a truly unique place; I've never been any place like it in the world. It is less about the rooms (which are all unique, lovely and comfortable, but not luxurious), and more about the food, participating in village life, and fitness. I arrived completely stressed and out of shape, but after 2 weeks of amazing home-grown food, volcano climbing, bike rides, hiking, yoga, spa treatments, traditional ceremonies but most of all the endless smiles and cares of all the staff, I left feeling better than I had in months.
I'd say don't go if you want 5* hotel amenities. There are beautiful properties in Bali for you, but Sharing Bali isn't one of them. Outside bathrooms mean that there will be the occasional leaf or bug in your shower, and you won't find air conditioning, room service or a lap pool. However, if you are up for a different kind of holiday, do a boot camp, and fall in love with Bali at the same time! I can do nothing but highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 December 2013

First trip to Bali and I feel that Sharing Bali offers a glimpse at the Real Bali. Karen and staff's treat you like you are part of the extended family. The fitness retreat activities were unique and I haven't stopped raving to anyone who will listen.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family