“I keep coming back to Michi” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Michi Retreat

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Michi Retreat
Ranked #173 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
sydney
“I keep coming back to Michi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

I love the ecentric and beautiful nature of this artistic hotel. The Professor and staff are kind thoughful and helpful. I have stayed there three time and would not go back to Bali without paying it a visit. The location is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank sydneymaan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

Yes, Michi by day, is stimulating with its artsy-mosaic design however I slept peacefully the entire 14 nights, even during the first night (which is not always so easy in a new environment). Michi is transformed by the evening darkness with high-lighted palms over rice paddies to candles dancing their light from mirror to mirror as you dine listening to the river Wos below. During my stay I slept in two different rooms which was my decision since there are so many 'themes' to choose from. I awoke to a morning walk along the river or swim in the spring fed pool with vigor, feeling energized for another adventurous day in Bali. My time at Michi was so inspiring I am eager to return to Bali to perhaps join the 'Michi team'.... Hope to see you there!

Room Tip: Anadolu or Turkish room is a favorite for me
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank becky333_3
Ubud, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I've been staying at Michi off and on for about two years now and I absolutely love the place. I usually stay for a week or two, and I have stayed there about seven times. The views of the rice paddies and river are stunning. The area is tranquil and calm, and has a powerful healing energy. This village like resort, nestled within a valley, has indescribable charm. If you're the type that appreciates character and something a little different - a place with soul - you'll love the creation that is Michi. The old man, Professor Kung, is an amazing character. He reminds me of Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid. His life story is pretty incredible - he's the author of 11 books in Japanese, and has traveled the world extensively. Each room at Michi is based on a different culture that he has studied.

I love the fact that the place has a Japanese meditation hut over a pond - the fact that it has a library dedicated to Gandhi and Tagore, the gorgeous views from their Spa, and the majestic views one gets at various vantage points from the property.

Yes, there are little quirks about the place, for sure. My AC wasn't cold the first day - and even though I would never really have to use it, I asked for it to be looked at and it was done immediately. The staff are lovely and very helpful.

The food has always been a highlight, as has the Professors very own 'special wine' - a very interesting and healthful concoction of various herbs, wine, and rice wine, along with a few other interesting ingredients. On my last visit, there were plans to install a herb garden by the pool and an extensive fruit and vegetable garden within the resorts grounds.

The yoga / dance studio is an amazing place for retreats / yoga / group workshops. It has gorgeous views of the river and is a very well lit spot for group functions. The Gandhi library can also be used for this. I participated in a mask workshop at Michi at the beginning of February, with fourteen other participants, and we all loved the place.

Michi is far from 'hell on earth,' as another reviewer claimed - perhaps for someone super uptight who likes standard rooms with clean corners and sterile interiors. For someone who loves character, creativity, the blend of nature and culture, amazing food, unique rooms, and a place that just gets better and better, Michi is Heaven on Earth.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank evo_rod
Dili
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

What a mistake it was staying at the Michi. The place is run by a geriatric Japanese man who refuses to update aging beds, AC units, bathrooms and most of all, his attitude!

I requested twin share with air-con. A simple request at most hotels, but impossible to deliver at the Michi. The air-con did not work in any of the hot, dark and stuffy rooms we were offered. The staff, however, assured me they could adjust the AC remote temperature settings, which would then make the room cooler. Wow, I never thought you could override the temperature settings on the AC remote from what the manufacturer designed, but it seemed like anything was possible at the Michi in order convince people to stay! The owner berated me on a number of occasions for complaining about the air-con not working – such a relaxing place! NOT!

The crazy decor in each room was enough to make you feel that the Javanese puppets would attack you in the darkness of night, and the aged futon beds that smelt old aided the poor nights sleep. The plumbing in the bathroom meant you showered in 5cm deep shower water and had to wade out of the room. Hours later, the water still lingered…..

This place is far from anything and the surrounding neighbourhood has little to offer if you don’t feel like eating at the hotel. The staff will tell you anything you want to hear, even if they know they can’t deliver.

Take it from me, if you want nicer facilities, a clean room which doesn’t feel like a dungeon, then keep going until you reach Ubud town where there are hundreds of other places to stay, offering newer, cleaner and friendlier facilities. I don’t understand why any one would want to stay here, and I guess that is why the rooms are empty and it is so quiet – there are no guests!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Roxhan
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

I recently spent a relaxing and wonderful three days at Michi Retreat.
It is a place just outside of Ubud (transport into town is a bike ride or taxi ride away) beside a river and across from paddy fields. A very peaceful and reflective setting. The retreat itself is a work of art. Everything is original and you could spend hours exploring the retreat and all the detail that has been put into it.
I found the staff to be very friendly and eagar to please. When I arrived I asked whether I could change rooms as I felt it was larger than I needed and slightly over my budget. I was moved to another room at a good rate. They also make frequent drops into town if you need a ride.
The rooms are all individually designed and themed. It was comfortable and clean although I was a little surprised at the lack of a bathroom door in my room.
I met the owner/designer Professor Kung who was an interesting and entertaining host. The restaurant served healthy meals (mostly Japanese inspired) and although a little more pricey (hotel prices) was open all the time.
The main drawback I found was the lack of many other guests, at first I found it a little quiet.. Also the dance/yoga studio was begging to be used (lessons/entertainment?).
It's not your regular western hotel accommodation, but I quite enjoyed that.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MMar74
Prof_Kung, Manager at Michi Retreat, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
Dear Michi Guest,

We would like to thank you for your generous post and your time with us.
We have new energy going through the property and we are slowly but surely getting the Yoga studio activated. Soon we will have a Film Night about social symbols of Indonesia, a film by Lawrence Blair.
We would hope to see you again, also, if you would like to join our facebook group if you are using this social networking medium, then just look for us under Michi Village and read all that's new and going on !
We greatly appreciate open-minded people like you.

Warmest regards.
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Michi Resort, whilst possibly not for those who like gleaming white and not a bug in sight, is an absolute delight. Somewhat delapidated, its undulating, mosaiced madness wanders right along its river's edge site, looking across into beautiful rice padis and well out of earshot of Ubud's busier day by day streets. Like a film set of yesteryear's glamour the attention to detail and unfolding of the owner's incredible vision fills one with wonder. Individual villas dot the hillside and all comes to glory in the restaurant and pooliside. Get married here, host a three day party, hold a retreat... this place is a hidden gem of fantasy, wonder... and the unambiguous ravages of time!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank cressLl
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

My fiancee and i spent a four day romatic holiday getaway and loved the resort and our room. we enjoyed our whole experience from the checkin all the way thru to the check out. the food was delicious, service was a bit shy but so friendly and eager to please. there was an amazing burial festival and the town of UBUD is so charming.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple