“Absolutely nothing like the pictures. Stunning location, incredibly run down.”
Review of Michi Retreat

Michi Retreat
Ranked #178 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Menlo Park, California
“Absolutely nothing like the pictures. Stunning location, incredibly run down.”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I took a tour of the facilities the week after New Year's as a potential place to bring a workshop group at the end of 2012. I was appalled at what I saw. The grounds are overgrown and unkempt. The villas are FILTHY and all of the mattresses have huge stains, there's mold and cracked tile everywhere. This must have been a beautiful resort at one time and it has fallen into deep disrepair. The place was deserted when I was taking the tour. It maybe had 4 guests in the entire resort.

It's a shame that this location is in such a sad state. I didn't get the sense that the manager who was showing me around thought that there was anything inappropriate about showing me unmade rooms that looked like they hadn't been stayed in in years with bare mattresses, huge stains, dead bugs, mold, broken tile and mirrors, etc.

The spa had no one working in it and the rooms were not very soothing.

In terms of priorities, I found it amusing that with all the work that needed done in the villas and rooms and the grounds, there was instead an employee painting a frog statute near the entrance.

I have no idea when the other reviews of this resort were written, but the resort I saw did not resemble any of the experiences I see accounted for here. I really wish I had taken pictures to post, but I was so appalled at the condition that I didn't for a minute consider bringing a group there.

Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Claire A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2012

michi is indeed an amazing place. it's unique and special on so many levels. it's tucked away along a river overlooking terraces of rice paddy fields. the architecture and design is not like any place i've ever been. unfortunately it isn't being taken care of as much as it should and there could be improvements with operations, cleanliness of rooms, ventilation of rooms without aircon and the staff speaking better english. i do love it and describe it as a diy paradise. however, it's a bit expensive for what you are getting and i always seem to have some issue with what my end bill is. i highly recommend confirming the cost of your room (and upgrade if you get an offer of one) as well as keep track of what you order in the restaurant and transportation. i was quoted costs for transportation that were beyond their actual cost. you can fall in love with this place for sure but you could also expect a lot more of it.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank suprduprfriend
Milano
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I've recently spent a relaxing and wonderful week at Michi Retreat. I've been there also last year and when we arrived the staff welcomed us back home.
It is just outside the crowded Ubud beside a nice river and across rice fields. It's peaceful, inspirying and absolutely magic.

The retreat is unique, each room is different, rich in details and with a strong personality. They are spacious, comfortable and clean. There's a meditation room, in real and traditional japanese style, over a nice pond, a big yoga room close to the river, a beautiful design restaurant and several villas in different styles.

The restaurant serves healthy and delicious meals (indonesian, japanese and italian), try the Kimchi home made Udon and the japanese Chawan Mushi. Dinner at Michi restaurant is a charming experience and the sounds of the river makes the atmosphere very relaxed, where you can enjoy a fantastic dinner.

The staff is very friendly, especially lovely Wayan, and they really care about you.

Professor Kung, the owner, is an intelligent, generous, interesting, lovely and kind person with an incredible life story. The evenings spent talking with Professor, while drinking Italian grappa and listening opera, are ones of my best memories.

Staying at Michi is an experience that will touch you forever!!!

Thanks to Professor Kung and to all Mishi staff, especially Wayan which is an Angel!!

Giovanna

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Giovanna F
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 August 2011

one after a while. When I first went there for lunch we were staying at another hotel but as soon as I saw the amazing Michi rooms and view we move there that night. It's extremely reasonably priced. I have stayed in lots of the rooms (they are all unique and inspired by different countries) over the years. My favorite is the Japanese style villa where I stayed with my young son, mother and sister. It's very zen and you have a whole two-storey house to yourself. The intelligent and charming Professor, Wayan and all the other staff treat returning visitors like family and were wonderful with my young son. One of the staff even rocked him to sleep while we were having breakfast! If you want something unique, peaceful, inspiring and different try Michi....come with an open mind and the place will have a lasting impact on you.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MbakBec
sydney
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I love the ecentric and beautiful nature of this artistic hotel. The Professor and staff are kind thoughful and helpful. I have stayed there three time and would not go back to Bali without paying it a visit. The location is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank sydneymaan
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Yes, Michi by day, is stimulating with its artsy-mosaic design however I slept peacefully the entire 14 nights, even during the first night (which is not always so easy in a new environment). Michi is transformed by the evening darkness with high-lighted palms over rice paddies to candles dancing their light from mirror to mirror as you dine listening to the river Wos below. During my stay I slept in two different rooms which was my decision since there are so many 'themes' to choose from. I awoke to a morning walk along the river or swim in the spring fed pool with vigor, feeling energized for another adventurous day in Bali. My time at Michi was so inspiring I am eager to return to Bali to perhaps join the 'Michi team'.... Hope to see you there!

Room Tip: Anadolu or Turkish room is a favorite for me
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank becky333_3
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I've been staying at Michi off and on for about two years now and I absolutely love the place. I usually stay for a week or two, and I have stayed there about seven times. The views of the rice paddies and river are stunning. The area is tranquil and calm, and has a powerful healing energy. This village like resort, nestled within a valley, has indescribable charm. If you're the type that appreciates character and something a little different - a place with soul - you'll love the creation that is Michi. The old man, Professor Kung, is an amazing character. He reminds me of Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid. His life story is pretty incredible - he's the author of 11 books in Japanese, and has traveled the world extensively. Each room at Michi is based on a different culture that he has studied.

I love the fact that the place has a Japanese meditation hut over a pond - the fact that it has a library dedicated to Gandhi and Tagore, the gorgeous views from their Spa, and the majestic views one gets at various vantage points from the property.

Yes, there are little quirks about the place, for sure. My AC wasn't cold the first day - and even though I would never really have to use it, I asked for it to be looked at and it was done immediately. The staff are lovely and very helpful.

The food has always been a highlight, as has the Professors very own 'special wine' - a very interesting and healthful concoction of various herbs, wine, and rice wine, along with a few other interesting ingredients. On my last visit, there were plans to install a herb garden by the pool and an extensive fruit and vegetable garden within the resorts grounds.

The yoga / dance studio is an amazing place for retreats / yoga / group workshops. It has gorgeous views of the river and is a very well lit spot for group functions. The Gandhi library can also be used for this. I participated in a mask workshop at Michi at the beginning of February, with fourteen other participants, and we all loved the place.

Michi is far from 'hell on earth,' as another reviewer claimed - perhaps for someone super uptight who likes standard rooms with clean corners and sterile interiors. For someone who loves character, creativity, the blend of nature and culture, amazing food, unique rooms, and a place that just gets better and better, Michi is Heaven on Earth.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business