“off the charts REAL experience this is no disneyland ride but a treasure of Bali indeed”
Review of Michi Retreat

Michi Retreat
Ranked #178 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Dont get me wrong when i say this is no ritx carlton! what i mean is the people here are family yes a couple of quirks here and there and maybe the water goes off for a few minutes but what you get in return is a legendary palace of miracles on the banks of the Wos River. It commands you to unplug and listen to the harmony of nature while being intertwined with "random"guests that are exactly who you are meant to connect with on the journey. And the old man at the top of the stairs who created this masterpiece of mirrors and secret rooms is a treasure in himself. If you have a chance to look at this marvel of the rice fields something from a fantasy land of magic and intrigue, i encourage you to stay at least three nights to let it sink in and reconnect with all the places that have been calling for so long.

Room Tip: Before booking a specific room just show up and choose from what is available!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank keith K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Michi retreat is truly in one of the most breathtaking locations I have seen in Bali, overlooking the river and the rice paddies there really is no better view. The buildings are very interesting- all artworks in their own right and every little nook and cranny offers something new to look at. Be aware, however, that the place is due for some maintenance and although it's very interesting, some parts are definitely rundown. Their website offers yoga, dance classes, art classes and walks through the rice paddies but none of these things are currently offered on site. There is a team that is working at rebuilding the place so these activities will all come back with time I'm sure.
All in all, a very peaceful stay and definitely a place to see while in Ubud.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingNien
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I never write reviews online for anything. Ever. But Michi has touched me with its atmosphere and potential that artists are going to invest into rebuilding this space into not only an amazing resort stay but an artist retreat and village for those to go and be inspired. It already holds such strong spirit and creative energy. The professor is amazingly welcoming and I cannot recommend it more highly for a truly unique and inspiring travel experience. Blown away. Cannot wait to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Esteban E
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We wandered into the Michi retreat without knowing what to expect and were absolutely blown away. It's a magical place - inspiring, relaxing, very quirky. Professor Kung is one of a kind, the highlight of our holiday in Bali hands down.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Charly F
Hausen bei Wurzburg, Germany
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I can honestly say that michi retreat has been the best hotel me and my girlfriend have ever been to. Michi retreat seems like paradise. And Professor dk is such an interesting person and great host. I urge everyone to go there. It was beautiful

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank angusschorsch
Langkawi, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This magical retreat is a wonderful place to escape from everything. The pool is set in a stunning art deco inspired patio and each room reflects a different creative style. The restaurant serves up cuisine as delicious as it is eclectic inspired by an owner who has made the world his home. Wonderful place, a pleasure to stay here, would recommend it whole heartedly to any free spirit or creative.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mgmckeon925
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Michi. I got a great massage and facial when I first arrived, and the massage room is open-air and looks out over the rice terraces. Such a beautiful view. The masseuse even set out a bowl of water with some floating flowers under the table where my face looked down to the ground. It was so lovely when I'd open my eyes during the massage and see it. And the price was around 200,000 rupiah -- totally affordable for such a great massage and facial. The place is very eclectic, which suits my taste. I found the property to be an adult-sized maze that I thoroughly enjoyed exploring. I spent some time down by the river, which was gorgeous. I also had one of the staff members show me how to get to the beautiful rice terraces that sit just across the river from the retreat (spectacular views, no matter where you are!). The trek to get to the terraces was an adventure in itself. I highly recommend it for some morning exercise. Beautiful. "The Professor," who owns the property, stopped by my room the evening I arrived and invited me to his home to sit and chat and have some cake and ice cream. I went over later that night, and he was a lovely host -- such an adorable man and very intelligent!. I really appreciated the hospitality. Oh, and the room. I didn't actually get the room I had requested, but they put me in the Mekong Suite, and I loved it. I felt like I was in a museum where I could actually touch and admire each piece up close. I spent a lot of time just walking around the room and admiring the art.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo