“Just Beautiful!”

Ranked #178 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Kuala Lumpur
“Just Beautiful!”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I don't generally write any kind of review about anywhere I have stayed before but I felt I had to share my experience of the Michi Retreat with others! It is a beautiful place to stay - very peaceful and just completely relaxing!

Each room has a different theme based on the owners travels and the artifacts that he has collected and this is really what makes this place very special! It is so interesting and unique and really each room is inspiring!

The restaurant is great - the food fresh too which is lovely. We were lucky enough to have dinner one night with 'the professor' who owns the Michi and it was fantastic! What a treat...

The staff are fantastic too - they go out of their way to do anything for you and can take you into the centre of Ubud with barely any notice and also pick you up. There were never any problems with any request - brilliant!

You have views of the rice terrace too and when the sun shines it is just enchanting. And also the stream which when you have a spa treatment you have in an open room overlooking the stream and the sound of the water when having a massage was so relaxing and lovely..

All in all I feel this is a very special place and one which we were lucky enough to have found - I almost don't want to 'spread the word' as it were as it is like a best kept secret! I would never stay anywhere else.

I will certainly be back at some point - I would love to stay in every room!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EMCKualaLumpur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 December 2009

They picked us up at the airport and there were welcome drinks upon arrival. However, since the manager wasn't there, the employees who didn't speak English were very confused as to which room we were supposed to get....so they upgraded us to the more expensive suite. I was not complaining!

Every corner you turn there was something interesting and unique about the place. It looked like someone's art project. I could not stop staring at each room, which was decorated in a different theme. It was definitely a hidden gem, especially for the price. The view of the rice terrace was amazing. The restaurant was also great.

I would like to come back here for my honeymoon for sure.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank wei3wei3
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 14 October 2009

What an amazing place, you will never stay anywhere like it! The attention to detail is mind blowing, from the cinnamon stick to stir your coffee and the stick of lemongrass to stir your honey to sweeten your green tea to the thousands of peices of individual moziac which makes up the paths, walls, pool, restaurant and bedrooms.

We stayed in the Turkish room, which was amazing and I peeked into a few other empty rooms, which all looked as good, each with their own individuality.

I have had massages in lots of beautiful places, but nothing beats the position of the spa here. You relax with your massage, with the sound of the Wos river flowing below - true bliss!

I will say, location is outside of Ubud, but thats what gives the place its 'retreat' like feel and stunning views of the paddys. I went on a daytrip to seek for the most beautiful tiered terraces and ended realising they were simply outside my balcony. A free shuttle into Ubud is available though and didn't cause us any problems.

Restaurant is beautiful and the food really good.

The staff are what really make the place though. I wasn't very well for a few days of the stay, and they couldn't do enough. You stay in some 5 star resorts and even though they are very friendly, you feel thats a front and its just because you are paying for it. Here at Michi, it is genuine and you always feel at home!! Norman, one of the drivers was an absolute legend and did a great tour of Bali!!!

Overall, couldn't reccommend the place enough and if you are visiting Ubud, I would definitely reccommend Michi Retreat.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stedanst
Possum Creek, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Michi is truly out of this world. It is amazing. The whole hotel is extraordinary and created with such imagination and passion. The staff are amongst the loveliest people I have ever met in my life. Our children were 'loved up' by all of them. The food was excellent, so much so that we didn't eat anywhere else. The massages with Shri were the best we had in Bali and the yoga was brilliant. The Professor who dreamt this dream and then created Michi with the villagers from Jakut Paku village is the most wonderful warm, generous host you could ever meet. We booked for two nights then sadly said farewell and went to Amed to continue our journey but we all missed Michi so much that we had to come back and then spent the last 6 days of our time in Bali at Michi. This is not like any other hotel I have ever stayed. We truly felt like guests and then went onto become friends. We miss Michi!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank inlovewithbali_9
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 12 September 2009

We spent two weeks in Bali this summer and 5 nights at Michi Retreat. We were enchanted with the place. The professor, who designed most of Michi, has taken ideas and influences from all around the world -- from Japan, Turkey, India, Vienna (Hunterwasser), China, etc, and somehow made them all work to create a funky but totally enchanting retreat.

The setting is ideal. It is built on a bluff overlooking a spectacular river and gorgeous rice terraces. It is so quiet and peaceful yet it is only a five minute drive to the Monkey Forrest Road in Ubud. The staff at the Retreat are so eager to please. There is always a driver on hand to take to to Ubud or pick you up at no charge. The meals there are divine. I thought we would eat in Ubud most nights but once we tasted the Chef's creations, we ate there every night.

If you go, make sure to take the walk along to river bank across the bamboo bridge to the rice terraces. If you go on a Friday late afternoon, you'll see local villagers on the banks of the river washing their clothes and bathing. Also make sure to spend some time with the Professor. He has a fascinating life story and has keen insights into the culture and people of Bali.

We also appreciated the easy and free access to the internet that they provided.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kendalllady
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I have never write a review before, however this place "force" me to do so. After two weeks back to my home town, I still remember Michi and still amazed of this place.
Yes indeed the construction may not be perfect, not a luxury brand new or very clean, but this place truly unique and inspiring. We’ve been stayed in Turky room, with antique door less bathroom, mosaics on the walls, ceilings and also the magnificent view from veranda.
I was enjoying a day tour in this place and takes lots of pictures. We also enjoy night tea time and wonderful taste of morning coffee.
To me this place is totally a different style of hotels we’ve been visiting in Ubud, kinda like a combined of Bali and several other places in the world into one.
I really appreciate the thoughts/ideas of the owner, the Professor; it’s really not an ordinary holiday for me and truly worth of visiting.

Need improvements: the door to the river need to be fixed as that will be quite danger for the kids. Please ensure all internet booking are well manage to avoid a miscommunication and disappointment of not having the room that we’ve been aimed for. And idea of having an antique children play room would be wonderful.

Nevertheless, if you love antiques, arts, cultures, mosaics…This is it!
I will be definitely be back again with my kids and would dream of staying in Only Yesterday room or Mekong. Cheers and enjoy your holiday

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JTlively
London
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We stayed 5 nights at Michi, occupying the "Java room" and we had the most amazing time there.

Pros:
- Scenery: overlooking the river and the rice fields, there is nothing more anyone could wish for, to wake up and look at all those intense greenery is priceless
- Design: all the rooms are uniquely designed and decorated, although we stayed in the Java room, we saw the Balinese room and a Japanese room upstairs. We felt like sleeping in an antique shop, surrounded by all these special items made our stay very special. All the rooms we saw were very spacious & clean, although the idea of bathroom without a door or a shower tray could be a bit interesting for some ;)
- Staff: they were absolutely fantastic, very helpful and very open to engage in conversations, by the end of our stay we were exchanging wedding pictures with them
- Food: although the a la carte menu is a bit hit & miss (i had the worst beef teriyaki since the Iron Curtain came down), but the set menu is a great experience. Priced at 120,000 rupiahs, it might not be the cheapest you can get, but you are going to be treated with a wonderful 5 course dinner. Breakfast is pretty standard (fruits, eggs, toasts), nothing exceptional, nothing risky.
- Massage/Yoga: we had quite a few massages all around Bali during our holiday, but the one at Michi was probably the best. The Spa room is an open room just hanging above the river, really calming set up and Sri the local masseur has the magic touch. My wife tried yoga, which could also be arranged (a local Yoga master comes from the village), it was quite intense, but very enjoyable.

Cons:
- Location: the set the record straight, Michi is NOT in Ubud, it is a 10-15 drive from Ubud central. That said, they provide complimentary shuttle between the retreat and the town, which is a very handy service, but arguably limits your mobility somewhat.
- Staff: as friendly they are, they hardly speak any English, so if you need to arrange anything with them that requires a bit of explanation then good luck.
- Internet: there is one PC available to anyone at reception, the speed of internet is simple appalling, so you might need to consider using an internet cafe if you need to be online during your stay

Verdict:
I could go on with all the pros and cons, but the truth is, if we go back to Ubud, we would NEVER consider staying anywhere else. The place (i struggle to call it a hotel, because it felt more like a second home) has some magical karma about it, the setting, the artifacts, the staff, the professor all add up to something quite extraordinary. On a personal note, I have to thank the professor for introducing Nyiregyhazi's piano play to me. He not only knew about a young pianist from my small hometown in the Hungarian countryside, but he had actually been there studying him. What a small world indeed!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hosszu78