Stayed 5 days in Deluxe Lanai 7 in October 2010. Most expensive and worst hotel we stayed at in Bali.
Pros - Pretty buildings and grounds. Small, intimate hotel. Good breakfast (except the coffee). Nice neighborhood to explore, lots of alleys with beautiful views and friendly people (but far from center of Ubud). Quiet (except neighbor with loud TV).
1. Staff was constantly trying to sell us tour packages (cycling/rafting), sometimes 3 times a day. This ruined our stay in Ubud. If you want to get harassed by people selling stuff just go to Kuta. We just wanted to enjoy the culture of Ubud, but they didn't listen. They must get paid commission for these tours.
2. broken stuff in room -- toilet kept running, sink wouldn't drain, bathroom door was super loud (woke up my wife in middle of night a few times). After 5 days none of these problems were fixed.
3. The Deluxe Lanai is two hotel rooms in one villa (aka duplex). But there is no lock on the door between the rooms, and you can clearly hear everything going on in the next room. Avoid these rooms.
4. No staff was fluent in English. At a "luxury" hotel that is unusual. Several times I tried asking a question or explaining a problem with the room and just gave up since they couldn't understand.
5. Room has some weird design choices, like a hole in the ceiling. Also, bathtub is outdoors and roof doesn't cover it well enough, so always gets bugs/leaves in it.
6. spa way overpriced -- instead, have Sedona Spa send a massage therapist to your room for 1/4 of the cost.
7. no in-room safe.
8. The "private pool" for the Deluxe Lanai is shared with 4 other rooms -- not what I call private.
9. hotel has walls around it, so there are no views. Sad, because there are rice paddies visible from many other hotels.
Bottom line - many hotels are cheaper and rated higher on tripadvisor, and they won't pressure you to buy tour packages.
If you go to Ubud:
walk around the rice paddies (free)
see Legong dance at Ubud Palace (80,000 iDR), simply amazing
go to Gunung Kawi/Tirta Empul/Tegallalang (200,000 IDR for private car from taxi stand in front of Bintang Supermarket).
eat at Warung Enak -- beautiful decor, best food in Ubud, friendly staff, quiet
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Next Antonio Blanco Museum. With choices of accommodations in Ubud: villas, private villas, resorts and hotels, the Sungu Resort & Spa is no new player. Formerly known as Waka Namya Resort & Spa Ubud, this hotel and resort has re-invented itself, and therefore upgraded many of its services and facilities to cater for its guests - the satisfied repeaters and the new ones seeking an alternatives of Ubud Resort or Ubud Hotel. Come and stay with us - Be a part of supreme, serene and sacred experiences.The Sungu Resort - the haven on the hill, within walking distance to the famed Antonio Blanco Museum, is nearby the artist village of Penestanan and is a short drive from the Rudana Gallery, many Ubud Art Museums & Cultural Centre and the downtown of Ubud. The Sungu Resort is serene and relaxing with welcoming friendly staff and management team who are always at your service. The Renovation has been done properly, To be in full operation on 1 July 2013, the resort is keen to await your stay with us with a full rejuvenating spa programs, children programs and creative art programs. Relax, rejuvenate, and rediscover yourself in a newly refurbished Resort, The Sungu Resort. This newly reborn Resort, formerly known as Waka Namya Resort, boosts new improved facilities such as New Duplex Villa Sungu ideal for 2 Adults and 3 Children. Another addition is the 2 Bed Room- Pool Villa Sungu also ideal for 2 Adults and 3 children. 2 Bed Room - Pool Villa SunguThis is a two storey-traditional Balinese style villa with amenities such as top floor is a big sofa bed in the queen size bedroom with, TV cable for kids, air conditioning. And in down stairs find a queen size bedroom, shared huge bathroom, open shower, bathtub with complete amenities such as a hairdryer, large fridge, mini bar and a telephone. This Balinese room is decorated with local art work, whilst in the outside terrace you can find a private swimming pool, beautiful tropical garden, ideal for 2 adults and 3 children; or, if you would prefer, 4 adults maximum. 2 Bed Room - Pool Villa Sungu is an excellent choice for your family. Each of the villas has an outdoor swimming pool decorated with green stone - a true wonderful appeal for a swim for adults and children. Have a swim and regain your stamina and wellness with the healthy sea salt treated pool. The Sungu Resort - Unique place to stay - feels like home ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Sungu Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sungu Resort & Spa Ubud, Bali