“Beautiful at First Glance”
Review of Sri Ratih Cottages

Ranked #40 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 13 September 2011

When first arriving at this hotel, your impression is how lovely it is. The surroundings, the lobby and the pool are all incredible and that staff are friendly. The rooms, however, were a bit worn and could use some serious updating (dripping faucets, cracked tiles,). The main problem, though, with this hotel is its proximity to downtown Ubud. You have to walk approximately a quarter mile which isn't that far but the small road on which the hotel is located is treacherous with no sidewalks and motorcycles speeding by very close to you. After one night, we relocated to a place with easier access to restaurants, walks and shopping.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Birdie3
Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Landscaping gives one a beautiful first impression however the rooms are poorly maintained,housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired.Poor location.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PoojaMukul
oming, Director of Sales at Sri Ratih Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Warmest Greetings from Sri Ratih Cottages

Thank you for posting a review concerning the poor service of our Hotel.

I was extremely sorry to know that you did not experience the service that you expected. I will have given a reprimand to the housekeeping staff so that they will clean the room more carefully.

I hope that we will continue to receive your custom and that, if you have complaint, you will inform our staff immediately so that we can deal with the problem there and then.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We loves here, definitely will come back here again for next visit! Receptionist and staffs here are very friendly. Hotel is clean and nice. Definitely your choice if you come Ubud.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristenliow

Warmest Greetings from Sri Ratih Cottages

I’m happy to know that you had a wonderful holiday and the friendliness of our staff has contributed in making your holiday a memorable one.

Thank you for staying with us and we realy look forward to the opportunity to serving you back at Sri Ratih Cottages.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

I liked this hotel -- very friendly service and a nice setting. But do a safety and air conditioning check before you accept the room. I was first given room #21 - a standard (but very nice) room with a nice, large garden bathroom. But the door to the outdoor bathroom did no lock, making the room easily accessible to outsiders. Then I looked at room #13 which was a stand alone small bungalow which was small, but overlooked the rice fields. The air-conditioning did not work.

I finally accepted (and paid extra) for room #3 - a family room with two queen beds, large siting area, flat screen TV and VCR, spa bathroom, Japanese toilet. This was probably the best bathroom I had in my seven weeks in Indonesia. Room #3 is more of a suite. It smells a bit moldy and has visible mold on the walls, but it was my last alternative so I took it. I was with a group and was charged $100 extra per night for this room.

The property is nice, with a good restaurant and a lovely pool. You can have your meals by the pool. There are two computers that offer free internet with a good connection.

It is about a 30 min. walk to the center of Ubud - by the Royal Palace.

Room Tip: Check locks and air conditioning before you accept a room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Esther P
oming, Director of Sales at Sri Ratih Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Warmest Greetings from Sri Ratih Cottages

Thank you for posting such a thorough review of our Hotel and its surrounding on TripAdvisor. I was extremely sorry about the inconvenience that you may suffer during your stay at Sri Ratih Cottages. The room #30 instead of #13 is the one planned to be renovated this month.
I do apologize about the door and the mold in room #3. By the time you read this reply, I will have given a memo to our house keeping department so that they can refurbish the room immediately.

I hope we will continue to receive your custom. We would be more than happy if we could serve you again.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2011

This was my second stay at Sri Ratih, I knew it would be a safe place to revisit some 7 years later, and I wasn't disappointed. The gardens and renovations had both grown beautifully in my absence. The room was clean and well priced, I enjoy the open garden bathroom, the pool deliciously warm and clean. The staff couldn't be more helpful, especially the waitresses in the restaurant, who were so absolutely sweet.
The location is slightly out of the way, but not a lot, just west of the bridge from Murnis lovely river side restaurant. Turn left sharply after the Blanco Museum and up the steep side road, Sri Ratih is on the left at the top as the road turns sharply right. I think the distance offers a useful buffer against the hustle of the town centre (which might be getting too busy, I mean Starbucks has imposed a monstrous two storey edifice right next to the Lotus Garden Cafe !! Offended Europeans avoid it in outrage.)
As a male I enjoy walking back from the main township at night, it's so warm and it's part of the romance of flitting bats and geckoes, although the groups of dogs along the way one late night worried me, but taxis are very cheap.
I'm not a resort person, but after a days hard browsing the scrumptiously tidy, luxuriant even, gardens here were a santuary to come back to I don't know how many photos I took of them and it was a pleasure every time I walked to or from our room.
Nor am I normally a pool person, the Germans (maybe 2 couples seemed to sunbake and swim all day) but we did have a sublime early morning swim alone before breakfast, which actually was a memory I'll cherish. And such a wonderful start to the day, so nice I meant to do it at night too, but some how I spent too much time in the town to get round to it.
The view out over the paddy fields as the moon rose in the pastel banks of clouds coming in from the ocean, above the coconut palms, all reflected in the flooded paddy, was just there to be savoured.
I can't think of anything negative, except if it gets too busy as a result of this review I might not be able to rely on getting the room of my choice next time I want it!
I'll add too, that I was forced by a travel agent to book into a large Legian hotel for my first two nights (on the beach with beautiful gardens and restaurant,) but the room was very poor and I was charged more than twice what I paid at Sri Ratih where the room and service was much, much, much better.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cam k

Warmest Greetings from Sri Ratih Cottages

I’m happy to know that you had a wonderful holiday, enjoying our Hotel facilities and services and the friendliness of our staff has contributed in making your holiday a memorable one.
I will inform to our staff that you had upload her picture on Tripadvisor, I’m sure that she will be really happy to see it.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed at Sri Ratih for two weeks while I was wholesale buying arts and crafts. It's a very friendly place, beautiful grounds with a very nice pool. The pool area is clean, lush and features lots of really comfy outdoor seating. Staff will serve you poolside if you wish. The entire staff was very pleasant, helpful and always available for anything I needed. Breakfast is included in the hotel rate; guests can order Balinese or American/European style breakfast with all the standards: eggs, bacon, ham, potatoes, etc. Very good!

The room I stayed in wasn't as nice as I expected using the public spaces and hotel grounds as comparison. The rooms were clean, but basic and without a whole lot of ambiance. Don't let this deter you, though. They were comfortable and large. I only mention this here because all photos of the rooms from their website look much nicer. However, due to my specific needs, I stayed in the bare room I was given initially (large enough for me to keep/organize my purchases in and still move around!). They helped me with lots of things, and I imagine they would have moved me if I had ever asked.

The location is good not great. The hotel is situated atop a pretty steep winding hill. There is no real sidewalk on either side, and cars swoosh by pretty close to where you have to walk up the hill. Not recommended for those with small children or a stroller. It was workable, just not very fun... especially in the heat. Bali is HOT and HUMID. Once you are down the hill, there are multiple shops, restaurants and other tourist attractions nearby - the market, a beautiful temple (supposedly where scenes from Eat, Pray, Love were filmed). I did appreciate that side of town, though, as the other areas that have concentrated lodging were more touristy and, to me, seemed less serene.

Overall, for the price, I would recommend!

TIP: Order the green bean salad on the appetizer menu. Amazing!

Room Tip: Ask to see a few rooms before you settle in.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank los_capcity_smiths

Warmest Greetings from Sri Ratih Cottages

Thank you for posting such a thorough review of our Hotel and its surrounding on TripAdvisor. Delighted to know that you enjoyed our facilities and that our staff served you as we wished.

It’s also happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and yes, many guest also really love the green bean salad, it’s one of the traditional Balinese menu, thanks for recomended it :)

We plan to improve our room facilities as the comfort of our guests continues to be our highest priority.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to be able to serve you again at Sri Ratih Cottages.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Our initial reaction to the room we booked was 'Wow! Amazing!' Unfortunately, there is building work still in progress at this hotel with stone being cut (sounds like a dentist drill) and it continues all day. Our room was directly next to the new rooms being built so we couldn't escape the noise and felt very stressed by it. I intended to work in the room in the afternoon, which was impossible. To our surprise, when we complained to the management and asked for a different room they agreed to allow us to leave early because they were fully booked and couldn't swop our room. They couldn't have been more accommodating. If we had intended to only sleep here, the room and resort would have been perfect. We would love to return another time!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny054
oming, Director of Sales at Sri Ratih Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Warmest Greetings from Sri Ratih Cottages

Thank you for posting such a thorough review of our Hotel and its surrounding on TripAdvisor. I do apologize about the noise of the renovation and I was extremely sorry that you were not served properly by Sri Ratih Cottages management. We hope that you could understand that it was high season at the time you visited us so our staff were not able to move you to other room as we would have wished.

I guarantee when you stay with us again, you will get special service from us. I look forward to serving you again at Sri Ratih Cottages.