“True Five Star Resort”

Ranked #16 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Los Angeles, California
“True Five Star Resort”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed at Komaneka for three nights and wished we could have stayed longer. The staff goes above and beyond to accommodate your needs. Rooms are impeccably designed and well kept. Great pool and loungers. Perfect access to Ubud. Local staff, means lots of culture. Manager greeted us and thanked us for staying directly himself. Spa treatments are the best in Ubud! I have no complaints. We also did the day long picnic tour to Lake Bratan and Tanah Lot - long day, but worth the trip to see the surrounding areas and beautiful temples. Also took a cooking class at Komaneka which was Excellent! If you are looking for a home away from home in Ubud to explore the city, exquisite food, beautiful atmosphere - then chose Komaneka. We could walk to/from downtown Ubud if we wanted to...but if you take the shuttle, there is ALWAYS one available.

Room Tip: Standard room with a balcony has all the nice features of the larger villa's excluding the pool...
1 Thank Love_Farm_Animals

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Livigno, Trentino-Alto Adige, Italy
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is great, spacious rooms great view on forest great bathtub and romantic as well in front of huge glass overlooking the Balinese forest.
Great staff, good tours provided by them : the three top picnic.
All in all a true great experience: two minor downs. The restaurant is a bit down scaled and "sad" not enough terrace tables and service there a bit lacking. Example morning toast with no butter or jam ( if you do not ask for it) . TV not working as it should in a prime hotel. Internet quite good but you need to login each and every time. Staff very very good once again. All in all a more than positive experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

During our 2 nights stay , we were pleasantly served. Huge and beautiful room overlooked rice paddies and hills, serene surrounding and friendly staffs were my impression during our stay. Huge balcony in front of our room enabled us to just sit, relax, chill at the lounge chair while enjoying the sunrise/ sunset. You can even do yoga there... But one down point is the hotel's food. They definitely need to improve. I would love to come back someday w my fam.

• Stayed December 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Komaneka Bisma is in a perfect location - near the Camphur River with rice terraces and a beautiful Balinese forest to gaze out on. It was also only a short walk into Ubud centre with the option of a shuttle bus into town. The staff were amazingly attentive and thoughtful and each day on our return from an adventure greeted us warmly - it was like coming home. We stayed in the standard Bisma Suite which was spacious and well appointed with a large balcony overlooking the infinity pool, the rice terraces and the forest. Breakfast was included with many choices including Balinese, American and healthy choices. In the afternoon all guest could participate in a lovely afternoon tea - also included. I fell in love with this place and would return again to enjoy the peace, the lovely accommodation and the incredibly warm and attentive staff . Thank you to everyone there who made our holiday special

1 Thank Cartref52
Boston, MA
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent 5 nights at Komaneka at Bisma - what an experience - from the service of the staff to the room itself to the setting. We were in the villa and it was really incredible. The private pool is long and deep unlike most plunge pools. The view of the jungle and rice patties is great. We had some issues upon check in, but the manager and front desk staff did everything possible to ensure we had a pleasant stay. The manager seemed genuinely concerned about us. We also visited the spa - I have to say, I've been to many many spas around the world and this one must be the most beautiful spa I've seen - its set above the river and you can hear it as you are getting your treatment. We loved it so much, we went back 3 times during our 6 day stay. I cannot say enough about this resort - highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is some construction going on on the right side of the hotel that is not on the hotel grounds...
1 Thank Yuliya A
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Before reviewing just a quick word.. I ‘ve stayed in all kinds of place over the years. From dirty old shacks with no showers/toilets to five stars hotels so of course, when I review a place, I don’t do it according to the same standard each time. Depends on many factors.. Some places the offer is quite low so you are happy with something ok. In this present case, the offer in Ubud in terms of accomodations is huge. Lots of choices. So when I select a 300$ + a night hotel, reviewing standards and expectations are at their highest.

So after a few days in Seminyak here we are, arriving in Ubud (lot better than south Bali btw). It is always hard to please everybody in terms of accomodations (wife, parents, kids..) so after spending some time on trip advisor I selected the KOMENAKA Bisma (one of the four branches in town) because of all its great reviews..

The goods:
- Needless to say, great service and staff. The standard is high in Bali.
- Very nice rooms. Great view from the balcony on the jungle and rice fields ( in fact the hotel’s own rice fields which is more like a themed garden. Anyway it looks nice) . Each room includes a small living room area, big bathroom, separate toilet and a “wardrobe room”.
- Very nice lobby. Minimalist and zen. The lobby is on top floor and you have a nice view from it.
- Nice swimming pool that merge well with the environment.
- Location: At first it appears a bit lost in a small lane but in fact it is still very close to city center. 5 mins with the shuttle. And you get a great scenery that you wouldn’t have if you were in some busier area of Ubud.

The bads:
- Beside the rooms and the lobby, the rest of the hotel amenities are not as nice, especially the restaurant (1st and second level). It looks like a 3 star hotel cafeteria. I am not an architect but I think there is a problem with the setup of the hotel. As a customer you should only see some parts of the hotel. Like you shouldn’t have to pass next to the kitchen door to go to the swimming pool. Lots of stairs and ramps to go to the swimming pool so good luck with the baby trolley
- As much as I like the dim lights and candles, the hotel is far too dark, including the rooms. I don’t ask for Broadway, but I am sure it can be brighter.
- Food: We only took breakfasts in the hotel but, as I usually skip lunch when I travel, I care about a good breakfast.. I can’t say it was bad but it is not 5 stars standard. You get to choose between a few formulas. (American/indonesian/ continental..). No buffet. I like to make my own breakfast, Eggs, cold cuts, cheese, pastries... I think this is the main difference between this kind of hotels and the big names (Shangri-La, Four Seasons, Mandarin....) In those, foodwise It is the land of plenty. Lots of waste I guess, but you get what you paid for. Same for the afternoon tea.. Only 2 kind of cakes and one salted dish .. I remember some afternoon teas during previous trips after which I could skip diner. Please don’t make it look that you are under tight budget control and you can’t afford to waste anything especially with those rates for the room.
- About the nice pool: Well it is more of a case of bad luck but we could only enjoy the nice swimming pool half a day. For the rest of the stay it was under reparation and they opened the lower swimming pool instead but it is not as nice.
- TV: only a few channels with half of them not clear.. Once again I don’t go to Bali to stay in front of the TV in my hotel room but I am talking about standard.. If a smaller, cheaper place can have cable with 50 channels (HBO..) why can’t they ? Doesn’t seem logic..

In Conclusion I enjoyed my stay in the hotel but not enough not to consider another place if I had to go back in Ubud.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank yac o
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 May 2014

It's rare I return to a hotel or resort more than twice. Returning to Komaneka Bisma for the fourth time was a real treat and it is no fluke that I have come here so many times (this was actually the second time in three months!)

When I talk about this place, friends often ask me "don't you get bored going back to the same place?" or "why not try someplace new?" The answer is easy: "I love this resort, the service here is excellent, they practically know me by name now, why would I go anywhere else in Ubud?!"

The hotel staff practically knows me by name now and were so happy -and surprised!- to see me again. It's little touches like this that make the stay and keep me coming back. Staff and service here is simply fantastic and they all are willing to go the extra mile to make your stay great.

There's not much more I can write in this review that I haven't said in my others. The setting, the pool, the spa, the rooms, the food, all is simply fantastic. I look forward to visit number 5, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: I always try to get on the top floor to get a better view of the vista/valley the property sits in.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends