“Paradise in Bali” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Dallas, Texas
“Paradise in Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 days at the Komaneka at Bisma in May 2014. It was very relaxing, the service was excellent and the food in the restaurant was fantastic. Our room was large and luxurious and the view of the valley was amazing. There's a convenient shuttle to Ubud for sightseeing and shopping. This was one of the more memorable hotel stays ever for us.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Komaneka at Bisma is perfect. Everything is perfect: the art, the staff, the location, the view, the art (again), the rooms, and the attention to detail. While I have stayed at a lot of small luxury hotels (most of which were very enjoyable), I have never used the word “perfect.” I always see people, places, and most of all spaces as having room for improvement. The Komaneka at Bisma is extraordinary.
Although there are many positive reviews of this hotel, the reviews fail to mention what makes the Komaneka at Bisma (and the Komaneka hotels more generally) unique. Prior to opening hotels, the Komenka family ran an art gallery (which is still open at the monkey forest location). The gallery focuses on Balinese art (predominately wood carving and painting). In many ways, the hotels have become extensions of the gallery. The hotels (except perhaps Komaneka at Rasa Sayang) all showcase breathtaking art.
Ubud is the cultural center of Bali. People come here for a cultural experience. Komaneka makes the hotels a part of the experience in a way I have not seen anywhere else in the world. I cannot emphasize enough what a unique opportunity this is. Although this analogy is obviously overblown, imagine being able to stay at a hotel run and designed by Paul Guillaume in Paris in the 1920s. Besides showcasing phenomenal art, his hotel would likely capture the cultural pulse of the city in a way no other hotel could. The Komaneka hotels are the Balinese equivalent.
After staying at the Komaneka at Bisma, I cannot imagine coming Bali and not staying at a Komaneka. While Bali has beautiful (although mostly overcrowded) beaches, the culture and people are what make Bali unique. The Komaneka at Bisma captures that with subtle elegance and enjoyable luxury.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katrina F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We visited komaneka bisma before Christmas in 2013 and that was so far the best resort we ever stayed, the moment you arrived and it's truly heaven for us, we like the room design and the view the room, the breakfast even served in the room every morning with the breathtaking view! It was amazing and we already planned next visit in Christmas again!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Rjliuna
sydney, australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights in July 2013, having made the booking through Booking.com for a one-bedroom pool villa.

Arrival Experience

I arrived via taxi transport from the Conrad and the last part of the journey involved a narrow and bumpy road which raised some doubts initially but after arrival, I then proceeded to the very scenic open reception and check-in area, where I was seated while the check-in process was done. Unfortunately, the check-in process took a while and I counted off twenty minutes before it was all completed. The resort stuck to its policy of only affording a 3 p.m. check-in time and I thought that perhaps there could have been some leeway there, as it didn’t appear as if all the one-bedroom villas had been reserved.

The Pool Villa

The villa was very large and spacious and being listed as being over 200 sqm, that wasn’t surprising. Importantly, the place felt comfortable and relaxing with a very nice quality of furnishings in place.

The bathroom was very large and accommodating with a large freestanding bathtub and a good selection of toiletries. There was also a small outdoor shower area for the fun of it.

I very much liked the view of the forest, the rice fields and the river valley from the villa and it was possible to get a sense of being within the forest while swimming or walking within the private pool. Fortunately, there were no noticeable issues with mosquitos while I stayed here. However, the natural setting may have contributed to the pitter-patter of raindrops on the villa roof in the evening, something which could affect the sleep of light sleepers.

There was also some good technology in the room with a huge selection of movies and music available on the Apple TV unit. The wireless internet was meant to be complimentary but I found it to be variable in quality and reliability, dropping on and off every 15 seconds or so. For some reason, it was also possible to log onto a different wireless network reserved for another pool villa.

It was disappointing to see that the ‘daily homemade cookies’ promised on the resort website turned out to be crawling with ants in the cookie jar, as they were placed outside next to the pool. Given the number of chocolate chip cookies in the jar, I doubt that they were made on a daily basis. Nevertheless, I’m sure some fresh cookies would have been provided had I asked.

Please note that I have videos of the villa, which may be found through the link in my profile section.

Public Areas and Facilities

The breakfast was a case of quality over quantity, as it wasn’t the usual buffet breakfast expected but rather a selection was offered from the menu. One morning, I was allowed to select from the breakfast options even though I arrived well after the set breakfast time, which was greatly appreciated. The quality of the presentation and food was excellent. The restaurant itself didn’t appear to be too spectacular but the views out to the forest and over the main pool were very nice. It would also have been possible to have the breakfast served within the villa and previous reviews mention the possibility of also having the complimentary afternoon tea brought to the villa. I don’t recall being told about the afternoon tea during my stay but in any case, I was out exploring Bali during the set-time for afternoon tea so wouldn’t have had the opportunity to try the cakes offered.

The lobby was minimalist in terms of its design, mainly taking advantage of the excellent natural views from a high vantage point out towards the forest, river valley and the rice terraces beneath. It certainly provided a very enticing introduction to the place. The grounds were in excellent condition in every location. Overall, the property had a very serene and quiet feel to it and could be described as being traditionally-styled in a Balinese theme. It definitely wasn’t a mass-market type of place. Efforts were clearly made to blend the property into the impressive natural surroundings, even the pool looked like it was naturally a part of the river valley.

Unfortunately, I felt that I spent too much time away from the property exploring Bali and thus probably didn’t give it enough time to work its magic. I didn’t even manage to try the fabled pool and that looked to be just about the most enchanting place onsite.

The service here was very good although I’m not sure it met the extremely high standards described in previous reviews. It was certainly good but I didn’t experience any exceptional friendliness or special greetings. The concierge manner was good and the lobby bar service also appeared friendly. Perhaps as with the property overall, I didn’t given enough of an opportunity for the staff members to show their qualities, as I was out exploring Bali most of the time. Nevertheless, I’m just not sure enough information was provided. I didn’t know about the complimentary afternoon tea or the shuttle service between Komaneka properties and the possibility of using facilities in all of the Komaneka properties on Bali while staying with one of them.

However, it was nice to be welcomed and seen off by the resort manager. On check-out, my pre-arranged transport from an external source was quite late so I decided to book another transport through the resort. After my pre-arrranged transport finally arrived, I was able to cancel the booking made without any penalty and that was appreciated.

Location

The resort is located within walking distance to the centre of Ubud, otherwise the hotel also provides regular shuttle car services there. I took advantage of the service once and was pleased to see the pick-up at the designated location in Ubud’s centre at the correct time. There were quite a number of eateries and shops in Ubud’s centre so they would all be about a 15-minute walk from the resort.

Conclusion

I had a relaxing time while staying here. The villa was extremely comfortable and the whole property was peaceful. However, I would likely have benefitted even more had I stayed longer onsite. It appeared to be one of those places that would grow more enticing the longer one stayed.

NOTE: I have videos of the villa and resort grounds, which can be found through the link in my profile section.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
3 Thank perryw
San Cataldo, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Komaneka is very pricey but it worth every penny! The service is very good like everywehre else in Bali but we especially enjoyed very much the swimming pool and the room amenities.

Definetely the place to go if only few people (too expensive for a large family). We'll try to go back to Ubud and go to the other resorts of the same group.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more to get a better room (usually on promotion few days before the stay)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LillaCampo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I worked with an amazing travel specialist in the US to set up my Bali vacation (you can PM me for her info!), and the first hotel she put me in was Komaneka at Bisma. Despite staying at other hotels during my trip that cost two or even three times Komaneka's nightly rate, I still dream of this hotel when I think about Bali, even a full year later.

What makes Komaneka so special? It's something that's hard to put into words. There is just an amazing feeling from the staff, the grounds, the entire resort that makes you feel like you're always at home. Everyone greets you by name and asks how you are, and everyone always seems eager to please. The rooms, complete with large deck and a private pool overlooking lush vegetation, are the epitome of understated luxury. After a full day in Ubud or other nearby towns, it was a relaxing oasis, though do make sure you use copious amounts of the provided mosquito spray. Covering the furniture in it seemed to work well, and we were able to sit out for long periods with no issues.

The breakfast each morning was wonderful, and I recommend you order the indonesian choices over the western (why go on vacation anyway if you don't want to try local food?). The mie goreng with banana juice is a particularly wonderful combination. Tea service in the afternoon, which includes small indonesian pastries, is also fun and delicious.

I recommend guests book a massage while visiting as well. They take place in private cabanas overlooking the waterfall, and they give absolutely amazing massages. I ended mine with an "herb bath" which involved putting a large satchel of mixed herbs and spices in a warm bath to seep (like a giant cup of tea!) while I enjoyed it overlooking the rushing water down below. One of the most relaxing experiences of my trip!

I highly recommend this hotel if you will be in Ubud - trust me, you won't regret it!!

Room Tip: Get one with a private pool, the normal hotel rooms just like like any other hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 days at Komaneka at Bisma. It was an amazing experience. We totally relaxed in our pool villa. Concierge and staff were very friendly. For breakfast you had a wide choice of breakfast menu's. Juices, yoghurt, cereals, eggs, salmon, beef, sausages, croissants....the perfect start of our day! The town of Ubud is very cosy and nearby. There is also a shuttle from/to hotel. There are also a lot of good shops and restaurants in the surroundings of the hotel. We experienced the relaxation, gastronomie and island feeling in Bali!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple