“Excellent Hotel in the Heart of Ubud.”
Review of Komaneka at Bisma

Komaneka at Bisma
Ranked #17 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent Hotel in the Heart of Ubud.”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at the Komaneka Bisma. When booking I knew that the rooms would be new and modern, but I didn't realize how BIG they would be. The room was thoughtfully laid out with a huge bathroom (way bigger than my NYC apartment!) that included a very large separate shower, bathtub and a luggage/walk-in closet. I really appreciated the closet.

I think what makes this such a great hotel are all of the little extras. From the indoor and outdoor slippers, nightgowns, and jar of very tasty cookies, and free wi-fi, there are so many things provided that really enhance your stay.

The staff is very friendly and everyone greeted us; a few even called us by name, which is something that I am not used to. The staff was helpful at all times.

The hotel is located on Jalan Bisma, one north-south block over from Jalan Monkey Forest, but honestly you would never know. The setting of hotel itself is in an absolutely beautiful location built into a valley. While you are there definitely walk around the grounds and just admire the property. It should be noted that the Jalan Bisma is not necessarily an easy road to walk on as many parts of it are unpaved. Having the hotel shuttle really helped. Even though it's technically on a schedule, if the car was there, we were able to use it immediately.

The breakfasts were quite good and extremely filling, although if you are there for an extended period of time there is only so much choice. We also ate dinner at the hotel as the Komaneka was our first hotel in Bali on arrival. The dinner was very good and for a hotel meal was not overly pricey.

I was actually quite surprised at how expensive the spa is. The massages are from $95-$120 USD, which is what I would pay for a maasage at a nice day spa here in NYC. That being said, I passed through the spa area and peeked into the treatment rooms and they looked very nice, new and modern.

In all, this a is great hotel in the heart of Ubud and well worth it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Check in was a little slow and confused as 5 parties arrived at once. But the view from the lobby balcony to the incredible pool below was simply breathtaking.
Our room was sensational, quite large with bedroom, lounge and huge bathroom luxury toiletries, and an amazing bath. Balcony overlooked the rainforest, rice padies and river flowing below at the back of the property.
Whilst not on the main road, a ten minute walk gets you there, walking along the road through rice paddies.
This hotel was simply amazing and would thoroughly recommend it, although it has a lot of steps and may not be suitable for some people.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I was in Bali with 2 friends - a British couple who were holidaying in Singapore and Bali. I made a booking for Komaneka Monkey Forest but when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to suite rooms in Komaneka Bisma which is a short distance from Komaneka MF. The 5 days turned out to be the best holidays for my friends who had never been to Bali before.

The resort is conveniently located - it is a distance away from the main town centre and the Monkey Forest Street where most shopping, restaurants, cafes and bars in Ubud are. Although the hotel provides a shuttle to the town centre, it is actually only about 10 - 15 mins walk across padi fields to the MF Street if you do not want to take the shuttle.

Service in the hotel is excellent. First, every staff smiles and greets you. Many of them also remember your name, and that impresses my British friends tremendously. Everyone, from the driver, receptionist, restaurant staff, gardener, housekeeping, is so friendly. Breakfast is good - you can choose from different set menus with several which are "healthy" choices.

The rooms are big, comfortable. The balcony overlooks the padi fields and the swimming pool and river depending on which orientation your room is. In the morning, you wake up to fresh air, sounds of the river flowing and birds singing... truly like a paradise !

I had a massage session in the hotel spa. It was very relaxing, albeit a little expensive.

I have stayed in other resorts in Bali before, but Bisma is the best so far. I will certainly be back again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 30 June 2010

It is my 3rd trip to Bali and my 1st time staying in Komaneka Bisma. I stayed in the 4th floor suite room #243 for 4 nights from 22-25 Jun. I'm very impressed with the service of the Bisma staff. My family and I never have to wait for anything. Every staff from the lobby bar, reception, shuttle driver, housekeeping, restaurants are so efficient and they go the extra mile to attend to your needs even if it is not their specific job to do so!

The suite room is very spacious and the view from the balcony is splendid. I get to see many rice terraces in Bali but to have one small rice field directly your room is so great! Do have breakfast in your room, because even if you go to the restaurant, you order from the same breakfast menu (no buffet in restaurant). Breakfast is very wonderful!

The location is further than I thought (for walking) but the hourly shuttle is a breeze from the hotel to the ubud central in 5-8 mins. It's too far to walk if you have young children. Maybe Bisma can make the shuttle more frequent. But having said this, I never have problem getting them to send me back to Bisma from Komaneka Monkey Forest Rd even if I missed the regular shuttle time. Twice at Komaneka Monkey Forest Rd, the staff there drove us back immediately to Bisma.

Overall, it's perfect. I've been telling everyone about the great service showered upon us since my return!

Jennifer from Singapore

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Surrey
Reviewed 29 June 2010

This hotel is wonderful....the location and views are amazing.

Our pool villa was perfect with everything we needed.

The staff were good...but plenty of room for improvement I think. As with a couple of other reviews I think there is a distinct lack of attention to detail in some aspects of the service and that is a shame. A couple of minor issues we raised were dealt with very well.

Overall I loved this hotel and wished we could have stayed longer here and less time in other locations in Bali as most place are within eay reach if you want to explore.

Definately recommend the 'special dinner' that you can have in your pool villa - AMAZING...wont put up pics as it would spoil the suprise!!

Go white water rafting with SOBEK...they were really good. Go to Ayres Warung for food and laughing Buddha for drinks and live music. Haggle haggle haggle in the shops.

Enjoy!

Jakarta
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I was just traveling with my 6 year old son for a short break/bonding trip. We stayed at the pool villa which was great in general but needed a bit more attention to details (such as needing night reading light for the terrace bed, night light for the bedroom, eco washer/jet washer for the toilet, better positioning of the TV in room). The bar service in the room has to also be checked more carefully to make sure conditions of the food/beverage in the room bar are in good order (we had a tea bag that was no longer fresh and a bottled water half empty in the room bar). When they get these little details down.. it would be luxurious bliss.

That said, the pool villa has a really nice long pool so I can do laps in the morning. It also has a microwave, complete cutlery, utensils and sink so I can easily heat up left over food and wash whatever I needed to. My son was so relaxed that he drifted off into an afternoon siesta on the terrace day bed with a cool breeze that consistently aired the entire villa. He even tried all the in-room bathing possibilities (soaked in the deep tub, tried the rain shower, played under the outdoor garden shower).

The staff was ready to please and went out of there way to make you feel good. Upon check in they offered me a complimentary 1 hour traditional massage at their spa that turned out to be 2 hours, with the foot bath, rain shower, jacuzzi soak, spa snack and juice. The facilities and amenities in the spa room was also excellent. I did not need to worry on the fate of my 6 year old son in that 2 hours with out me, since the lovely spa staff kept him entertained with feeding the koi fish in the ponds, watching him swim in the kids' pool, played in the hammock and cabana. I left the spa feeling ultra pampered.

The price of the hotel room includes daily visits to the NEKA Museum which houses great works by some of Indonesia's as well as foreign legendary artist inspired by Indonesia. The free all day shuttle service also made getting around Ubud a breeze. The hotel shuttle drivers were also very resourceful and helpful.

In the beginning I felt the price was a little steep, but when they threw in the airport transfers, the complimentary great massage, and late afternoon check out...... it was a pretty good value. All in all, it was quick but nice weekend at Komaneka Bisma and we really appreciate all their efforts to make us feel good staying there.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Mumbai
Reviewed 26 June 2010

This place is really, really awesome. Its got awesome views, great personalized service and a great super sized room with comfortable beds.
The Komaneka staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They greet you by your first name when you come and go. The views from the rooms are breathtaking. The apple tv in the room is a really nice addition. The breakfast is personalised and made the way you prefer.
They have a free pick and drop to the Ubud market area which is great.
I would strongly recommend you stay here if you are planning to visit Ubud. I have been to many places in the world and stayed in many 5 stars but service and warmth such as Komaneka will be difficult to find. Truly exceptional and highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family