Well this is absolutely great hotel and I have never ever seen any better even though I have travelled all over the world. I stayed at the pool villa in Banyan Tree on the Phuket Island and still it was not as good as Komaneka!!! But I will start with complaints
1) This hotel is not good for disabled people! There are some territories where you can arrive only using the steps. We had problems carrying our baby in her stroller up and down.
2) We had a special package which included a transfer from the airport. The driver that was meeting us was not at the level of a 5-star luxury hotel. The experience was really bad. It was a village man who had his meals right before meeting us at the airport. And that was something very spicy, full of onion and garlic! All the way (about hour and a half) from the Bali airport he was breaking wind, hiccuping, belching. All that actions were accompanied with a strong disgusting smell. At some moment my husband wanted to change seat and go to the back seat as he couldn't stand that smell any more. The driver was keeping silence all the way so it was a quite annoying trip. Actually after we have found out that this was not an official hotel driver but some private who works for komaneka time to time. The transfer back was excellent - it was an official car of the hotel and their official driver, a young guy, very cultured and polite. It was always a pleasure to use the hotel car as a shuttle in Ubud - spotlessly clean, stocked with fresh water and biscuits, equiped with ipod and good choice of a music. The drivers are young, very polite and very fast. They will meet you when you want and bring you where you want, will show you the best exchange point and the best restaurant, help you to buy a ticket to the show. Very satisfied with official hotel drivers and very unsatisfied with their temporary driver.
3) We had a special package which included some activities and did not get any list or any timetable for that activities. They did not prepare any programme for us and we had to remind the staff about everything which was included (we have a massage - when can we have it? we have a candlelight dinner - when can we have it?)
We were supposed to have some special souvenir from Komaneka and never received it during the stay. So upon the check out, while getting into the car I had to ask about this and then received it immediately. It was a shame for me to ask about it but I was sooooo curious about what it was!
4) We didn't like the evening food. For the teatime there was no a buffet. You get only a very small plate of the sweet samples and if you want more - you have to ask for more again and again! Not a great thing for people who are not used to ask and are used to be offered.
We had a candle-light romantic dinner and the food was very specific - full of balinese spices, really dangerous for allergic people. There was a duck cooked for us, but it was so small and lean that we were still feeling hungry after the dinner was finished! The only pleasant thing was the breakfast! Incredible, tasty, qiuckly served at the terrace of your pool villa, and consists of everything you may want! The special thanks for the freshly squeezed vegetable juices (carrot + celery mmm... yummy and so healthy!)!
The rice pudding they make is definitely the best in Ubud.
5) If you have animal or wildlife phobia - do not stay here! (heh ... and do not stay in Ubud!)
There are fishes in the little pond at the villa terrace! We had also a nice exotic frog which sometimes was coming into the bedroom and climbing up the walls. There are birds coming sometimes if you leave a biscuit on the table and ants if you leave it on the floor. One day the million of ants decided to change their disposition and made their path through our terrace. I had to use the spray provided in every room and (I'm sorry!) they all died. I had to call the maid to clean the floor and bring away 2 kilos of dead ants. There are also many sympathetic geckos (remember! until you have a gecko in your room you don't have mosquitos there!) and crickets (never seen, but heard at night under the roof). And there are monkeys passing by sometimes!
5) Not very adapted for kids. For small kids it can be a little dangerous (specially the pool villa) and for bigger kids there is nothing to do (only to choose from a great variety of newest films). But our baby (2 years old) was happy to see all the living creatures, to go to watch the roosters in the hotel field and to play with the staff.
6) Visited the woodcarving lesson and it was not good. The activity was indoors and it was too hot. We were the second couple there and we found only the blunt instruments remaining, it was impossible to work with that kind of terrible instruments!
6) AS THE MOST DISADVANTAGE I CAN STATE THE PRICE OF ACCOMMODATION! We had a pool villa and paid about 550 USD per room PER NIGHT. That was price for a honeymoon package. Confusing, when I remember that we paid about 500 USD for a week in a 4-star luxury hotel in Bangkok...
All the other things about this hotel are positive. It is amazing, beautiful, relaxing, magnificent and I lack words to describe it! It is a MUST experience! It has such a particular mysterious atmosphere that seems you have arrived into a fairy tale or in paradise. The service is more than excellent. The pool villa is a palace that offers more than you may need. Your possible needs are thought through to the smallest details and you get different kinds of slippers, a hat, a bag, candles, flip-flops for the swimming pool area, all kinds of bathrobes, pocket torch, etc. etc. etc. The pool villa consists of about 7 different spaces: a full-equipped kitchen, daybed zone, your private infinity pool zone with sunbeds, bedroom, changing room, office corner, bathtube zone, indoor shower, outdoor shower, toilet... The bed is a dream for "just married'' - you would not find anything better for your first honeymoon night. Well decorated with fresh flowers and protected with anti-moscito curtains it doesn't let you go away.
Everything is new around and you feel like beeing the first guest in this amazing villa. The cleanliness is a no-comment issue. Ten stars. By the way there are 2 or 3 people coming together to clean your villa!
The pool villa is made in the way that you have an unbelievable view all over the jungle and do not see any other buildings or hotel constructions from your terrace. You hear the relaxing sound of waterfalls (this is made by your private infinity pool and by the river down the territory) and the birds birds birds... After 5 minutes it starts to seem that you are the only couple among the wild large forest. It is even more impressive at night when there are also some sounds of wildlife.
By the way - we were staying in May and the temperature of the water in the private pool was good. We have never tried the public pool but enjoyed our private one every day. When it is very hot outside touching the water you may think that it is so cold, but entering into the water you understand that it was just a contrast with the outside temperature.
The visit to Komaneka gallery was pleasant and interesting - it is better to go there early in the morning before the day heat starts.
The Bisma street is not full of life, but you can see the real balinese farmers working in the rice fields. For restaurants and SPA it is better to visit a Monkey forest street (Jl Hanoman). There are like 20 different SPAs and you can get a very cheap massage there, just pick up and compare their price-lists offered out in the street. There are also lots of good cheap restaurants. We were so disappointed by our dinner at the famous Lotus restaurant! The service was rude, the food was terrible, the drinks were bad, the bill was regrettable. The rice pudding was the worst ever. You pay only for a view - it overlooks the temple. Later we have discovered a very nice cheap restaurant with great food and cheap drinks and fresh juices next door from the famous Three Monkeys (on the right) - it overlooks the same rice field and offers the same view but has much more reasonable prices.
If you are in Ubud try your best to see the Barong and Kecak dances! The temples in ubud present these dances in the most traditional way, so go there as the quality of performance in Uluwatu and other crowded places of interest is much lower. Kecak is very impressive, it is a shocking trance dance and is absolutely different performa
nce from Barong and Legong. At Komaneka they provide you the schedule with times and will advise you the best location to watch this or the other dance.
The SPA at Komaneka Bisma is very very good. The massage is very expensive but it was the best relaxing massage I have ever had! The girl asks you how you prefer - strong, medium or gentle and makes according to your wish. She puts all her soul into that massage! And it is deffinitely not that 10-dollar massage that you get on the Monkey Forest street!
The last thing I would like to mention that this is a perfect setting for the romantic marriage. They offer such a peaceful atmosphere, full of love and privacy that you can not immagine a better place to unite your hearts! Their wedding chapel is beautiful with a magnificent view over the jungle and the wedding service must be excellent I suppose. I have seen the weddings at the luxury resorts in Cuba (Varadero), in Phuket (Thailand), in Barbados etc. but they all lacked for that mysterious intimacy and exclusiveness which I have noticed at Komaneka bisma. It must be cute - to marry above the wild jungle hearing the sounds of a mountain river...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Komaneka at Bisma Located in the heart of Ubud, The Resort allows you to make the most of your extraordinary luxury stay. Combines with breathtaking spaces and hospitality to create grand moment to makes you feels at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Agoda, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Komaneka at Bisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Komaneka At Bisma Hotel Ubud
- Komaneka At Bisma Ubud, Bali