“What a nice place”

Mason Elephant Lodge
Ranked #25 of 608 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed 5 January 2012

If you like animals and what to visit somewhere that can assist them, this is the place.

I believe that what they are doing at the Elephant Safari and Park Lodge is only for the benefit of Sumatran Elephants, unfortunately experiencing diminishing habitats and food supply as they are competing with Indonesian farmers.

All the elephants seemed well looked after and happy. The park certainly do a lot to teach children to appreciate and respect animals and nature...

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We chose to go to Elephant Safari Park and Lodge because it was advertised as being recommended by the late great wildlife lover Steve Irwin.
The grounds and restaurant were just beautiful and the accommodation looked lovely also. However I was a little shocked to say the least over how the elephants were treated. Maybe things have changed over the years??

I know the elephants were all rescued from certain death and have a second chance now being at the park but why still make them do tricks, ferry tourists around on their backs? The worst was seeing the ones chained up when 'not in use' on individual "pods" scattered around the property. Elephants are social creatures, why put them in this solitary confinment? They would just stand there rocking back and forth trying to pull away from the chain. So sad. Also when my partner and i were admiring a little baby elephant in one of the enclosures a handler came over and pulled the struggling baby closer to us by its little trunk. Very cruel! We told him that was unnecessary and walked away.

If the elephant's well being was the main priority it could be a really beautiful place but overall in my opinion the elephants here are just the 'product' they sell and I won't be going back untill the chains and tricks stop.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
20  Thank b00ts4walking
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stay at the lodge, me, husband and my little girl had one of the most relaxing week end. We enjoy all the activities, from watched the animal show, played with baby elephant, ride the elephant to washed the big creature, my little girl love it all. The 'Moment' for us is where the big beauty (elephant) pick us up right in front of our room and take us to lovely dinner, wonderful. Food was well present and taste nice. We did not swim as the pool water very cold, was rainy season. All around we had lovely get away, will came back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ike P
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I believed that people often got confused with reality and follows trends, in our opinion animals at this place are treated reasonable not perfect but reasonable, it is true the elephants they are hit over the head with a little hammer to steer left or right, tourist must understand they do not have electronics, somehow the handler must drive this beautiful animals, in our case the elephant run into a tree when a fruit just drop nearly tip us all, overall experience good after the ride elephants are taking into a pool where you can take pictures and feed them with sugar cane pictures are taken,,,a buffet lunch is provided if you pay for it, of course first.... all good

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank elytenrc
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I would not go back to this place again. My boyfriend and I were excited to go and interact with the elephants and go for a nice elephant ride in the forest. Everything was so forced and enclosed, the elephants were all chained by their foot to the ground!! It was such a buzz kill watching all the elephants struggling to get out of their chains. The elephant ride only went for 10-15mins maximum then we had to wait an hr for the show which was less then 10mins. We had to pay $86 per person for an experience that took less then 30mins overall. And it was sad seeing the elephants treated that way. I would recommend going to the Bali safari park and marine park!! All the animals are freely roaming none are tied down. You can see the elephants there too, lions, tigers, rhinos, hippos etc a much more beautiful and natural place!

• Stayed: December 2011
19  Thank Nanferguson
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Loved this place! So much interaction with the elephants, was amazing. Really got to learn and get to know these amazing animals. No complaints.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kase87
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We went to this park (not hotel) as part of a day package with another company. I would not have been happy to pay the entry fee otherwise - what a rip off!! I felt so uneasy the whole time, felt like I was about to fall out of the carriage on top. The handler was constantly kicking the elephant to make him move and when he went to eat some leaves he was hurt with a big metal hook near his eye. I told the handler it was ok for him to eat which was just brushed off. We witnessed a baby elephant chained up and he was obviously distressed rocking side to side and making strange sounds. What a life!! I couldn't wait to leave there and will not return. Don't go there, yes it's a novelty riding an elephant, but at what cost?!

• Stayed: November 2011