“Loved it”

Ranked #22 of 542 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Loved it”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I understand people's opinions about the chaining of the elephants and I didn't like the pick hammer looking thing the guides held in their hand although I never say any of them use it. What justified all this in my mind is that these elephants were rescued form a horrible fate and from what I saw they are well fed and cared for.
We were picked up from Seminyak and it was a long 2 hour drive during which I questioned my decision to visit the park but upon arrival quickly changed my mind. We chose the night safari which includes a buffet dinner and we were met at the gate by our guide and from then on nothing was too much trouble. The park is so quiet and peaceful and you really feel like you are out in the jungle.
A big plus for us was the accessibility of the park as my son is in a wheelchair. There were ramps everywhere and we didn't have to negotiate one step which was a first for us in Bali. The guides directed us to a quieter elephant for my son to feed and also a special elephant for him to ride. My 2 other teenagers loved it all as well.
My only very small quibble would be that perhaps the offer of a drink would be helpful after the long trip and the price we paid but drinks were available to purchase.
We didn't stay the night but wish we had as it took 1.5 hours to get back to Seminyak which meant we were home at 10pm.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I visited the elepharnt safari and park & lodge as part of a day trekking trip and thoroughly recommend it. The place is situated in a beatifuly kept park, the visitors can wander around and interact with the animals before going on a ride or/and watching one of the elephant shows. There is also a restaurant on the park grounds, serving indonesian and international food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
SF
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We spent on night in the Lodge in a Park View room and thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend paying for the Park view room, if you can afford it, as you have much more visual access to the elephants and the goings on of the park. I understand some of the concerns about the elephants being restrained on their living pads, but having been to Africa and seen the devastation they cause to landscape and potential fighting, I can see why it's necessary. And, keep in mind that these elephants were rescued from certain death if they had been left in Sumatra. The park is remarkably well designed/laid out and is kept immaculate. The elephants appear to be very well cared for and are given an abundance of attention and food. There was a slight amusement park feel to the place (like the talent shows, which I abhore) but, overall, a very unique experience. We don't have children, so one night was sufficient for us. Children would probably enjoy a longer stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank passportsf
Renmark, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

stayed 3 nights in august 2013, with my husband and three kids aged 14,12,10. the rooms are beautiful. the park was amazing. the kids loved the elephant bathing. the elephant chauffeur from your room is fantastic, it was such an good experience for the kids, my son even got to request an elephant to ride, as it had the same name as his best friend. nothing was to hard for the staff, they are great. the meals are fantastic too. highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank The_Lawries515
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Good experience for us as family.. Eventhough the location is quite far from anywhere, soon after we arrieved all paid with good ambience and new experience with the elephants. the elephant chauffeur to our room is fantastic. In my opinion the elephants are treated so well, they have a clean and spacious cage, good food, and also they get bath twice a day.. Getting involve to take care the elephants are a positive learning for the kids in this resort we can feed and bathing them. Lots of activity which all include in the room fare. a very good deal. For dinner we get picked up from our room to dinner places ( under the stars ) with elephant chauffeur. We choose to have ala carte menu than the buffet, since the buffet variation is not appealing. the breakfast buffet menu is standard but with good quality.

Room Tip: if you like to try their elephant chauffeur, dont booked paddy view room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Orange, Australia
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Wonderful experience. Accommodation was very stylish & comfortable.
Being able to interact with the elephants so closely was amazing
I was there for four nights in May & am returning in five weeks for another stay
Cannot wait !!
Brilliantly run & the staff were superb

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Chookette
gold coast
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I had my tour booked by my travel agent and was under the assumption that it was 'Safari' not 'ride and torture animal' type affair.
Firstly I think it is dispicable that the elephants are chained on metre length chains in the hot sun immediately after they have finished their rides. They cannot move, not allowed any interaction or freedom.
Secondly, the guide said that the elephants get sore backs doing over 10 rides a day...for what purpose? So that humans can be jostled about in an uncomfortable chair while the elephant struggles under our weight?!
Thirdly, the guides use what looks to be rock hammers as a way of ensuring the elephants behave themselves and keep moving forward. The very audible thud every time the guide hits the elephant on the head is disgusting.
And lastly, these elephants are trained from a young age where they are starved and chained until they learn that humans are their master. When they have fully grown it is then that the elephant spends the rest of its miserable life towing humans around. The show is not much better, with the guide seen pinching the skin or elephants in order to do tricks correctly.
Overall, I left this place feeling ill that I had paid money to this company only to witness such abhorrent behaviour.
Please avoid such a place on your travels. It is essential that we stop this behaviour as this is something that is not tolerated in Western countries so why drop our morals when we travel to Eastern. It is very sad.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple