“I kept extending my stay "one more night "”

Elephant Safari Park & Lodge
Ranked #19 of 526 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Paris, France
“I kept extending my stay "one more night "”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I could NOT leave this place and stayed 4 nights in total. After spending several days in busy , wonderful Ubud, it was incredible to take some time in the magical, serene 'jungle' of Taro. It blew my mind when I checked in and the staff told me that at 6:45pm the elephant would pick me up for dinner! There's a beautiful itinerary crafted personally for you and your stay which includes daily elephant rides , pick up for dinner, free delicious breakfast, incredible dinners and magical one-to-one time with the elephants where I swam with and washed them. And that doesn't even mention the elephant talent show!

Infinite thank you's to the wonderful front office staff I met - Lenny, Wayan and Made. Thank you Putra - you were the first person I met and were so kind and accommodating. I also adored Yanty at the restaurant and feel incredibly blessed to have additionally met amazing mahout ( elephant trainers ) such as Nick, Udin and Made just to name a few.

All of the elephants are so special, but I was especially captured by Tagore - the 2nd biggest boy at the park :) The staff will take incredible pictures of you with the elephants - the ones I have with Tagore are priceless! Special thanks to Tagore's mahout (name begins with S - it has escaped my mind right now).

I can't wait to go back ASAP. Who knows...I may even consider a career change to become a mahout. In that case, I'll need someone to train me (hint hint). :)
Cheers!

Sara S

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sara S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was one of the best things on our two week trip to Indonesia. We only stayed one night due to the price but it was worth every cent. We arrived a little before check in and after we had our welcome drink they gave us an itinerary and we were allowed to go check out the park until we could check into our room. The grounds are beautiful, if you love flowers and plants you will be very happy. We took tons of pictures of orchids. Once you get over the beautiful flowers you see that elephants are everywhere! it is really nice because you can pretty much see everything the elephants do. The are not many behind the scenes areas that you do not have access to. This is really nice if you are at all concerned about the animals, you can see that they are well cared for. You can watch them swim and eat and do everything. All throughout the day they caretakers walk them around to let people pet and feed them and take pictures with them. You also see plenty of people taking the day safari rides. The elephant show takes place a few times a day and it is really cute. One of the best things about of visit is that they have a 6 month old baby with is the most adorable thing ever. I spent so much time sitting and watching the baby and mother and spent plenty of time feeding and petting them too. After we were able to check in we went to our room and it was awesome. The room has a lodge safari feel to it and the decorations are all elephant. The room was large, clean and comfortable. One of the TV channels plays the documentary/movie about the owner of the park and how the elephants came to be there. It is very interesting, you should check it out. Another channel talks about the elephants and the park, it is also interesting. We checked out the bar and had some good drinks and had a nice chat with the friendly bartender. We were able to take our drinks into the park so we spent some more time watching the elephants. There is also a pool next to the bar but we did not use it. For dinner we were picked up by an elephant from our room, which was a lot of fun. The dinner was set up in the park, nice tables set up outside where you could watch the elephants. The food was good but not amazing. In the morning we had the free breakfast and it was very good, many choices and plenty to eat. We then got to bathe the elephants which was great fun. After the bath we were able to ride the elephants into the water which was one of the best things I have ever done! After taking a shower we were picked up from our room again for a safari which was also fun. I will never forget this experience, it was wonderful.

1 Thank Aprilp2412
Davistown
Reviewed 3 November 2013

this place is so special, like nothing else. you will wake up and go to watching there wonderful animals. i was very happy with everything about this place!
when we got there i was very excited, and the staff noticed that and were so friendly. every morning and evening we would ask what our elephants name is and lean all about them. Washing the elephants and swimming with them was very fun, would highly recommend doing this!
and to make it even better on check out of the hotel they gave us a elephant as a painting (not sure why as others that were checking out did not receive this) was the icing of the cake.

Room Tip: a room with a view of the park are amazing
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Exmouth, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the Elephant Safari Park and Lodge for 4 days whilst attending a friends wedding in Ubud. I picked this hotel for a bit of a laugh but it turned out to be one of the best picks I have ever made. Our Garden View room overlooked one of the enclosures so you got to see elephants any time you looked out the front door. The room itself was spacious and well appointed. The meals were first rate and of course getting taken from your room to dinner by elephant just topped the day off nicely. All the staff were very polite and friendly and really wanted you to enjoy your experience with the elephants, be it just looking at them, riding them to feeding, washing and swimming with them. A great stay and well worth a return visit.

Room Tip: We were in a Garden View room and it was well worth it. Would not go anything less.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at the Elephant Safari Park & Lodge for one night in early October 2013 as part of our honeymoon trip to Bali and Lombok. This hotel was one of the highlights of our trip. Staying for a night at the hotel gives you a lot of benefits, depending on which type of room you stay in. We stayed in a garden view room, which included having an elephant pick us up for dinner, having the ability to wash the elephants the following morning, a 35-45 minute ride around the grounds, etc. The elephants are clearly treated very well by the park and their handlers! We knew that the hotel/park also allows for admission during the day without staying there, but being able to stay there in the evening helps avoid the crowds of tour buses that come during the day. The price of staying for a night in a room is also only marginally more expensive than purchasing a day pass for two people. The room itself is quite nice and is elephant-themed from the decor down to the elephant foot-shaped bed posts. Given that the park can be seen in one day, you probably would not need to stay more than one night here, but it seems it would be great for children if you stayed a few days. Given that we were not there long, we did not have the opportunity to use the spa. The only potential downside is that the hotel, being in Taro, is pretty far from Ubud Center and there are no cabs (that we were aware of) in Taro, meaning that you are at the mercy of the hotel if you are subsequently transferring to a hotel in Ubud (we stayed another 4 nights in Ubud after our departure from the Elephant Safari Park & Lodge). The hotel charged us $27 USD for a one way transfer which was very expensive; we only paid $15 to get there from Ubud Center in the first place. Taro is very quiet and beautiful though. Regardless, we would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 210, which was nicely appointed.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked the honeymoon package for the first two nights of our trip, and it was great. We had a park view room, which I recommend so you can wake up to Elephants eating outside your balcony. I think you need at least two nights to fully experience what the park offers - one night wouldn't have done that for us. I cleaned and swam with elephants, and those are experiences I will never forget. The staff was super friendly throughout the park, and the food was good. We took the shuttle into Ubud one day (bout a 25 minute ride), so we were able to explore what the town has to offer. Finally, we had tow massages each at the spa - they were excellent.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I were staying in Nusa Dua and so after being on the bus for nearly 2 hours were worried it may not be worth it but it definitely was! The elephants are fantastic, I'd never managed to get that close to them before. We fed them and had lots of pictures taken with them, all the while they seemed happy and playful. Our safari ride was scheduled quite early, during which the handler told us he had been with the same elephant every day for thirteen years and you could definitely see the mutual respect between them. It was a great experience and one which I would encourage everyone to try if they have the chance. The restaurant had a good choice of food and the small museum exhibit was interesting. But the elephants are obviously the main attraction and great to watch.