“Nothing like this worth a stay”

Elephant Safari Park & Lodge
Ranked #21 of 557 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Singapore, Singapore
“Nothing like this worth a stay”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I had low expectation when I reached late in the night. The reception desk was very friendly and allotted room no 10 . When I woke up in the morning saw 31 elephants it was an amazing site. You can actually clean the elephant , play with him. They also take you from your room on an elephant ride. It is just amazing. If in ubud you must stay here at least one night. The rooms are clean and food is good. Good job Nigel the owner of resort.

Room Tip: You have to take rooms facing the elephants.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The most exciting and amazing experience of my life. The journey to the lodge is a real eye opener but as soon as you arrive, your cares melt away. The resort is beautiful and immaculately cared for by over 150 staff. You are greated with a refreshing moist towel and mocktail, then given a brief guided tour on your way to your room. After you've made yourself comfortable you are free to roam the park and that is when your experience really begins, wow.
There are 31 elephants including 4 baby's, so so cute. You can feed them, hug them, ride them, bath them and swim with them. The pool to swim with them is disgusting so keep your mouth closed. There are 3 talent shows throughout the day which last about 15 minutes and after the show you can have a t-shirt painted by one of the elephants, while you're wearing it.
A chauffeur ride on the back of an elephant to dinner each night is also an enjoyable experience, we had a different elephant each night.
The elephants are so well cared for, regularly rotated and exercised, as well as constantly eating. Yes they are chained in a certain location while they are eating but it is more for there's and your safety than anything else and they are regularly moved so it is not cruel in any way. The trainers do use a hook but ever so lightly and never in an aggressive way either. The elephants actually seem happy and content and when you watch the video on where they came from and the conditions they were in, you will see why they are now happy.
We also met the owners Nigel and Yani who are lovely people also, they too have a great love for the elephants and would not tolerate any cruelty.
We stayed for 4 nights, I could have quite easily stayed another 4 or even longer. There is only so much you can do in the park but I could have done it all over and over and over, which we did. Swimming with them each day was definitely my highlight.
The white water rafting experience was also really enjoyable, make sure to take a water proof camera for some great shots. The stairs are a killer at the end but the lunch at the end helps in the recovery.
We didn't go on the bike ride but did hear from others that it was an enjoyable experience and all down hill.
The spa and wellness centre on site is also an enjoyable and relaxing experience.
The food provided in the lodge is also enjoyable with a smorgasbord provided each lunch time and for dinner.
Overall it was the most amazing experience I could ever have dreamed of, you'll never experience anything like it again in the world. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden room at the back of the lodge. It was a beautifully decorated room, clean and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with a friend and had a great time. I normally don't stay at places that are quite this touristy, and have never been a fan of riding animals, but originally agreed for a laugh and because my friend wanted to go. I can honestly say that I loved the place. We had a room with two comfortable single beds, a giant bathroom with huge shower and a really cute elephant towel origami art as a lovely touch.

The operations of the lodge are extremely professional and they take great care in attending to lodge guests. The elephant chauffeur service is fun and special and is an unforgettable aspect of the experience, and there are lots of chances to interact with the elephants. The staff are all really helpful and friendly and seem very keen to make sure that each guest really enjoys themselves.

The restaurant food was delicious and I was surprised to see options like duck on the buffet, and dinner under the stars one evening was really special.

During the days it can get quite busy with day guests, and one of the evenings there was a giant group that stayed for dinner, but I think in house guests get enough chance to enjoy the place to themselves that it didn't make much of a difference to our overall experience.

We also visited the spa, which was also lovely. Though much more expensive than spa services available in Ubud, we still found the treatments and particularly the actual facilities, to be worth it. My friend had a body scrub and raved about how great it was. I had a facial which was very nice. My only suggestion would be that considering the price, and the fact that a facial has a few times where I was just left to wait on my own for 10 - 15 mins at a time while masks set or creams did their magic, it would have been nice if there was a hand massage or something offered during this time so that I wasn't just sitting (instead of feeling relaxed, I started to feel a bit bored just waiting).

I would certainly recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heather Q
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I could NOT leave this place and stayed 4 nights in total. After spending several days in busy , wonderful Ubud, it was incredible to take some time in the magical, serene 'jungle' of Taro. It blew my mind when I checked in and the staff told me that at 6:45pm the elephant would pick me up for dinner! There's a beautiful itinerary crafted personally for you and your stay which includes daily elephant rides , pick up for dinner, free delicious breakfast, incredible dinners and magical one-to-one time with the elephants where I swam with and washed them. And that doesn't even mention the elephant talent show!

Infinite thank you's to the wonderful front office staff I met - Lenny, Wayan and Made. Thank you Putra - you were the first person I met and were so kind and accommodating. I also adored Yanty at the restaurant and feel incredibly blessed to have additionally met amazing mahout ( elephant trainers ) such as Nick, Udin and Made just to name a few.

All of the elephants are so special, but I was especially captured by Tagore - the 2nd biggest boy at the park :) The staff will take incredible pictures of you with the elephants - the ones I have with Tagore are priceless! Special thanks to Tagore's mahout (name begins with S - it has escaped my mind right now).

I can't wait to go back ASAP. Who knows...I may even consider a career change to become a mahout. In that case, I'll need someone to train me (hint hint). :)
Cheers!

Sara S

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sara S
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was one of the best things on our two week trip to Indonesia. We only stayed one night due to the price but it was worth every cent. We arrived a little before check in and after we had our welcome drink they gave us an itinerary and we were allowed to go check out the park until we could check into our room. The grounds are beautiful, if you love flowers and plants you will be very happy. We took tons of pictures of orchids. Once you get over the beautiful flowers you see that elephants are everywhere! it is really nice because you can pretty much see everything the elephants do. The are not many behind the scenes areas that you do not have access to. This is really nice if you are at all concerned about the animals, you can see that they are well cared for. You can watch them swim and eat and do everything. All throughout the day they caretakers walk them around to let people pet and feed them and take pictures with them. You also see plenty of people taking the day safari rides. The elephant show takes place a few times a day and it is really cute. One of the best things about of visit is that they have a 6 month old baby with is the most adorable thing ever. I spent so much time sitting and watching the baby and mother and spent plenty of time feeding and petting them too. After we were able to check in we went to our room and it was awesome. The room has a lodge safari feel to it and the decorations are all elephant. The room was large, clean and comfortable. One of the TV channels plays the documentary/movie about the owner of the park and how the elephants came to be there. It is very interesting, you should check it out. Another channel talks about the elephants and the park, it is also interesting. We checked out the bar and had some good drinks and had a nice chat with the friendly bartender. We were able to take our drinks into the park so we spent some more time watching the elephants. There is also a pool next to the bar but we did not use it. For dinner we were picked up by an elephant from our room, which was a lot of fun. The dinner was set up in the park, nice tables set up outside where you could watch the elephants. The food was good but not amazing. In the morning we had the free breakfast and it was very good, many choices and plenty to eat. We then got to bathe the elephants which was great fun. After the bath we were able to ride the elephants into the water which was one of the best things I have ever done! After taking a shower we were picked up from our room again for a safari which was also fun. I will never forget this experience, it was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aprilp2412
Davistown
Reviewed 3 November 2013

this place is so special, like nothing else. you will wake up and go to watching there wonderful animals. i was very happy with everything about this place!
when we got there i was very excited, and the staff noticed that and were so friendly. every morning and evening we would ask what our elephants name is and lean all about them. Washing the elephants and swimming with them was very fun, would highly recommend doing this!
and to make it even better on check out of the hotel they gave us a elephant as a painting (not sure why as others that were checking out did not receive this) was the icing of the cake.

Room Tip: a room with a view of the park are amazing
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Exmouth, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the Elephant Safari Park and Lodge for 4 days whilst attending a friends wedding in Ubud. I picked this hotel for a bit of a laugh but it turned out to be one of the best picks I have ever made. Our Garden View room overlooked one of the enclosures so you got to see elephants any time you looked out the front door. The room itself was spacious and well appointed. The meals were first rate and of course getting taken from your room to dinner by elephant just topped the day off nicely. All the staff were very polite and friendly and really wanted you to enjoy your experience with the elephants, be it just looking at them, riding them to feeding, washing and swimming with them. A great stay and well worth a return visit.

Room Tip: We were in a Garden View room and it was well worth it. Would not go anything less.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
KajaNe Mua Private Villa & Mansion
Mara River Safari Lodge
Mara River Safari Lodge
#3 of 11 in Gianyar

Been to Elephant Safari Park & Lodge? Share your experiences!