“Feeling at home”

Ranked #59 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Gatineau, Canada
“Feeling at home”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We were supposed to stay only 4 nights but we extended our sojourn for 10 days, from May the 22nd to June the 2nd.! We were too comfortable and we had a hard time to leave this little paradise. Happy staff, good breakfasts, pleasant and honest manager, (Wayan ) and wonderful driver ( I Kadek Sudana). We stayed in two different bungalows, one closer to the reception desk with AC and the other, with fan, near the pool and restaurant, farther from the road. Both bungalows were kept very clean and comfortable... and quiet for good night sleep. The location of Ubud bungalows is strategic to see the best of Ubud. It is an easy 10 minutes walk to Monkey forest.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PartisanVoyage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stayed here 4 nights, and the little houses look really cute. The pool is great, and the site is on one of the busiest streets in Ubud. I was surprised how much traffic and people go through Ubud, I thought it would be quieter. You can't heard the street noise once you have stepped through the gate though.

I had room 26, which I felt was possibly the least preffered room to have. It was at the far end, and low down and therefore the roosters and chickens kept nearby could be heard throughout the night. Bring earplugs!

Despite the mention of fantastic breakfasts by others, I have to say I thought it was disappointing, there is no choice, you are served egg every day on toast, with lettuce and a chunk of cheese. As its best not to eat uncooked foods on Bali, I was left with egg on toast, as I didn't fancy a chunk of cheese in the morning either. (sorry to sound like a bah humbug). The juice was not fresh, but like a cordial, so didn't drink as it was unclear if it was made with bottled water. The fruit was nice though. But in a nutshell: I went elsewhere for breakfast, there is a really nice place 10 min walk passed the football ground then turn right, which sells very healthy and tasty breakfasts.

The staff at Ubud Bungalow are fantastic though and nothing is too much effort.

If I went again I would ask for a room nearer the entrance, as these looked much nicer, as a solo traveller I didn't feel 100% comfortable in my bungalow at the end, unfortunately they couldn't change this when I asked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool or just behind the gate.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank AgPag
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights, booked a deluxe room, with 1 double bed. I like the environment here! It's like a small house, with a basic toilet & bed. Too bad, no paddy field view inside the room, or else it would be perfect! & I think they need to provide us a kettle, it's easier for us to have some drinks and instant noodle at night. The staffs are very helpful, we rented a bike for 3 hours from them at reasonable rate. I will go back to this hotel if I have the chance to go Bali again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
New Zealand
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed at Ubud Bungalows with my wife and young teenage children in Sept 2010. We rented a complete two story bungalow, with aircon double room (with ensuite) downstairs, and twin room (with ceiling fan and ensuite) upstairs. We paid about US$75 for the two rooms combined. This included a light "Balinese style" breakfast in the morning.
My family was very happy with what they got - although my children would have prefered airconditioning, rather than fan cooled room.

We stayed for two weeks in Bali, and planned to spend one week doing the cultural, exploratory and adventure activities while in Ubud, and the second week relaxing in a resort at Nusa Dua. I had visited Ubud previously by myself, and stayed at great mid-range properties including Tegal Sari and Alam Jiwa. While I loved those properties, with my family I wanted to stay right in the heart of Ubud, with cafes and shops and services outside the door, rather than in one of the nearby suburban villages. I didn't want to spend top dollar on expensive hotels however, so had taken the time to look for the ideal property before returning with my family. I though Ubud Bungalow best suited the purpose.
It isn't a big property - narrow and lush, with spacious rooms in two story bungalows (each story sold seperately). They also have a nice pool area which my kids loved. Rooms are spotlessly clean and tidy, as are the bathrooms - a big plus! The balconies of the upstairs rooms are huge.
Best of all, you are right in the middle of things on central Monkey Forest Road, between the Monkey Forest, the sports field, and the Central Market. Everything is within walking distance. There are many cafes, day spas, restaurants, galleries and boutiques straight outside the door. There is a medical clinic and convenience store right opposite the entrance to the Bungalows. We had a rental car but walked most places.
Like most Balinese, Mr Wayan is extremely helpful.
We could have arranged rental car, scooters, tours etc through Ubud Bungalow, but prefered to do this ourselves from travel/tour agencies on Monkey Forest road, and got slightly lower priced deals as a result.

During our week at Ubud Bungalow, we went rafting on the Ayung River for a day, did the 24km mountain bike ride from Mt Batur back to Ubud, visited the Bird and Reptile Park, and my wife and daughter took a Balinese restaurant cookery class, and spent a number of full days being pampered at beautiful and inexpensive day spas (My wife recommends Bali Botanica, and Eve spas respectively.)

Room Tip: If you aren't used to the heat, ask for aircon
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Brett M
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed in room 11, upstairs and it was beautiful. We had a large terrace and the room was very clean, clear and spacious. From your terrace you can enjoy the beautiful garden. It's not a luxury hotel but it's very good for the price (300 000 Rp or 33 dollars). The bed was very good and the bathroom is huge, with a nice and big shower. I talked with someone who tried different hotels on Moneky Forest Road and he told me it was by far the best value and the cleanest.

The hotel is very centrally located, in the southern part of Money Forest Road, but you cannot hear the hustle of the street at all. At night you only hear geckos! (and also your neighbours unfortunately if they decided to talk out loud at night on their terrace...)

The Monkey Forest is only 5 minutes away and the Ubud market 10/15 minutes away (it depends if you stop at every shop on the way or not!)

The staff was lovely. We took a trip from Ubud to Bedugul with one of their drivers and he was very nice and talkative, we learned a lot on Balinese everyday life. He avoided places where we would have to buy something and took us to a delicious warung in Jatiluwih (rice terraces) called DHEA, over rice terraces.

The only thing I did'nt really like in Ubud bungalow was breakfast, but other people seemed to like it.

They also have a small swimming pool, nice to have a rest. And free wifi.

I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank sacha2602
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed at Ubud Bungalow for 3 nights in May 2011. I really love the place. The entrance is not big but once I walked in I was so impressed with the place, the atmosphere and its charm. The hotel is at the best location too, from the map it may be almost at the bottom of Jalan Monkey Forest, but the action is actually around the hotel. However it is far enough from the noise late at night from the nearby bars and clubs.

I stayed on the second floor, in a fan, modern room and was happy with my choice. The room was spacious and very clean, the bathroom is big and has lots of light. The garden is also beautiful. The breakfast was served at the back of the hotel on the verandah by the garden, very lovely. The food was good, especially the banana pancake.

I had contacted with Wayan many months before my arrival, he has been very helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet him in person due to his family emergency, hopefully next time. I really love Bali and hope to come back soon. Overall, I am very satisfied with Ubud Bunglaow. This may not be a 5 star hotel, but you'll get the best of what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay in the middle area of the hotel. Upstairs.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank sendingwar
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2011

We spent 6 nights in Ubud bungalows. The pick up from the airport went well and our two rooms were very clean and comfortable. Ours were downstairs rooms (3 kids in one and us the parents in another) with air conditioning and maybe an upstairs room with fans and balcony might have been slightly better but also hot at night so we were very happy. Wayan and all the staff were very friendly. The grounds were just beautiful and the pool was being repaired when we left so no more broken tiles. Breakfast was simple (pancakes one day scrambled eggs another plus fruit and juice) but suited us fine and overall we could not fault the accommodation especially since the price is very good and when we compared it to next door we realised what a good deal it was.We would have liked drinks to have been avaibale to have by the pool (no tea and coffee in ther rooms) but that is a minor gripe. Don't forget to take plug in mozzie zappers as there were plenty of those all around Bali.
We visited the Taro Elephant park and enjoyed that very much (the Bungalow provided a driver) and white water rafting with Bahama.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family