“A good budget stay in a good location”
Review of Ubud Bungalow

and 1 more site!
Ubud Bungalow
Ranked #57 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I stayed at Ubud Bungalow for a week in Room 21 this October, towards the back of the site and opposite the breakfast area. Whilst the bathroom was a bit old and unloved and to some a bit icky, the room was nice and always clean and attended to daily - and that includes the bathroom. The little front porch was lovely and allowed me to interact with other guests. I found having the fan on high would cool me down quite well, despite being there during a very hot humid time. There were no blackouts if anyone is curious about that. Having been to Bali before, I wouldn't expect anything else for only US$22 a night which also includes breakfast.

You can hear chickens all day long, but they didn't wake me and I'm a light sleeper. I was more likely to be woken by other guests as I was near the pool and there were lots of French families in town. I was warned the pool would be cleaned one morning, but I certainly didn't realise this would be at 5:20am! I understood they had to get the work done before guests needed the pool, but I was not a happy guest that morning!

Breakfast was simple and had only one option daily, but it was sufficient for my morning needs. The pancakes are pretty yummy though and it was a happy coincidence I got these on my birthday! For those looking for nice food, 3 Monkeys, Cinta, and the Laughing Buddha Bar are all within easy walking distance. The Laughing Buddha Bar is my favourite choice for dinner/tapas, some cocktails and some great live music.

The location of the hotel itself was good, with a convenience shop and two ATMs within a few metres. Plenty of restaurants and shops nearby, you can get a driver on the street. Its not too hard to walk back past the Monkey Forest to JL Hanoman which has some more shops.

Wayan, the manager, was lovely although I didn't see him much. The rest of the staff are always willing to help you as much as they can and will call Wayan if they're not sure. My only real criticism would be that I went to the front desk a couple of times during the day/early evening and couldn't find anyone to answer my questions. However the beauty of Bali is that you can ask anyone on the street and they will do their best to help. The only other issue was that I got a driver for a daytrip who didn't speak English. Whilst he apologised many times, it meant some mix ups with timing and that spoilt my day a little. It also meant long silences in the car, sometimes for over an hour. I love to ask questions and learn so it was a bit disappointing. I understand he did his best, but it was a bit of a mismatch for me.

Overall this hotel met my expectations and provided a lovely, comfortable stay in Ubud. For those with concerns, just remember what you're getting for such a low price. I would happily return there in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeules

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Was there in September, 2010. Best location, villas in nice shady garden with pool. Wayan answered all my questions in email, picked us up at the airport and we went with him or his colleague for day trips by car to Borobudur, Prambanan etc. Everybody was really helpful, it was our first time in Bali, they told us lots of useful info and things about balinese culture and customs. All this for very good price.
Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onlien7
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here whilst I was 7 months pregnant and had a great time. Staff are so friendly, the rooms are lovely (I would suggest staying on the 2nd floor however, less noisy) and unbelievably good value.

Breakfast was average so I would take a walk up the road for meals.

Great - I would definately come back!

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor, towards the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We initially booked Ubud Bungalow thinking that paying $33 USD a night meant we'd get the budget basics - but this place was so much more than that. We tried to book for an airconditioned room but they only had fan rooms left - there was no need for an air conditioner, the fan room was perfectly comfortable. The gardens were amazing, bungalows clean and fresh, and there was plenty of attention to detail. The manager Wayan was lovely and helpful. The location was brilliant, within an easy walk to most of Ubud. The breakfast was nice with fruit and different egg dishes. I would love to have the opportunity to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for one closer to the front and away from the roosters down the back - however at the very front...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Ubud Bungalows is supposed to be a budget place (US$30 a room a night) but it deserves 5 stars.
We were in a new room, light, airy and spacious. It was fan cooled - you don't need air con in Ubud. The bathroom was beautiful with a huge shower area, there was plenty of storage space, a clean, comfortable bed with immaculate linen and nice thick towels. You could have extra large thick towels for the pool. There was a large balcony overlooking the beautiful gardens with two comfortable chairs and a coffee table. The pool was great with very nice new sun lounges. The dining room overlooks the river and the breakfasts were delicious. They serve fresh fruit, water melon juice, a different hot dish each day and excellent coffee.
We were picked up in Legian - right on time - and driven to the Bungalows by the Manager, Wayan. He has worked on cruise ships and is a fabulous host with excellent English. There were 4 of us and the cost was a total of $25 which we thought was very fair. This was all arranged by email directly with Wayan. All the staff were fantastic, they did everything possible to make your stay a wonderful experience.
Our friends stayed in one of the older rooms and they loved it. The only difference was it had a pink bathroom with a big pink bath - and the shower was over it. This is a really fabulous place, they make you feel really special. Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Room 11 is upstairs and has a great view over the next door swimming pool. Room 19 is downstairs and...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We were extremely happy with our choice!!!!! When trying to decide where to stay in Ubud we spent hours on the internet looking. We came across Ubud Bungalow and werent 100% sure if we had made the right choice. Throughout our email correspondence Wayan was very quick to respond and only too happy to help. From the moment we arrived at the property we were well looked after by the staff and as soon as we walked into our room we were pleasantly surprised to see how huge it was. We had only booked a renovated standard fan room but this was more than sufficient. It had a queen bed and single bed and as we had the 2 children Wayan provided a mattress for the floor. The room was very clean and the bathroom was great. Would definitely go back and stay here again.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs renovated standard fan room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Vance P
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Small hotel ideally situated on the Monkey forest road (right in the middle of it) - rooms are available in small house (1 floor), the staff and their manager are available, friendly and so helpful.
They even propose a transfer to Gilli - far cheaper than other company.

Book ahead as it is a small business.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple