Ubud Bungalow
US$139
US$259
US$219
Agoda.com
All reviewsmonkey forestair concircle kthe breakfast areafan roomnewer roomsperfect locationbalinese stylecleaned every dayrestaurants and shopsbreakfast was deliciousswimming poolbanana pancakesper nightnice gardentea coffeethe main street
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was very excited to stay at this hotel due to it's high rating on TA. However, I found it very average in all respects, and would gladly pay a bit more to stay at another establishment where I had stayed on a previous visit to Ubud.

I guess it all started off on the wrong note: although I had let them know twice that I would be arriving very early, no-one was expecting me and the receptionist actually asked me if I was checking out! From here it all went down-hill. I could understand that my room wasn't ready at this early hour, but with a bunch of rooms available, it would have been great if they had offered me a place to take a shower. But I had to go to another hotel just to use the toilet. In fact, I got the distinct idea that management was trying to get me to upgrade to one of the over-priced and never-rented superior rooms so that they could rent out my standard bungalow.

I had the bungalow right next to the pool, and I would recommend that you ask to be moved immediately should this be your fate. In the afternoons the staff play noisy games right by the window, and in the mornings the verandah of the bungalow is used by housekeeping staff waiting for guests to leave. Where is the respect for the guests' privacy? Really, one should not have to ask for the exclusive use of your verandah!

The standard bungalows are large, but old. Especially the bathrooms are in need of some TLC. I twice mentioned that the bath was not draining properly and was told that it was in fact fine. A great annoyance was the fact that my room was not cleaned, even though the housekeeping staff had been sitting on the verandah all morning. Whoever is in charge of housekeeping is clearly not doing their job.

Breakfast was not bad, discounting the very confused service and the shells in my scrambled eggs. I do think it's a great pity that it's not possible to get any sort of drink after breakfast. There are so many staff members around all day that it seems quite feasible that basic drinks could be made available.

For me the location of the hotel is unfortunately another negative. To be bombarded by offers of taxi's and massages every time you stick your nose out the property gets annoying pretty fast, and the traffic congestion certainly does not make for pleasant walking. This, however, is no fault of the hotel's and something that I should have foreseen.

After all of that, it has to be said both the pool and garden are fantastic. The garden is beautifully kept by a very friendly groundsman and the pool is spotlessly maintained. It was lovely to spend time here and was certainly a redeeming factor during an otherwise disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Not next to the pool!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank DiveDiva21
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stopped here because our daughter wanted a hotel near the Monkey Forest, which is a short walk away. They have three levels of rooms, all at very reasonable prices for the luxury level. Since it was not hot during our two days there, we stayed in the oldest, cheapest bungalows with no AC, but ceiling fans that were enough. These are simple bungalows with no luxury extras, but we paid about $28 per night. The pool was clean and perfect for our 4-year old. Wi-fi is free. Service, as in most of Bali, was fast and friendly. Breakfast was excellent, with American, European, and Balinese choices, each with with a large tropical fruit plate, all included in the reasonable price.

The middle range rooms have AC and are beautiful traditional Balinese bungalows for about $55 per night, and the newest bungalows are modern-style rooms as nice as most luxury villas in the area for about $92 per night.

This place does not compete with the isolated, luxurious, and romantic resorts all around Ubud, but it's a good choice for a convenient location, good prices, excellent breakfast and friendly service.

Room Tip: Most will want the first floor bungalows in all three price ranges to avoid the steps, but all the three levels of rooms are all well-priced for the luxury level provided.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ObservantGuest
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Loved this place! Never used the pool but it always looked inviting. The staff was very friendly and tried to help whenever possible. There were some gaps with communication but it's to be expected when traveling. I never felt uncomfy traveling alone.

The only con was getting a massage . It wasn't good at all! The doors to the cabana wouldn't close properly and I felt exposed by the pool. I suggest going to a place called Zen past the monkey forest.

Otherwise, thus place was centrally located and easy walking distance to attractions. It was very clean and tidy too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank stewad-s
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Great price per night for an un air conditioned room (fan). The BEST breakfast I have had in hotels EVER. Cooked to order. Fresh and delicious. Helpful, friendly and kind staff. Had planned to stay one night but loved it so much we stayed for three!!

Very close to monkey forest.

Could NOT fault a thing about this great boutiquey accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MisschiffMinx
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The rooms are clean and well maintained. The service was perfect, if you needed anything just ask at the reception and they will help you! Also the tours that they provide are perfect and cheaper than when you buy them on the street!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple