“Bali countryside”
Review of Villa Sarna Ubud

Villa Sarna Ubud
Ranked #152 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Located a few miles from Ubud main town. Hotel offers a free shuttle . Picturesque setting in a beautifully lush valley. Beautiful gardens with stepped pathways between the various villas. Rooms simply decorated with what I imagine to be traditional furniture combined with modern conveniences. The staff are very friendly and complimentary coffee and tea was freshly made on request all day in a nice lounge or on the balcony. We ate in the nearest restaurant which I believe has a connection with the hotel and provided complementary transport on demand . This too was in a lovely setting and the food was good.Will definately return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed in the Ganesha villa over New Years and we really enjoyed staying at Villa Sarna.
I didn't find any of the water pressure issues as mentioned in the previous reviews and everyone working there was incredibly helpful and friendly.
I enjoyed traditional Indonesian breakfasts at other places in Bali such as Mee Goreng and it would have been nice to have that as an option at Villa Sarna rather than the western options.
Although it was really great and we knew booking it that it was located 20 minutes outside of Ubud- it got tiring everyday to know we had to think and pre-book the shuttle back and forth (taxi would cost around 100K). Still, this was a really good service and we enjoyed chatting with the drivers and understanding more about Balinese culture and the people - plus, if you are the only ones in the van they will drop you basically anywhere as on our first day we wanted lunch at Naughty Nuri's but when he drove up there it was closed so he bought us back to Ibu Oka for Baba Guling (which I definitely recommend).
I would highly recommend staying here as it's beautiful and peaceful just be aware you are considerably out of town.
Also if travelling on from here - I would organise transport externally.. Our fault as they charge in US$ for us to travel onwards to Sanur and it ended up being ~450K for the one hour trip. I'm pretty sure we could have negotiated a driver on the streets of Ubud for 450K for 3-4 hours of driving!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at Villa Sarna while on a weekend getaway for my wife's birthday. It was the perfect spot - lovely room and peaceful. I mentioned to the staff in advance that it was a birthday occasion, and when we arrived there was a beautiful cake in the room, and the bed was made up specially with flowers and rose petals (all complimentary). It was a wonderful additional touch and the essence of great Balinese hospitality.

Would love to return to Villa Sarna and recommend to anyone who is looking for beautiful and reasonably priced accomodation during their stay in Ubud.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at Villa Sarna for only the first 4 days of our trip to Bali and we wish we'd booked for the whole time. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you're comfortable and to help in any way they can. They are knowledgeable about the region and eager to educate about the culture on the in-house tours. I say "tour," but it didn't fit the average definition of tour; it felt like we were being shown around by a good friend who also happened to be a local!

Just outside of Ubud, this haven is extremely peaceful. Keep in mind, that you are in the jungle and near many rice paddies and nearby villages, so there will be roosters, barong ceremonies (with drums, but far away enough so you'll only faintly hear the beat) and birds. Altogether, however, they create a background soundtrack equal to one you would find on a "soothing sounds" cd. I actually quite enjoyed being engulfed in the music of Bali. :)

Oh, and a bonus note: my husband had off-handedly mentioned that we were planning to take a birthday yoga class for me as we were arranging a ride to Ubud the next day (the shuttle is free every day, a major bonus!). At our free breakfast the next morning, the staff surprised me with a birthday cake! Now, the staff is small as there are only a few villas here, so it had to be a special trip for one of them that morning. I was so touched by their kindness that I almost cried!

I cannot recommend Villa Sarna highly enough. We will visit again & I hope you do, too!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Krishna room, but honestly, it seems like they're all pretty great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Amazing culture experience hidden away from all the hustle and bustle. It's quiet and serene environment makes it so easy to relax and unwind with my partner while we enjoyed the sound of nature at night.

We enjoyed our stay although it was just for 1 night and never regretted it. The villa is about 20 minutes drive or less from the center of town, but there was a shuttle available at all times so moving around was never a problem.

All the staff were helpful, friendly and courteous. Spending our last night at this Villa was not only a treat, it was an episode of living life the fabulous way while on holiday. From the time we reached the hotel, our luggage was brought to our Villa while we were still checking in, the bell boy literally kept the luggage in the changing room of our Villa. What makes the experience better from any other hotel is that you have the option to have breakfast served on your private porch while enjoying your meal on your love bed. All you have to do is phone the kitchen, give them your Villa's name and place your order.

The only concern I had during my stay was the lighting, the pavement and stairs weren't as well light so I needed the aid of my mobile phone's flashlight.

Room Tip: All the Villa's are equally good. There's no need to worry about noise. Just be aware that B...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I had a wonderful experience at Villa Sarna. It's a beautiful hidden gem a short drive from the center of town (there is a convenient shuttle). It really felt like I was transported to a magical place. I got a chance to meet a lovely couple from Australia at breakfast and they told me that they vacation at Villa Sarna about once a year. I completely understand because if I ever come back to Bali, it would definitely be on top of my list. I wanted to thank the entire staff that went out of their way to make my stay memorable. You deserve all of these glowing reviews you receive. Well done.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Just got back from a wonderful time at Villa Sarna. The breakfast,and room service were perfect. I was looking for a relaxing getaway and this was it. The rooms were wonderful and nothing was too much for the staff. It was great to be able to get to Ubud whenever I wanted and come back to the little oasis. Definitely a little piece of Heaven.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple