“Superb place if you are looking for peace”
Review of Villa Sarna Ubud

Villa Sarna Ubud
Ranked #152 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We read the "terrible"-rated reviews before going ahead and choosing Villa Sarna based on the many better-rated ones. We stayed there for almost a week and were delighted with our stay. I think all you need do to avoid disappointment is understand what kind of place this is.

It's not in Ubud, and it doesn't claim to be. It's near Tegalalang village, but they have a shuttle service to both Tegalalang and Ubud. The advantage of the location is that you are right in the middle of a forested area and very close to rice terraces. If it rains too hard, or you want a day off, it's a great place to just relax. We were there for the "silent day", Nyepi, and enjoyed our day in the hotel.

It's not a super-posh place, and at least our room (Brahma) didn't have a bath tub (no surprises - we checked the photos). It's very comfortable, on the other hand. We had a huge balcony! Service and attitude are very good. I was surprised to see complaints about the breakfast in some reviews. Breakfast is functional, filling and is quite complete. The breakfast area is very nice. It's not an "industrialized" breakfast with 100 options. There are only seven rooms in the hotel.

Being on a hill overlooking a valley means that there are great views. On the other hand, what you do need to be aware of is that there are many, many steps. I had a slightly stiff knee from before, and it complained a bit, but I got used to it.

Dampness can also be a bit of a problem. You will be in the middle of dense rainforest, and you should only be there if you like the idea. There are limits to how much the aircon can dehumidify. Also, there is a constant "birdsong" all the time. If that disturbs you, this is not the right place.

We loved it all.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AshishKr

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

First, this is not in Ubud. For me that's a plus but some may prefer to be in walking distance of Ubud which is why I split my stay between this hotel and one near the town. Otherwise the free hourly shuttle service is fine at about 15 to 20 minutes one way. The road approaching SV is steep. The entrance is literally a hole in the wall so be sure your driver doesn't miss it. The staff on check in are friendly and helpful. The setting is magical and the rooms are large with great views and big balconies. I stayed in Brahma which is not a suite. I believe bigger suites are available. I'd hesitate to call it a villa since there is no kitchen or living room but I had plenty of space for one (or a couple). The only slight problem is the musty odour on entering the room. The split system A/C doesn't fix this so I just opened all the windows. The small pool is pretty and you can get a poolside massage which is very good. There is a mini bar and room service. Staff will also order for you at the restaurant across the valley and deliver to you. Walking to shops will be a problem so ask staff to shuttle you around if necessary. Make sure to arrange a pickup for your onward journey and be clear that this quite a way out of Ubud and you need to allow an extra 30 minutes to be safe.

Bathrooms are clean and modern, furniture and design is rustic and local which is good. Rooms are big and staff are great. The owner and his son introduced themselves to me and we had a nice chat. They come to stay here themselves periodically so you get the feeling that you are a guest in someone's home rather than a hotel guest. I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 5 April 2014

After spending 8 days in Seminyak- we were looking forward to a quiet village life in Ubud.
It was very peaceful, loved the views of the Krishna villa balcony!
The villa was more of a hotel room rather than a villa which was bit disappointing after staying in a villa in Seminyak.
Perhaps a tv program guide for the tv channels would been helpful as spend more time flicking channels as not sure of the tv stations.
Maybe it should be advertised as a hotel rather than a villa.
Staff very attentive, place was clean but it was a very steep walk down the windy road to the nearest town/ shops just up the road from the villa .
Hard walk back as no lights along the steep walk back to villa.

There's a nice walk up the hill from the villa to your right which takes you to beautiful rice paddy fields and local villages-nice walk to see the sunrise.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shanti222
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We had a wonderful time in Bali and stayed at Villa Sarna for 3 nights in March. We got a deal through Expedia, and all of the staff were warm and friendly. We stayed in the Arjuna room which is perfect for couples-- very private and large enough. We were happy we picked it. We splashed around in the pool one afternoon, but this was not the major draw for us. The included breakfast is decent (banana pancakes are your best bet), and the Bali coffee is great. I notice many reviewers commented on how wonderful VS is but that it is not in Ubud, and this is precisely why we booked it. The location is literally around the corner from one of the most spectacular views of the Tegalang rice terraces and the quiet of the jungle was much preferable to the tourist scene in Ubud. The shuttle service was convenient and flexible, although perhaps that was because we were there during the off season.

Room Tip: Arjuna is very private-- great pick for couples.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This villa is about 15 minutes outside of Ubud and is totally secluded from the busy touristy areas. We stayed in the Shiva suite and from the balcony, it felt like we were in the midst of a rainforest. Check in was seamless and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was rustic with a very modern and large bathroom. The breakfast was served on the deck and the setting was so peaceful and serene that I totally forgot the stressors at work! There is a shuttle that runs every hour into Ubud and we took advantage of this service and again the driver was very helpful in providing suggestions. Overall, this was an excellent stay and next time I am in Bali, I will head straight to Villa Sarna!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Narrin1
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The drive up to the entrance of this unassuming Villa is steep!
You arrive at a discreet entrance and are warmly greeted by the staff and offered a refreshing arrival drink and cool towel before being shown to your room, all very efficient.
Turn around and enjoy the surrounding views over the valley and lounge on the day beds or enjoy the main library/ guest area. Soectactular and intimate. I feel like I'm staying at a friends place, which is how I'm supposed to feel.
The pool area although small is beautiful and the is spotlessly clean. Just enjoy the surroundings and let your senses do the rest.
I'm off to hire a bike for my week stay, but their are free shuttles to Ubud, approx 6 km away.
The famous rice terraces are a 15 minute stroll and it's good to get a little exercise in.......after an extensive breakfast which you can enjoy either on your own private balcony or on the terrace viewing the palm grove.

Room Tip: I chose Krishna, it was up high enjoying the views of the surrounding valley. room was large with a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I booked here because the reviews that I had read said the the villas were peaceful and comfortable. The reviews were right. The rooms are comfortable and airy.

The Villa Sarna is set on a beautiful property about 8.7 km outside of Ubud. It is so peaceful there that if you didn't go into Ubud you could almost forget other tourists are around.

The staff are lovely and they are all very helpful. The Villa prepares breakfast but all the other meals are prepared at Kampung Cafe and bought in. The staff preparing the breakfast are lovely and the breakfast is simple but filling. The food from Kampung Cafe is also delicious.

The shuttle runs every 2 hours and makes it feel like Ubud is in easy reach.

When we come back to Bali next we will stay here to recharge.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavinC
Villasarna, Owner at Villa Sarna Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

"Thank you so much for the great review that has been given! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Sarna! Just a note- our shuttle does have a schedule to run every 2 hours but we also can accommodate requests for other times as well. We aim to do whatever we can for our guests at Villa Sarna! Thanks again!