“Excellent, Cozy Boutique Hotel with Exotic Atmosphere”
Review of Villa Sarna Ubud

Villa Sarna Ubud
Ranked #147 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 4 November 2010

This is a small-scale property -- just 7 rooms -- that takes full advantage of its intimate size and beautiful setting in a valley just north of Ubud. The staff is attentive and professional, while also being friendly and informal.

The hotel is magnificently situated high on the side of a lush, narrow valley, with gorgeous views across to the other side -- particularly nice when the mists and clouds drift through. And the architecture and grounds are absolutely superb, if you're looking for Balinese atmosphere: everywhere you look, the statuary, landscaping, stonework and structures are remarkably artistic and tasteful.

The only drawback is for people who have difficulty with steps and stairs: because the hotel is terraced into a steep hillside, it's necessary to go up and down steps frequently to get from lobby to pool to guestrooms. For normally healthy people, this will be no issue at all; for the elderly or the handicapped, probably better to look elsewhere.

But if you're coming to Bali, you should definitely consider staying at a distinctive boutique resort like the Villa Sarna, rather than a chain resort hotel -- these places offer a much more unique and memorable experience, while being every bit as comfortable and well-run.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 October 2010

Villa Sarna is the only place I have stayed at in Bali but I have travelled a lot around the world and I would have to say that it was the most outstanding place I have ever stayed at. From the amazing room service food to the staff and villa run bus to take you pretty much any where you need to go in Ubud, it was fantastic. The lacation is private and beautiful and the grounds and gardens are breathtaking.

I was a very happy guest!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I stayed last September in Villa Sarna and I really enjoyed it. The service was outstanding and the hotel really nice and clean. I loved their gardens and nice views.

Bear in mind that this hotel is not located in Ubud but in the countryside, if you need a ride to Ubud you can use their shuttle service (about 15 minutes drive).

I added a personal review and some pictures in my blog (in Spanish though):

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I was an Australian engineer for the Marriott & another 5 star for many years & know exactly what to look for in accom .. front & rear of house staff. I cannot speak highly enough of Villa Sarna. We were treated like royalty and the accom was absolutely wonderful. Absolutely nothing was a problem for them.

The resort dog (whiskey) will take you from your room to breakfast & back again..we completely fell in love with him, ive never seen a more placid likeable quiet dog. Seriously just stay there...i will certainly be back. They run 7 shuttles a day / evening allowing you to choose how long you wish to stay in Ubud shopping / eating and when you return, there is the beautiful silence of being out of the town. The people working there really know how to look after you. I felt like family right from the start.

The real trick here is that they only have some seven rooms thus its a very private resort. Again have no hesitation with booking here...we loved it !!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank markdimad
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Villa Sarna was very nice, the staff were all very kind and helpful. Great location, rooms were nice and clean. We had a very big balcony which was great to sit out on in the mornings and afternoons. Only 10mins from the centre of Ubud, and the Villa offers a free shuttle service. I'd seen lots of people talk on previous reviews about the Villa's dog 'Whisky', and he deserves all the credit he gets, a beautiful dog which my 14 month old loved.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I don't believe I was treated so well in any hotel before. The setting is beautiful, far away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud. It's about a 20 minute drive and they were very generous about picking us up and dropping us off. The breakfasts were marvelous, and the view of rice paddies and statues and the beautifully carved front door were wonderful. the breakfast tables allowed us to meet fellow travelers, or be alone and quiet. They kept my luggage locked up for a few extra days upon request. It's a small place, and so you feel like they treat you like family. The rooms were clean, large, with plenty of storage. Be prepared to climb some steps to the room. The landscaping was also beautiful, and the pool small but very pretty. The massage was the only thing that wasn't perfect about the place. There's also no real restaurant except room service from a nearby restaurant, so it's best to eat your lunch and dinner in Ubud before returning.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Villasarna, Owner at Villa Sarna Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Thank you very much for the very kind review that has been posted. It really means a great deal to us and we're so thrilled that you felt like a "king and queen" during your stay at Villa Sarna. We try to do our very best to make sure everybody feels like they are part of our family.

However, I would like to address certain aspects which the review said was not entirely perfect. After speaking to the masseuse, she told us that the woman was extremely sensitive whenever touched and would shriek at the slightest bit of pressure. Because of this, our masseuse made sure to do the massage with extremely light pressure and was quite hesitant to do a normal massage. If this was perceived to be a less than perfect massage, it was only because our masseuse was not able to do so, in order to make the guest comfortable and prevent her from shrieking. I spoke to the guest myself and she informed me that for some time now, she has had trouble walking even 200 feet without feeling pain. Every morning, our staff would bring an ice water basin to both the breakfast table and to her room for her feet because of the pain associated with limited mobility. So, with all that we gleaned from the info above, it would be safe to say that perhaps the woman was not the best candidate to receive a full body massage and in no way does it reflect the actual massage services that we provide. Guests constantly praise our massage services and I have not seen a complaint yet about our very knowledgeable masseuses.

Secondly, I wanted to clarify what was said about our restaurant Kampung Cafe. I assure you that is in fact a real restaurant and it is quite reputable on the island of Ubud. It is a 3-5 minute walk and provides fine Indonesian and Western cuisine in a stunning atmosphere. It is listed in many of the top travel guides such as Fodor's and Frommer's, and to even be mentioned in those guides proves that the restaurant is very well known and reputable. People come from distances just to eat at Kampung Cafe. Our guests have the pleasure of dining there or enjoying room service throughout the day and well into the evening.

I thank you again for your very thoughtful review and I hope that I have clarified some of the issues mentioned. We look forward to hopefully serving all TripAdvisor members at Villa Sarna in the near future.

Best Wishes,
Satnam Sarna

Reviewed 30 September 2010

We booked Villa Sarna via internet, no recommendations. We had wanted to be in Ubud but were absolutley delighted to find a beautiful setting, a warm welcome including flowers on the steps to our room ( with a beautiful view) and warm and friendly management and staff. And what a beautiful shower area - even flowers in there.We could not fault anything. And, we were able to get into Ubud as often as we wanted too - ( which turned out to be not so often- too busy) only 15 minutes and with a delightful driver. We found that being outside Ubud central was just what we needed - so peacful, more authentic Bali. We could not fault anything, except that other accomodation that we subsequently stayed in ( 4 places) were not comparable at all, especially when we had to move into Ubud itself - Villa Sarna spoilt us somewhat! We would highly recommend this delightful Villa to others.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple