Villa Sarna Ubud
US$139
US$688
US$538
Agoda.com
All reviewsminute drivefree shuttle servicerice fieldsbrahmadrivervillajunglegreenerynaturehillsidemidstasiamotorbike
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I stayed at Villa Sarna with my family over New Year's, and chose the hotel primarily because of all of the fabulous reviews it had received on Tripadvisor. I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. The hotel is in a beautiful location, for sure. But the fabulous service I had read about was a disappointment - all of the staff was friendly, but their very limited English ability made every interaction very difficult - ordering food, making reservations to drive to the airport, discussions about the bill, etc, all became a chore.
The rooms themselves were also a disappointment. With only one picture of each room on the website they look pretty decadent and beautifully decorated. In reality, there are tacky plastic shampoo and soap dispensers on the bathroom walls that kept making me feel like I was in a public bathroom along the highway. We also spent one night in the Shiva room which pretends to have a king size bed, but which you quickly realize is just two single beds pushed together! I paid over $200 USD for one night in that room (with extra high-season fees), but it really should be more like $75. My parents stayed in the Ganesha suite, but were very disappointed to find that it was like living in a fishbowl - both the bedroom and sitting room had large glass doors that opened out simply into the stone walkway that every other guest and hotel staff member had to pass through to get to other parts of the hotel. That room was closer to $300 USD a night - pretty ridiculous for a room that affords absolutely no privacy.
I didn't have a bad stay here, but I know from my extensive travels throughout SE Asia that it was incredibly overpriced, was somewhat tacky in places, and I didnt experience the ease of service that I had read so much about here on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank kaitlinb
Villasarna, Owner at Villa Sarna Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2011

Thank you for the review that has been given and we at Villa Sarna really appreciate receiving constructive criticisms and improving our services and facilities to promote the best possible experience for our guests. However, after reading this review very carefully, I must say that I do not agree with most that has been written and stand to say that is quite an unfair characterization of Villa Sarna. I would like to respectfully explain:

Firstly, it has been written that our rooms look "decadent" on the website, but dismiss the entire room's beauty and amenities based only on the shampoo and soap dispenser in the shower. I would like all Tripadvisor guests to know that all of the bathrooms are meticulously detailed, made entirely with natural bronze marble and stone, with full length glass showers; the type of bathrooms that are found in the best 4 and 5 star hotels. To say that because of a simple soap dispenser that millions of people buy for own their homes, and make the remark that our bathroom looks like something you'd find off a highway and pigeonhole the whole room to looking as such, is just simply untrue. For this reason, we will install Stainless Steel dispensers in all our marble and glass bathrooms as soon as physically possible.

With regard to the limited English ability of our staff, I have mentioned in previous reviews that I sincerely apologize for this, but they are trying the best they can. English is not their first language, and the English tutoring we are giving the entire staff naturally takes time. But one thing I can proudly say is that I will not let go of any of our staff members based only on their language ability, because every single one of them are the most genuine and heartfelt employees I have ever had, and they view Villa Sarna as an important part of their lives; not just a job. They have worked with us for years and trust each other like family. That is why we are training them, as opposed to hiring new people that would initially view Villa Sarna as simply a job. That is not what we strive for at Villa Sarna and I would like all guests to know that. Almost all Tripadvisor reviews attest to our staff's indefatigable work ethic and desire to do whatever it takes to make guests feel wonderful.

I would like to address the comments about the peak season pricing of our hotel. Saying that a night in our Ganesha Suite (700 sq feet) in a hotel of our caliber during Peak Season is only worth 75 USD is quite flawed. We were completely in line, if not lower than most hotels of our caliber. The statement has no validity, and I would even say that anybody would be hard pressed to find a two star hotel room at that price during peak season. Also, regarding the comment about the lack of privacy in the Ganesha Suite, not only do we have large curtains that completely block out everything from both outside and inside the room, but also just a few days ago, we went even further and carefully landscaped the outside of the Suite with beautiful tall plants to ensure ultimate privacy and to add to the already natural and serene setting.

I wholeheartedly appreciate constructive criticism and every review that is written as acted upon immediately and improvements are made faster than most hotels. But, when things are written that unfairly portray our hotel in a negative light, we at Villa Sarna feel the need to defend ourselves so that guests understand the truth and see the other side of the story. Thanks much and we look forward to having you all as guests very soon! We are extremely passionate about our hotel, and we are always at your service and sincerely appreciate your business.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

had a great stay at villa sarna and wouldnt hesitate to go back! in fact we cannot wait to go back to bali to stay here! we stayed in villa krishna and it was perfect! nice and spacius with a balcony overlooking the rice paddies and pool area. the grounds in this hotel are just beautiful, so calm and serene and great for relaxation! the inroom massages were also great and good value! the food wasnt too bad, although it is not cooked at the hotel but a small cafe downt he road and the food quality was a 3.5/5. the pool area is beautiful and relaxing also, and the pet dog whiskey was defineltey a highlight, such a beaiutiful friendly dog, i miss him already! its nice and close to ubud city and they have a car tht will drive you there and pick you up later on. overall we had a grat stay at villa sarna and will most definetly go back on our next trip to bali!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mattmia
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Our stay at the Villa Sarna has been amazing, the hotel, the staff, the room...it could not have been more perfect! The rooms are very spacious, extremely clean and luxurious...! We would go back there any time in the future and recommend this lovely retreat to everybody who is planning to stay in / near Ubud (Villa Sarna offers free shuttle to Ubud, about 10minutes drive). It is a place that makes you feel home immediately and has truly been the best hotel on our trip! The staff is wonderful, we miss them already!

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We were looking for a nice kid friendly place to stay that was close to Ubud, and we found it at Villa Sarna. The staff at this hotel is wonderful. They are warm, friendly, and ready to help you make the most of your time in Bali.

Our family of five (kids aged 2, 6, and 10) stayed in the Ganesha suite, which accommodated all of us and our belongings nicely, such that we didn't feel cramped. The room was lovely and clean. We ate at the very nearby restaurant a couple of times, but for most of our meals in, we had the restaurant deliver to the dining room at Villa Sarna, which was a nice convenience to have. The food is delicious, and the prices are very reasonable.

We hired one of Villa Sarnas drivers almost every day, which was great. We were able to come and go as needed, and our driver, Made, really made our trip special. He offered suggestions, and accompanied us to several places serving as the best tour guide we could ever ask for.

We are planning on returning to Bali in the coming months and are hoping to stay at Villa Sarna again. Highly Recommend!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2011

My partner and I arrived at Villa Sarna on Christmas day 2010. We chose to stay at Villa Sarna after reading good reviews about it. Let's say that we were not disappointed at all. We're both well traveled and this place would rate as one of the best we stayed.
Villa Sarna combines the best of private villa and boutique hotel.

The ground is beautiful, the staff is very proficient, friendly and charming. Everything is super clean and no exception to detail has been spared.

It's a pleasant 20 minute drive from Ubud and Villa Sarna has free transfers every 2 hours. Free Wifi throughout. The breakfast menu is a little on the small side but there is no issue with ordering seconds, extras, etc...

We stayed there 3 nights and could / should have stayed longer. It will definitely be on our itinerary on our next trip to Bali.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple