“Perfect!”
Review of Royal Villa Jepun

Royal Villa Jepun
Ranked #121 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My son and I spent five nights at the Sunny Blow. The lush environment and comfortable room (not at all luxurious but adequate) were only matched by the kind, generous and helpful staff. It was hard to leave!
There are a range of restaurants in the sme street with some that were obviously popular - Naughty Nori's was reasonably priced yet you he the full range including Casa Luna and Bridges. Opposite the hotel is the Neka Art Museum with a wide range of contemporary Balinese art. To easethebody, there are a multitude of spas up a nd down the road including Bali Botanical whichI highly recommend.
I loved ubud.. A fusion of east and west with the Balinese firmly are of mind to maintain their culture and identity while the immigrants seeking analterntivelifestyle seem tobe bringing the beat of the west. No MacDonalds!,,,

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jg2ginger

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I booked this property sight unseen purely based on Trip Advisor reviews.

It was difficult to book, showing up as full or unavailable on the usual booking websites, but a friend who lives nearby went in for me and booked it in person and they had plenty of rooms, and they kindly accepted the booking without deposit.

I visited the Japanese restaurant adjacent to the hotel for lunch a week or so prior to my stay, and went to have a look at the rooms, and I thought it was charming. I think the word "villa" is a bit misleading though, really I'd say "bungalow". I offered to confirm my booking by paying, but they said "no you can pay when you leave". Very kind. A week later, after a quick trip to Thailand, I returned to Bali and went straight from the airport to Ubud and Sunny Blow Villa... Unfortunately I had a bit of a dodgy tummy (I must say, the bad tummy came from Thailand and nothing to do with this hotel), and I just wasn't feeling great. The staff are just lovely, so kind and sweet, and they made me feel very welcome. The room was lovely and spacious (I had a larger "deluxe" room) and comfortable, with beautiful antique furniture, a comfy bed, a lovely day bed on the verandah, and I would normally have loved it I think, had I not been feeling rough. I just found the bathroom to be a bit grotty, and when you are not feeling well, well, when I am not feeling well, I want a really clean and comfy bathroom. The bathroom is typical for Bali, half outdoors & half covered, open to the elements, so decoration is quickly ruined. This one needed a really good clean, or probably really it needed repainting & redecorating. Plaster and paint are very badly mouldy and flaking, plugs are rusty, the bathtub grout really needed a good clean (or re-doing) and the towels were really really old, thin and threadbare. Some curtains on the toilet window would be really nice too. At present, if someone is sitting on the toilet, they can be seen from the room, and in fact from the front terrace if the front doors are open. There is sort of a half curtain, but it is totally ineffective. I was staying with someone (still a quite new relationship), and being sick, I found the whole experience a little traumatic. The other thing that I found really uncomfortable was the proximity of neighbours. It is totally impossible to have a private conversation on the front terrace of the bungalow. Neighbours are only metres away, and although the staff come around in the evening to drop down some matchstick blinds in between the verandahs, you can still see your neighbours feet and hear every word of their conversations. Romance would be impossible. And finally, the pool. Sorry guys and this will probably get the cleaner into trouble (although the owners surely must notice anyway, you don't have to look that hard) but the pool is constantly dirty, with green slippery mould on the surfaces under the water (steps into pool, etc). I noticed it when I went to visit first and I thought to myself that it was probably just a delay in maintenance that would be remedied, but no, it was the same when I returned.

Now, for the price, this room was lovely, the place is sweet, the staff are kind, and had I been feeling better I probably would have kicked back and enjoyed it, but, I would never have enjoyed the lack of privacy, and I would never have got into that pool, no matter how I was feeling.

All food from the adjoining Japanese restaurant was beautiful. I had room service for most of my stay, and ventured into the restaurant on my last night, all lovely, and always good service. I had booked this hotel for three nights, but I left early after two nights, and moved into a more upmarket hotel which better suited my mood.

The location too was a little far away for me to really enjoy, a lesson I have learned about myself from this trip, I think if I only have a few days somewhere I am better off closer to the town centre.

Part of this review process is to give a mark out of five for service, etc. Normally, if small hotels have no fitness centre or spa I give them the highest score, but in this case, I have given the lowest rating for the fitness centre and spa, not because they are bad (they don't actually exist), but based on the dirty pool.

If I was really on a budget, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I chose deluxe, I never did know my room number during my stay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dadamanga_Tours
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I stayed here for 8 nights at the beginning of a five-week holiday on Bali and Java, and I liked it so much that I returned for another week at the end of my trip. What Sunny Blow offers: a beautiful, lush garden with a very inviting pool; very comfortable and clean rooms; very pleasant, hardworking, and helpful staff; and a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere in a charming old Balinese-style setting. For the first few days, the location, across from the Neka Art Museum in Sanggingan, seemed a little inconvenient, as it is roughly a 25 minute walk to the center of Ubud. However, after spending a few days on the streets of central Ubud, I was grateful to be staying away from the crowds and traffic. I enjoyed the walk into town (and it felt shorter and shorter each time!) and when I didn't feel like walking, or was coming back to the hotel with bags after shopping, it could not have been easier to hop in a taxi (30,000 IDR) or on an ojek (motorcycle taxi, 10,000-15,000 IDR) for a ride back to the hotel. As for the surrounding area, there are more than a few very good restaurants close by, from the outstanding Minami next door to the cheap and tasty Warung Pulau Kelapa down the street. There is a supermarket just down the street and a convenience store and ATM just a few minutes away. I was very happy at Sunny Blow and was so sorry to leave!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Hard to choose stars for this place. I probably should give it 3 stars, but had I paid what everyone else seems to have paid I'd probably have given it four and been less critical.
We stayed here in July - August for 6 nights and enjoyed our stay. However we did not feel it was great value. Our room ended up being $100 a night, not the $45 or so that others are talking about. It was a large room with a queen bed and another day bed that my two small kids were able to sleep 'top-to-toe' on. The room was gorgeous. Very lovely. But it was also so dark in the daytime that it was impossible to read.
There was also no view, either from the room or any part of the property - except of the gardens, which were nice I suppose. I know I'm sounding picky here, but last year we stayed at Tegal Sari in Ubud, paid $75 a night and had a room with a spectacular view out over rice paddies.
By contrast, the Sunny Blow Villa Jepung property is a relatively small narrow compound with rooms backing onto one wall of the propery. It's Bali-style, I know.
But over the back wall there is a small lane and houses and shops. We were very clearly able to hear motorbikes going back and forth, children waking and being children at 5.30am (we have kids so not really complaining!) in local houses, and mutant roosters who thought 3am was a great time to crow. There was also some kind of night club nearby and although the music did not keep me awake, I was conscious that I could still hear it at 11pm when I decided to turn out the light. All of this would be fine if we were paying $45 a night, but for $100 we did expect more of that promised 'quiet'.
Other negatives, before I get onto the positives. Quiet... untouristy...there are lots of really nice quiet places in and around Ubud. But I think this one was more annoyingly remote, than quiet. It's on a major road, so you get traffic noise. There weren't nice places to walk close by. There were a lot of fairly bad art galleries, I suppose, and a few passable restaurants. It took about 25 minutes to walk into Ubud central. To get out and do a rice paddy walk took about 20 minutes to reach the start (at least from what we worked out).
It was annoying to us to have to haggle with drivers in the street any time we wanted to get out of the narrow strip of restaurants we were plonked among. Last year at Tegal Sari, a car was included that would take you anywhere in Ubud for free and pick you up. I guess we felt we were paying more here and getting much less. Haggling two, three, four, five times a day for a basic lift ends up not being much of a holiday.
There was also a rat in our roof. I'm no whimp and we've stayed in some pretty out-there places. But watching a rat run up and down a beam over my kids heads as they slept annoyed me, when I was paying $100 a night. Also, unlike the Queen bed, the children's bed had no mosquito net which made me feel they were much more exposed to the rat and the mosquitos than I was. For $100 a night, I think my kids should have had a mosquito net provided.
The outdoor bathroom. Actually a highlight for me. The hottest water I've ever felt, and I loved showering under the stars.
The breakfasts... We had the Japanese everyday and it was amazing. Yum, Yum. I hear the restaurant is pretty good, but very expensive. The one meal we got for room service was not great ... My daughter ordered a potato salad. It was a decent price. Out came a small bowl with perhaps half of it (less than two tablespoons) of actual potato salad, and the rest filled up with lettuce. My spaghetti was also expensive and incredibly small, not big enough for me by a long shot. Four forkfulls and it was gone.
Other odd annoying things. Bit amateurish in the office. Internet did not work for the first 36 hours we were there. Asked several times for help just after we got there and was told there internet was down for them also. Went back a day later and found a woman near reception who couldn't help me cause the boss was away for the day. Eventually she let me into the office so I could unplug the modem and re-plug it in. This fixed the problem! Believe me I am no computer technician!
Sunny Blow is so quiet that whe you want something you need to knock on the door to the kitchen or wait around looking for someone to help you. No one ever sits at reception - they are always out doing other work. This would not have bothered me if I was paying $45 a night, but $100 is a bit of a treat to us and we expected more.
Up sides - I did give 4 stars, afterall.
The staff were lovely. They were so sweet I've had to wait a month before working up the guts to write this fairly negative review (and am giving 4 stars when I probably really mean three!). Really nice people and very happy to help when asked.
The Japanese breakfast was magnificent.
I really liked the way someone came around and turned the bed-down and lit mosquito coils and turned lamps on every evening just as it began to get dark. It was a nice 'old-world' touch. Made us feel cared for.
The gardens were very nice also and the rooms beautiful. So overall, if you can get a cheap room, go for it. $45 would be very good value. But if you're going to pay $100 a night see if Tegal Sari has a cancellation.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AustralianLucy
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed here 1 month while doing an Indonesian language course at Cinta Bahasa.

The rooms are simple but mine was equipped with what I needed (fridge, a roof fan, desk and wardrobe).

As stated before, yes the toilet and shower is out back of your room which for me was not a problem.

What I did love about this hotel was the staff, all of them very friendly and helpful, and if you like Japanese breakfast, you can have it at Sunny Blow. Yummy!
I also loved that I was offered a cup or a pot of coffee when I was sitting at my veranda studying.

The B&B is also next to (and with same owner) as Minami, in my opinion the best Japanese restaurant in Ubud.

You will also find a lot of good restaurants and spas within walking distance of the B&B.
Like Naughty Nuri's (ribs anyone?) Mosaic (fine dining) and Warung Pulau Kelapa (Yummy Indonesian). And Putri Bali Spa next doors for massage.

I would definitely stay at Sunny Blow again!
Be it a day, a week or a month.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2012

This B&B is quite a find! Quite simply put, you can not find better value in Ubud. The accommodation is simple but adequate (if you can get past the brown blankets), the outdoor bathroom is quite an adventure as you will have to learn to co-exist with the lizards but you would get that with any of the Ubud luxury hotels that offer the same arrangement as an Ubud special. The breakfast is superb, particularly the Japanese one made next door in Minami. Some of Ubud's best restaurants are within 3 minute walking distance: Mosaic (splurge), Kimiri, and the Warung establishment of Naughty Nuri's. Uma by COMO spa across the street is one of the best on the island. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are very spacious for families, standard room is perfectly sufficient for a couple
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My stay was absolutely great. Being a rather small villa, it gave tranquility and a very quiet atmosphere, fitting to Ubud. My friend and I actually said that it felt like time had stopped and we're in a limbo.

The Japanese breakfast was beyond great along with a very warm service. We met the owner, a very nice Japanese lady and she went the extra mile to make sure our stay was comfortable.

Even though it is a 10 minute walk to Central Ubud, the fact that it is next door to a Japanese restaurant and you can order it to your room is pretty cool. And you're only a 2 minutes away from Naughty Nuri, the famed rib-place in Ubud.

For this price, I doubt you can find anything as awesome. Cheers!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends