“A great budget option in a nice part of town”

and 1 more site!
Merthayasa Bungalows
Ranked #165 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at Merthayasa twice on this trip & found it to be an excellent budget place in downtown Ubud. The location is at the 'quieter' end of Monkey Forest rd -a decent walk up to Jl. Raya, but close to excellent coffee (Maha is nearly across the road) and restaurants. Downstairs rooms have great wifi coverage. The pool is really nice to come back to after being out exploring. The rooms are average, good sized, clean and with a comfortable bed and pillows. Definitely no bedbugs here as another reviewer claimed! Staff are friendly and unobtrusive -available to help you if you need, nice & pleasant when they serve brekkie in the morning on your balcony, not pushy (which is a great change). Overall I think this place is well run & a fantastic budget option. Most of their rooms were full the whole time we were there!

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Good value for money as the location was good, but can't say I was overly impressed. The pool and garden surroundings were nice. The room was VERY basic. The bathroom could have used a good cleaning. I would definitely recommend bringing a sleeping sheet as I didn't trust how clean the sheets were...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We originally booked in here for 3 nights as on first inspection the room seemed fine.

We came home from dinner only to find lots of bed bugs crawling on the bed! On closer inspection the sheets had lots of old blood stains and dead bugs squashed into them!! As it was after midnight reception was not open so we had to try and sleep on the tiled floor instead!! We checked out of the room as soon as we saw the reception was open the next morning. When we told the managers why we were checking out and how we had to sleep on the floor he couldn't have cared less!! All he said was "ok" and didn't even apologise!! We showed him pictures and a video of the bugs and he didn't look one bit surprised so I am assuming we weren't the first to complain! We also still had to pay full price for the night!!

We also found the bathroom constantly had a horrible smell and the shower was terrible! The swimming pool was nice but that's the only positive I have about the place. We didn't stick around long enough to try breakfast!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Rryan123
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I came here after staying at some very rustic bungalows and checking out some other comparable places that were much more expensive. Kadek was incredibly helpful and was able to get a room ready for me quickly. I waited by the beautiful pool and had breakfast. The room was basic and clean enough. The price was reasonable. I stayed in the room closest to the street. I would not recommend this room if you are noise sensitive. The traffic noise and street conversations are loud. The reason I have given this place such high ratings though is because of the staff! They are all exceptionally helpful and friendly!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed here for 8 nights and it was a great location. Right on Monkey Forest Road only a 5 minute walk to Monkey Forest Temple. We had a very clean double room that even had maid service. We had hot water, a/c, and breakfast delivered to our patio every morning. The best part is the beautiful pool and lounge chairs. A nice perk after a hot walk around town. We were a 15 minute walk to the yoga barn which we went to every day. A lot of decent restaurants nearby and live music every night just down the street. The men that own this hotel are very attentive and can arrange all your needs. We booked both our bike trip and white water rafting trip with them. They also helped us arrange onward travel to Ahmed. Wi-Fi_ was good. If you want a reasonable priced place to stay close to everything this is your spot..

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

Went around ubud to find a nice cheap place to stay. After thousands of in and out of guesthouses, and finally I've chosen Merthayasa Bungalow. Luckily I can still remember the location. Strategic location-walking distance to everything. The rooms are spacious and nice. I had a fan room but it feels like aircond. Breakfast served at ur room(pancake+mix fruits+coffee/tea). Friendly and helpful staffs. This is the best place for the price.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This has a great pool area where you can relax. I had a fan room on the second floor which was close to the road so it was noisy first thing in the morning. The room was large and bathroom was very basic. The room and bathroom were cleanish.
Try and get a room further into the hotel grounds. There seems also to be a new part which was
full when I enquired. The breakfast was great pancakes, fruit and tea.
It is ideal for the main street and you can walk everywhere from here.
Don't have great expectations when checking into here

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo