“Cancel my reservation without notice”
Review of Hibiscus Cottages

Hibiscus Cottages
Ranked #99 of 538 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Penang
“Cancel my reservation without notice”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I already make a reservation for upstairs double bed room by bringing the email as proof. After I carry my luggage under big rain so far away to reach this hotel. The guy told me the room is not available .......very disappointed....he offer us one downstairs small room which is not in good condition as alternative. We don't accept it, furthermore, the reason we book this place is to have nice paddy view...

Terrible, some more didn't offer any discount as compensation....only tell us one word..."sorry".....

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank bocakap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I stayed in this lovely place for six nights and hated to leave! The breakfasts were incredible and there was always hot water for tea or coffee available. I had an upstairs fan room and, really, didn't want to leave. The location in the middle of rice fields was lovely, day or night with incredible sunrises and sunsets, ducks and frogs. Mr. Ketut Balloon and his family do a wonderful job and I look forward to a return visit to this little bit of paradise. Make sure you go to Hibiscus Cottages off Jalan Bisma - not the "formerly Hibiscus Cottage".

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Birdie3
Sliema, Malta
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We spent one night in this charming small hotel located close to all services but eccentric enough to wake up in the rice fields and ducks. The rooms are huge fenestrated the 4 sides and marble bathrooms overlooking the rice fields. Breakfast is done carefully, the best we've had in Bali! Frankly for the price, this is the best choice in Ubud.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank juliegeo
Taichung, Taiwan
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Room was extremely clean and bright. Sitting in your own front door,you can see the sun lit up the yard and if you are on the second floor, see the sun lit up the rice field.
Breakfast was good, staffs were nice,location was ok(15~20minutes to Ubud market). There was a charming double deck family room which had the best view ,perfect for people traveling with kids. I will recommend this lovely cottage to anyone who prefers a very quiet place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Megan19
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I was impressed with the size and cleanliness and ventilation of the room, (and bathroom) I stayed in, which apparently is smaller than some of the other rooms on offer (like the 'Honeymoon' cottage) for a similar price of only 250,000 Rp ($28 AUD) and this includes a hot breakfast served to you with a smile, on your traditoinal patio surrounded by beautiful tropical plants. Very soon after we had arrived, a tray bearing a large hot water thermos flask (that kept water hot for hours), cups with saucers, sachets of tea. coffee and sugar and a little jug of milk was brought to our patio. My friend Janice and I stayed on the lower level of 1 of the cottages, and you can stay in a 2 roomed cottage for 350,000 Rp including breakfast if 1 is available. All the cottages are beautifully carved and decorated in true Balinese style and for a 'Homestay' type of accommodation, it's just great!
The property overlooks the rice paddocks and you will need to walk a little from Ji Bisma Rd, where you can park a vehicle, to arrive at the cottages and is is well sign posted along the way. It is only a 10 - 15 min walk to central Ubud and the markets.
The staff, and I Ketut and his family who own the Hibiscuss Cottages are very pleasent and are only too happy to assist where they can. They will arrange transport (from 50,000 Rp or $6 AUD) from Denpasar Airport to Ubud's Hibiscus Cottages - about 1 and a half hours drive; as well as your transport back to Denpasar.
I enjoyed my overnight stay here and wished I could have stayed longer - truely a comfortable stay in a little piece of paradise!
A little advice - Don't use a hairdryer or power appliance that is over 1000 watts as it may effect the power supply and cause it to cut out.

• Stayed September 2010
5 Thank Claireaussi
Pasadena
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights last week. It's quiet, being out of the main Ubud area. The price for the downstairs room was $30 USD. Ketut, the owner, tried to get another 10% as I was leaving. Please don't sign up for any tours or drivers with him. My driver was supposed to speak good English. He was the worst driver I had. When I canceled for day# 2, Ketut said it was OK, but never actually canceled the driver. Sorry, but the man lies. Also, I signed up for the downhill bicycle tour directly on Monkey Forest Rd, and got a better deal. Ketut was very resentful that I did that. There are so many places to stay in Ubud. It's nice, but watch the price. He will try to take you!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank froggy01
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We are currently staying at the Hibiscus Cottages having extended our stay from four nights over new year to a week. The cottages are surrounded by rice fields in a lovely quiet location that is just a few minutes walk from the main streets of Ubud and fifteen minutes walk from Monkey Road. We are staying in one of the cheaper rooms on the ground floor which is spacious and clean as a new pin. The price includes a hearty breakfast menu from which you can choose eggs, jaffles, pancakes etc and fruit salad or juice. Maddy does the best poached eggs we've had so don't leave without trying them! Breakfast is delivered to your terrace where you can sit and enjoy breakfast al' freso. Tea and coffee are provided all day long too......

Our room didn't have air con but did have a fan. We left the windows open and fan on and slept under the mosquito net and it was comfortable. The cottages are set around a lovely shady courtyard which is quite cool and a welcome relief from the sun at times.....

It is a family run place and the family are really lovely. My fiancee was unwell for a couple of days and they were most concerned and couldn't do enough to help. Maddy who is employed there was very helpful in organising a moped for us and even picked it up and delivered it back. They also organised tickets for a dance show for us so that we didn't have to deal with the ticket touts!!

This is a wonderful little homestay that should not be missed - we will certainly be back next time we are in Bali.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Impala_28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Uma Sari Cottage
#376 of 537 in Ubud
Meruhdani Guest House
Meruhdani Guest House
#5 of 46 in Gianyar

Been to Hibiscus Cottages? Share your experiences!