“Not something I would go out of my way to visit”
Review of Yeh Pulu Temple

Yeh Pulu Temple
Ranked #36 of 138 things to do in Ubud
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Yeh Pulu Temple Build on 14th or 15th century and are in a very attractive rice field setting. You can reach Yeh Pulu on foot through the rice fields from Goa Gajah but you will definitely need a guide for the 45 minute walk as there is no path to speak of. Alternatively turn off the Ubud to Gianyar main road about 400 metres east of the entrance to the Goa Gajah complex. Drive through Banjar Batulumbang until the road comes to an end. For here walk down the track to Yeh Pulu passing the small warung on your left. As well as the carvings there is a holy well here and the attendant priest will be happy to bless you with the well water. Temple dress code applies here. Yeh Pulu is a much under-rated and under-visited site - highly recommended.
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We visited here not really knowing what we were going to see. When we did finally get to the carvings we took ote of them but they didn't really stand out as being that much more amazing than many of the other things we had already seen in Indonesia. Obviously they are extremely old, but the site seemed to be missing a spark of some sort. Worth a visit if you are in the area but I wouldn't plan a day around it.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Yeh Pulu is one of my favorite places, and has changed very little in 25 years. Now there is a small admission fee, and they have paved the path down to the carvings, but it is still the same quiet, peaceful place. Yes it's just a single wall of carvings, and once you've seen them there's nothing else to do. But they are very fine carvings and well worth seeing, different from what you see at other sites in Bali. Very few people come here, so you will probably have the place to yourself. for me, a site which is both somewhat different and also uncrowded is the most worth visiting. unlike the other recent solo woman traveller, I was not frightened by the guide, nor put off by his request to accompany me, even though I needed no guide. We had a perfectly pleasant conversation. Perhaps the difference is that I speak Indonesian, or that I'm older, but I found him perfectly polite. At any rate, 50,000 is nothing to me, and ordinary people in Indonesia are so desperately poor, so I didn't mind being asked for money.

1  Thank Fay W
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

The 11th century relief, historical site and the carving on the stone wall helps us to imagine how the people's life at that era. The name of Yeh Pulu is derived from Yeh means water and Pulu means water jug, there is a spring water covered by water jug believed as holy water by locals.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I took a group of 10 others here with me and it was the first time for all of us. Several of the group were first timers to Bali while the rest of us have travelled to Bali on several occasions. The entrance fee was only Rp15 000 each and included the compulsory sarong. We used the service of a guide which cost Rp125 000. This was not much per person however we did not negotiate this price and in hindsight could have got it cheaper but were happy to pay this amount for his knowledge and information. It was a fairly easy walk down to where the stone carved wall was located. It was very interesting to see but having been I probably would not feel the need to go back. It was not that it was bad but just that once you have seen it there is nothing more to see. There was some light drizzle while we were here and some spots on the path proved to be slippery for some members of the group so ensure you wear sneakers or other good walking shoes. The surrounding scenery was lovely. At the end of the path (where the stone carved wall is located) there is a little, old lady who blesses you for a small donation. I am glad I have ticked this one off the long list of attractions I have been to in Bali.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Small temple, at the bottom of a creek with few old rock carvings in poor condition. Rp15,000 to enter and the smooth talking 'guide' negotiates a further fee to show you through. If it is an option, I would not bother with the guide. Old lady blesses you with water at the temple (generous use of the word) and then wants donation for her services. I would not bother with this site unless you are really into temples and have done most of the others. Very slippery surfaces in places, so wear shoes with good grip. Would not go back.

Been to Yeh Pulu Temple? Share your experiences!