“Very Special Place”
Review of Villa Sabandari

Villa Sabandari
Ranked #6 of 620 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This place is Ubud's best kept secret. The Villas are away from Central Ubud but they have transport to take you there. The guy who drives the van is so friendly. Sorry I don't remember his name but nothing was ever too much for him. He even remembered it was my birthday on the day we checked out and he came to tell my bye and to enjoy my birthday. I can not comment enough on how wonderful the staff were. The only downside to this place for me was the outside bathroom and shower. Although it seemed a romantic and great idea at the time the reality was that I was met in the toilet or shower several times by either a frogs or lizards. If you are close to nature and these things don't frighten you in the middle of the night then it's a plus for you. I don't count this against the villa as it advertises that the showers are outside. I didn't expect the toilet to be outside although covered but no door.
I would still visit again although my screams in the middle of the night would not be welcomed by my partner as he refuses to stay any place again with outside facilities because after the first night I woke him up to go check the toilet before I went outside every night after that.
Brilliant Villas for people who love nature.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShoeLady6

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This place is "magic"!!! We planned to stay there 4 days, finally, we stayed 6 days. Everything is perfect... The location, the quality of the rooms, the owner (Belgian professionalism), the super-friendly staff members... And even the quality of the other residents.
Ubud is a great city, centrally located, and easy to visit other regions of Bali. But don't feel obliged to be in a rush of visiting everything. Just enjoy the place, take some time to go to Yogabarn, the best place to do some yoga, and feel the fibes of Bali in a different way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Truly, this may be one of the most wonderful places I have stayed anywhere in the world. The setting in the rice paddies is extraordinary, the design and style is cutting edge and yet still intimate, the pool is heavenly and the food and service is second to none. We loved the individualised breakfast, the terrific service and the lovely little afternoon tea in our balcony. It was actually great to be at walking distance from town but the collect service made life very easy at night indeed. The attention to every detail was gorgeous, from all the fittings and fixtures, to the windows, to the amazing outdoor/indoor shower. I still dream of Sabandari months later, and am just looking for any excuse to go back. But sssssh, the problem is I want to keep it secret, so I don't have to share.....

Room Tip: Loved our corner suite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Nestled a little way out of central Ubud, but not too far to walk really, Villa Sabandari is secluded and intimate. The service is excellent and the complimentary shuttle makes it so easy to get anywhere. We used it often, and the local restaurants all seem quite happy to phone up to call it to come for you.
Our room, Barong, has a lovely view over rice fields as well as overlooking the pool. The room is spacious and clean, the wif-fi works perfectly, the outside shower is a nice touch and the bed is s-o-oooo comfortable. The spa service is a real treat too.
But for me, the major surprise was in the library; yes, books and DVDs but also - a keyboard and a guitar! I sat by the pool and strummed as birds and insects flitted by, as the breeze wafted through palms, as geckos chirruped. Heaven.

Room Tip: Barong is the best room - it's upstairs and overlooks both the pool and villa area as well as th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We loved the slick contemporary yet essentially Balinese design complemented by really wonderful service at Villa Sabandari. We made frequent use of the too and from complimentary luxuery shuttle-a nice touch? The breakfasts were excellent and they indulged our request of coconut rather than cow milk. The view onto the ever changing rice paddies is quintessential Ubud. There is even a small temple that emerges mystically from the early morning mists each morning just across the terraces.

At check out our credit card would not process and the owner very graciously allowed us to arrange payment upon our return home!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

We selected destination for our honeymoon. The staff are friendly well informed and not over polite. They really took care of us, great relaxed atmosphere, with just enough privacy.

The breakfast is of a high standard a mix of both traditional and healthy dishes. The management are super helpful arranging tours, picks ups, late night taxis. What the owners have here is a little jewel. Would hate for this place to change or increase in size. We will return for our anniversary for sure.
A tip is to book the Barong room, by far the best views and most quiet. Although the farmers do shout the morning to drive birds off the neighbouring rice field.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We loved the Villa Sabandari- we stayed in "Baris". Could not fault it at all. This is a really beaufiful place, so well decorated, a fabulous outside shower and a big balcony with a couch, chair, table. Nice and quiet, no kids and no loud road outside (all though its hard to escape the sound of mopeds anywhere you are in Bali). Its close enough to the center to walk- takes 15- 20 minutes and we had no problem walking back either at night (all though the hotel will drop you off and pick you up for no charge also).

We had our breakfast and afternoon coffee served on the balcony each day which was really lovely. Room was clean, food was really good (the breakfast varies each day and is a surprise but we were happy with it all). We received a day tour in our stay as it was 3 nights- a nice touch and chose to go to the temples close by. We also got a 15 massage each included in the room price and i had an additional massage treatment which was very good. Unfortunately during my "flower bath" there were workers right next door drilling so it wasn't very peaceful.

The only thing i would have changed, is to stay in the room next door (called Barong) which had a front view of the rice fields instead of a side view. Was a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Choose Baris or Barong which are the 2 upstairs rooms for a better view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple